Toyota 5SFE owners please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for us Toyota owners to talk about our beloved Camry's. Here's my issue that I need your help on.
Frams give me a knocking noise at start-up, even the XG style. Wix gives me a start-up knock. My prized Nippons give me a start-up knock. The Toyota OEM's don't give me a start-up knock, but also lack a silicone ADBV.

So who's using what? And are you experiencing a knocking noise with your prefered filter?

I've used Toyota OEM and non-Toyota Densos on it. No problems with either. It had a Fram when we got it...don't recall any issues with that but I wasn't about to use another. I'll probably use a Nippon next time (I use them on Nissans all the time) Not anticipating any trouble with those either.

I use Mobil 1 10-30.

94 5S-FE Camry: I get the start-up knock with anything but Toyota OEM. I also notice that with any filter I use, the filter is completly empty 10 minutes after shutting down engine, doesn't matter what material anti-drain back is. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the OEM oil cooler.

I think your right noodlerooney. I just put a Toyota OEM (Denso made 90915-YZZF2) filter on and the noise went away. I guess OEM is the only way to go for this particular problem.

Cheers

I switched from Toyota brand to Pureolator Pureone at about 173,000 miles, and I'm at 197,000 now, and I havent heard any unusual start up noises. Now that I think about it though, as long as I can remember I have had a purring sound when it's below 25 F. It's not a constant sound, just an occasional purr. Anyone know what that could be?

I am using the white quaker state filter for the past year now (easier to get, and find on sale for around $5 CDN)

No troubles yet.

The Toyota supplied filters are top notch though, but I have to go out of my way to visit a dealer to get them.

I recently switched to NAPA Proselect (Wix) from Denso (made somewhere around Thailand)...I find those Denso filter don't seem to be as sturdy as the ones made in the USA. Engine sounds happy with NAPA, no probem with oil flow and oil pressure.

I had this problem on two different higher mileage Toyota motors. Mostly on colder mornings such as below 35 deg F. In both cases the only two filters that solved the problem for me was Toyota OEM and Purolator Premium plus.

The Fram was the worst by far. But also had Purolator Pure One and Wix give some early morning start up knock. Both with Silicon ADBV.

The silicon ADBV does not seem to be as important as actual oil volume flow from what I can tell on my Tototas.

Anyone else have the problem of the oil filter being completely empty after only 10 minutes? I have never seen anything like this before in my life, and I have been doing oil changes since I was 14 years old, wow, 35 years now. But never changed oil on an engine with the "doughnut" style oil cooler.

Hey!! There is a Volkswagen filter that is not only oversized but has a PROPER anti-drainback valve, it doesnt rely on the silicone/rubber (which never does anything, really), its an actual metal check valve that you can see inside of the middle filter hole (the clean oil area). This is the way Toyota should have designed their filters because of the retarded mounting angle it has. Check em out, I dont have any part number at the moment, though. A similar valve can be seen on Fram PN's 5343, the cousin to the 7317, except fitted with the proper oil check valve. While the 5343 PN filter is rather rare, if you ever saw one you could draw a paralell. This comletely solves the dry start up of 3/5S-FE/GE's worldwide!

I put the slightly longer Pure1 PL14477 on a 99 5fse with no morning start up knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back