To change or not to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it doesn't matter what the mfg says. I have never, ever changed a factory fill where I didn't glittery stuff in it. Get it out of there. My wife's 2018 Cherokee got changed at 1900 miles and the oil had break in metal in it.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
My girlfriends new 17 Civic is approaching 5,000 miles on the factory fill oil but the oil life still reads 60%. I know Honda says to leave the factory fill in until the car tells you to change the oil and I am sure most people do. I was thinking of changing the oil this weekend and letting the MM run down to the 15% and by then the car will probably have about 10,000 miles.

Normally I would not care, but, judging by what the MM reads and the cars current miles I would rather not let the factory fill run out to about 10,000 miles. What do you think?

If it's a purchase vehicle, change it.
If it's a lease, keep it in until the manual states it must be changed.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
OP you have three choices:

1. Listen to folks on the internet and change it.
2. Listen to folks on the internet and don't change it.
3. Listen to Honda and do what they recommend.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Trav
They don't use a break in oil, the higher moly content comes from the assembly lube to prevent dry start, after initial start it serves no real purpose.
If it were mine the oil would have been long gone like 4K ago.
Really ?
Would Moly not continues to perform as solid lubricant within as originally intended ?

You want a little wear in a brand new engine so the parts run in with each other better. If anything the excess moly will just prolong that process.
While it is not as noticeable on newer engines it still needs to take place. We often read about how machining is better today than it was 50 yrs ago but that's not true, 50 yrs ago they could produce a finish as fine as they can today but back then the engineers believed it was better for the running engine to finally "marry" the parts together which required a lot of engine break in.

You forgot "leave the oil in, take a sample for UOA and decide when you get the results"

laugh.gif

That said, I'm a fan of early changes.

Same here.

It does "FEEL GOOD" to change it at 5,000.... and that's why so many parrots are saying change it.

Do what ever you want -

HONESTLY, if you had NEVER heard of BITOG in your life
and never logged in here, and didn't know much about cars...........

You'd simply follow Honda's OLM guidance and continue to live a happy life.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

If it's a purchase vehicle, change it.
If it's a lease, keep it in until the manual states it must be changed.

Likewise, If you trade in cars every five years like some do (I keep mine 20+ years)
Then you'll just follow the OLM and don't ever worry about early oil changes.

There is no data I'm aware to prove it matters one way or the other. It's a Civic. I'd let it ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back