Truck Bed Cap?

I want to make better use of the truck bed. I've used it a handful of times for small couches and larger items, but it's generally empty. A bed cover is the other option.

The caps are $4k-$5k. It would be nice to have especially if the kids want to sit in the back at the beach. Would act as a tent. I'd put a bed rug in too.

I'm not sure it's worth it though. It's a small bed. I don't care how it looks. Look at it from a completely utility perspective. There have been times I could have used it and didn't because of the weather.

Do they negatively affect the resale value? That's another question.

Something like the one below:

1688493615696.png

My prior Tundra, I always wanted a cap, but like you, the cost was too much. So I did a tonno cover for a bit. Which kept the snow out, and the rain mostly, and was ok.

After a year or two, on CL a local auto recycler listed a Tundra cap. Now I had a white truck and the cap was green, but... at $200 who was to complain? I drove down, they literally dropped it onto the truck, came with the clamps, and I was done. Was quite happy. The color contrast actually looked good IMO.

I liked the setup but I have to say, it did have its drawbacks. Basically had to get onto all fours to get into the back, and the one time I helped someone move boxes of stuff, my back was giving up after 10 minutes of moving boxes (mind you, a couple weeks before I moved my entire house without an issue--the difference? I was towing an enclosed trailer that I could walk in and out of, no bending over).

Not sure I would get a cap again, if I ever got a truck. Probably, as I like the look and utility, but only if I could get one that cheap. Today's trucks, with the high bedside rail, might as well have a cap as I can't really reach over and grab anything, not without a stepstool. If I had a Ridgeline maybe I'd prefer the open bed, as I think that has a lower side, and is much easier to reach in and grab things (not sure, never tried). But the cap does make it easier to move stuff, just toss it in the back, it's not going to fall out (yes you absolutely should secure all cargo at all times, but let's be real, most of the time... no one does).

Did you actually get a quote?

In 2020 I got a quote and I think it was like $5500 - but that was opening windows, roof rack, double locks and a bunch of other stuff.

I asked for a quote on a color matched A.R.E in the most basic form - no options - and it was $1850 + tax. I am sure they have gone up a bunch since, but you might still be looking at a lot less than $5K if you can go with something basic.

I have owned four pickups and had caps on all of them. I found them to be worth every penny I paid for them (although not as much as the OP's stated price). I've bought 'em new and used, and have been happy with all of them.

I took my trucks on long, cross-country trips and used the beds for camping. I slept in the beds, cooked on the tailgates, and even put two trucks back-to-back and draped a tarp over the caps to make a small room where we could sit and eat and socialize even in light rain.

I love 'em, and I'd get another if I were to buy another truck.

Check out Brian Waters Outdoors on YouTube. He has an AC unit in his truck bed cap for camping that looks pretty nice. The temp started at 115 and was lowered down to the 70's in the Texas summer heat.

Did you actually get a quote?

In 2020 I got a quote and I think it was like $5500 - but that was opening windows, roof rack, double locks and a bunch of other stuff.

I asked for a quote on a color matched A.R.E in the most basic form - no options - and it was $1850 + tax. I am sure they have gone up a bunch since, but you might still be looking at a lot less than $5K if you can go with something basic.
Yep, my daughter’s ARE was $6,000 plus tax five years ago. Of course since Dad was paying, she ordered it with all the bells and whistles like pet screens, led lighting, fob locks and color matched in dark slate metallic.

I’ve had two trucks, and two caps. Both were ARE and under $2k new, custom made and painted to match the truck. Leer also starts in the same price range. A bare-bones cap is $1500. Add a fold down front window for $150 if you want, and interior carpet for the same if you want. my current one had the carpet free for a short time. For the cheap covers, I prefer the locking mechanism on the ARE better.

the top gets in the way when carrying large items, but for most of my use, I prefer to have it. I can keep spare tools back there in a milk crate, and I don’t worry about rain or securing loads. I can just barely squeeze my ZTR back there. If I could do it again, I would buy the taller shell. I debated on it and decided I wouldn’t use the extra height, and was wrong - the mower and general in-bed access would be better, but then I might not be able to enter parking garages. If I had a trailer, a tall shell wouldn’t be needed.

My color matched LEER XR100 cap to my truck with front sliding window, LED lighting, full side sliders and premium rear hatch was 2500$ 3 years ago. 17 F350 short bed

Ouch! I didn’t realize the cost of truck caps has outpaced inflation by that much! I remember color matched fiberglass caps being under $1000 in the late 90’s. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with one, and I like the ability to haul things without worry of weather damage. However, I also have two trucks with open beds, as the 2013’s 5.5 ft bed makes me think of it more like a big SUV with a divided cargo area than a pickup. I notice that caps are more popular up north due to protection from snow and the added weight over the rear axle. I inherited this truck from my dad in Wisconsin. I’ve gotten a few compliments here in Texas about the cap (rarer here).
IMG_9881.jpeg

Ouch! I didn’t realize the cost of truck caps has outpaced inflation by that much! I remember color matched fiberglass caps being under $1000 in the late 90’s. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with one, and I like the ability to haul things without worry of weather damage. However, I also have two trucks with open beds, as the 2013’s 5.5 ft bed makes me think of it more like a big SUV with a divided cargo area than a pickup. I notice that caps are more popular up north due to protection from snow and the added weight over the rear axle. I inherited this truck from my dad in Wisconsin. I’ve gotten a few compliments here in Texas about the cap (rarer here).View attachment 165142

A tri-fold fiber glass tonneau cover costs a $1,000.00. A BakFlip or the like. I put our e-bikes in the back of my truck to go to the bike paths all the time-a fiberglass cover would do me zero good. The Bakflip leans and locks against the rear window for short trips. Longer trips they come off in less than 10 minutes. The tri-folds weigh around 50 pounds-can be stored anywhere when folded up and not in use.

It's been 12 years but I paid just under $2,000 for a new A.R.E. cap for my Ridgeline. I can't fathom new ones being $5,000 plus. It limits your versatility in hauling certain things, but I bought it for long distance travel and for my dog since I have a sliding rear window for some heat/AC. It was a good buy for me, and it's held up well, but I wouldn't pay $5,000 for a new one now.

It's been 12 years but I paid just under $2,000 for a new A.R.E. cap for my Ridgeline. I can't fathom new ones being $5,000 plus. It limits your versatility in hauling certain things, but I bought it for long distance travel and for my dog since I have a sliding rear window for some heat/AC. It was a good buy for me, and it's held up well, but I wouldn't pay $5,000 for a new one now.
I just ordered a new Leer fiberglass topper for my Tacoma. 3K. It will be here in a week, ordered first of June. You can spend 5K if you want to, but don't have to at all.

The ones I see pictured look like short beds, I wonder what a cap for a long bed would cost now ?

I paid just over 2 grand for a new basic Leer cap color matched for a Tacoma. $4-5k is rich people money.

caps have been super expensive for at least 10 years. When I bought my first 'modern truck' (a 2012 F150) I wanted one bad. I even started gathering material to build a frame to lift it on and off of the truck before I actually priced them Bought the truck used, 24k. A new base model cap to match was going to be about 2.5k. It blew my mind. Now a nice one for my 2018 in Lightning Blue is about 4500 (for a nice - not base model). I thought I could buy a base one for a grand or so....

F it - I learned how to camp in the back of my crew cab lol. Just had to do it one night last week!

My color matched LEER XR100 cap to my truck with front sliding window, LED lighting, full side sliders and premium rear hatch was 2500$ 3 years ago. 17 F350 short bed
New? You got a heck of a deal...... Base models around here start at 2.5k

Back