Toyota D3 filter to 10K

This is in my 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L with 116K. Would you guys push the factory D3 filter that long? Currently running Fram Ultra but I’m noticing more of the infamous 4.0L ticking noise with this filter. On the D3 I didn’t notice it much.

5K is the interval.
Yes, on a 2015. At some point (not sure what model year) Toyota bumped that up to 10K miles I believe for non-severe service. Some new Toyotas are most likely using the same filter P/N as the 2015 does.

Update - here's the maintenance schedule for the 2015 and 2022 Tacoma. The 2015 shows a 5K OCI, but the 2022 only shows a 5K OCI for severe service.

See page 38.

See page 38.

Last edited:
Depends on year...

If your required interval is 5k miles, then I would use any filter for 5k miles. I wouldn't fall for the 'marketing' of a bazillion mile filter.
Should be room for a +1 oversized if you want to extend the filter interval. But, I recommend that oil and filter be changed together always. I never try to be the hero that used the filter for multiple intervals. I like my engines too much. Filter marketing is not much better than used car salesman tactics.

Ticking noise? what grade and brand of oil? level full?

What I would do is swap just the filter now and top off the oil. If the ticking goes away, you have your answer.

He's talking about a Toyota OEM oil filter. Toyota doesn't make any "up to xyz" mileage claims on their oil filters ... it's buried in their maintenance schedule as I showed in post #6. Things have changed in the Toyota maintenance schedules between 2015 and 2022.

Interesting it is 5,000 miles, most Toyota's had gone to a 10,000 mile interval.
That filter is designed with a 10,000 mile interval though because of all the other vehicles that are running that mileage.
The single VVT 4.0L requires conventional 5W30 with a 5K interval. The dual VVT 4.0L in the 4 runner and FJ are 10K I believe 0W20.

Depends on year...

If your required interval is 5k miles, then I would use any filter for 5k miles. I wouldn't fall for the 'marketing' of a bazillion mile filter.
Should be room for a +1 oversized if you want to extend the filter interval. But, I recommend that oil and filter be changed together always. I never try to be the hero that used the filter for multiple intervals. I like my engines too much. Filter marketing is not much better than used car salesman tactics.

Ticking noise? what grade and brand of oil? level full?

What I would do is swap just the filter now and top off the oil. If the ticking goes away, you have your answer.
I started using Amsoil SS 0W30 with the factory filter. Oil levels are good. I went 5K with the factory filter then swapped it out with the ultra filter. The ultra is 1” taller than the factory. They say the tick is from injectors. Before the filter swap the ticking barley was there, now you can hear it.

Highly doubt an Ultra is becoming clogged much in 10K miles if the engine is clean inside. Newer Toyota OMs say 10K OCI/FCI with non-severe service with the OEM filters.

So, I wouldn't push that OE filter to 10k. How long are you using the XG filter that you can hear ticking?
They all tick. It’s not the filter. Toyota typically specs a 10k OCI with synthetic and 5k with conventional using the same filter in multiple vehicles. I’d think 10k is fine if you wanted. I just go with factory 5k intervals on my 2011 tacoma because that’s about once a year now.

The D3 is a Thai Denso that is essentially a cartridge in a can.

They all tick. It’s not the filter. Toyota typically specs a 10k OCI with synthetic and 5k with conventional using the same filter in multiple vehicles. I’d think 10k is fine if you wanted. I just go with factory 5k intervals on my 2011 tacoma because that’s about once a year now.

The D3 is a Thai Denso that is essentially a cartridge in a can.
Thanks

Back