Truck Caps

Curious if anyone has a truck cap and if they have any recommendations. Are all of them fairly leak proof? That is my #1 issue with the tri-fold bed covers - they still leak a bit at the corners.

If you need a cap for a pickup, you probably should have bought an SUV or van. At $4,000 for one of those, you could actually buy another SUV or van for that much.

My father had 1 leer cap on his 1987 Dodge Dakota, and another leer on my mom's 1998 Dodge Dakota. No leaks to my memory.
I owned a 2019 Tacoma for about a year with a new leer as well. No leaks.
All of them were basic caps with color matching.

Go to the ram dealer and talk to the used car manager. If we get one on trade they have me take them off. Sure they would give you one for a song. Got one of another guy I work with for nothing and I got paid to take it off 👍🏼

Go to the ram dealer and talk to the used car manager. If we get one on trade they have me take them off. Sure they would give you one for a song. Got one of another guy I work with for nothing and I got paid to take it off 👍🏼
That is some very interesting information.

Thank you.

I've kicked around a cap but there's only one time per year that it would for sure benefit me and that's our annual beach trip, it's always a puzzle to get everything fit under the cover. Even looked at soft caps but they're not cheap especially for one use per year.

I had a Leer on my '05 Canyon. Back in '05 it cost me $1200 new which seemed absurd but in today's market that's dirt cheap.

No leaks that I recall, but we don't get a lot of rain.

One reason I chose Leer back then was the dual latches, ie one on each side. It's more crude but dead simple and I had been traumatized in childhood by inexpensive caps that used a central knob with poorly designed linkages that hung up or didn't engage both sides.

I should hope that has been improved over the years. I appreciated the dead simple reliability of the dual latches, but -- and while it's unquestionably a First World problem -- it could be annoying if you were in and out of the cap repeatedly....or think "oops I forgot something." Also having to lock both sides for security was kind of annoying.

Otherwise I think Leer is one of the better manufacturers.

And if necessary for your vehicle please get a logic circuit for the CHMSL. Seeing people with caps who have their CHMSL flashing with a signal just screams "hack." Yeah, one of my First World pet-peeves.....

And if necessary for your vehicle please get a logic circuit for the CHMSL. Seeing people with caps who have their CHMSL flashing with a signal just screams "hack." Yeah, one of my First World pet-peeves.....

I hate seeing that! Drives me nuts.

Reactions: D60
I think the cap that would suit your wants and needs would be $4K easily and it would no doubt be great and waterproof.

Remember when you could have an aluminum one custom built for you? I wonder if that's till a thing. There was a truck outfitting shop not far from me that used to do that and all kinds of truck accessories while you waited.

I see them come up on Marketplace for literally pennies on the dollar. Not uncommon to see them for '09-14 F150s and '03+ Rams for $300.

Obviously the catch can be color. And like anything else, when you're actually looking none will be available. As soon as you buy one you'll stumble upon five used ones that would have worked great.

Reactions: JTK
Yep, I got mine from an auto recycler. Cheap but perfect fit.

Mine had "seepage" in the corners. Not often. Was no big deal, never got standing water. But if it mattered, I would toss stuff into a plastic tote, then I knew it wouldn't get wet.

I have an ARE now, and had one on my previous truck as well. the first one was $1550, color matched. The second one I bought one model up, and was $1850 color matched in 2018.

the window in one leaked from an assembly defect. Fixed it with caulk. They both can let some minor water in at the hatch during the rain. Have greatly enjoyed them both, very much.

I have a Leer on my GMC. It leaks a little at the corners of the hatch. It has the crank out windows, clothes hanging rack and a center hatch lock. The hanger is useless for hanging clothes on. The hatch lock is power and locks with the key fob when I lock the doors of the truck. I wish I had gotten a 12v outlet back there instead of the rack.

If you’re ok with a flat cover, just get an extang vinyl tonneau. Yeah it doesn’t flip in thirds. I’ve also had mine in use for almost 25 years and it has never leaked once.

• Wow
Back