300k honda civic on mobil 1 0-20

Uses zero oil between 8500 mile interval changes. Gets 43mpg, doesn't rattle on start, no knocking etc.
By the way I am still running the original factory iridium spark plugs.

Pretty happy with the civic and M1 oil. I bought the car new in 14 and its 85% freeway miles.
I also warm the car up for 10-20 mins before driving every time.

Uses zero oil between 8500 mile interval changes. Gets 43mpg, doesn't rattle on start, no knocking etc.

Pretty happy with the civic and M1 oil. I bought the car new in 14 and its 85% freeway miles.
10 to 20 min warm-up. That is the opposite of what every mechanic I have ever known has told me.

Seeing as they joined yesterday and just had to throw in the 10-20 minute warm up before driving, my gut feeling tells me this is a troll post

Seeing as they joined yesterday and just had to throw in the 10-20 minute warm up before driving, my gut feeling tells me this is a troll post
Yeah, warm the car up for 10-20 minutes and still get 43 mpg.

The warm-up has no correlation to the engine longevity. There are a lot of vehicles with very high miles that never see a long warm up. (Start, idle maybe 10-15 secs and then drive away with "normal" throttle application). I personally have had multiple vehicles accumulate more than 250k miles and never saw more than 20 secs of warm-up time. It's more likely that the OPs claimed miles are due to "85%" freeway driving.

And averaging 43 mpg after idling for 10-20 minutes every single start up? I find that VERY hard to believe.

Why 8500 mile OCIs? That's not an easy conversion from km's, and it's not an easy multiple to use for remembering something. Why not 7.5k miles or 10k miles? That, too, is very odd ...

Last edited:
The warm-up has no correlation to the engine longevity. There are a lot of vehicles with very high miles that never see a long warm up. (Start, idle maybe 10-15 secs and then drive away with "normal" throttle application). I personally have had multiple vehicles accumulate more than 250k miles and never saw more than 20 secs of warm-up time. It's more likely that the OPs claimed miles are due to "85%" freeway driving.

And averaging 43 mpg after idling for 10-20 minutes every single start up? I find that VERY hard to believe.

There's an argument that long engine warm ups are one of the worst things you can do at idle speed...

Agreed. Back in mid January we had a week of near zero temps and there were at least 3 mornings I let my car idle for 10-20 min. That tank of gas was 15% lower than average for me (26.5 mpg vs average of 31 mpg). Now imagine if I let the car idle that long every single start up.

There's an argument that long engine warm ups are one of the worst things you can do at idle speed...
Not good for original, factory equipment spark plugs that supposedly have the entire 300k miles on them either.
I wasn't born yesterday.

But it was darn close to being pitch black outside and in the back seat of our Packard. Mom & Dad barely made it to Manistique Hospital October 5 1951. Mom never said afterwards whether I got dropped by the delivery doctor.

How many miles does your motor have?
I think it's more appropriate to say your car made it to 300k miles *despite* being idled 10-20 minutes at every start up. If you start the car and drive off immediately but gently (keeping the rpms <2000rpm), you accomplish the same thing, but you actually get to your destination faster and get more MPG. So, drive gently and at low rpms until it warms up, then drive it normally.

Excessive idling = excessive fuel dilution and reduced MPG. The only time I idle is out of necessity: defrosting windows or getting interior temp out of dangerously cold range.

I think it's more appropriate to say your car made it to 300k miles *despite* being idled 10-20 minutes at every start up. If you start the car and drive off immediately but gently (keeping the rpms <2000rpm), you accomplish the same thing, but you actually get to your destination faster and get more MPG. So, drive gently and at low rpms until it warms up, then drive it normally.

Excessive idling = excessive fuel dilution and reduced MPG. The only time I idle is out of necessity: defrosting windows or getting interior temp out of dangerously cold range.
Exactly correct.

And further, it’s due to the robust design of the engine not the selection of that particular oil.

Assuming any of that is factually truthful.

There’s the proof 0w20 doesn’t kill engines. Happy motoring 👍

I don't know about warm up. My wife hits the button on the 4Runner it fires up as soon as she can she pulls in in reverse and she's gone. I some how don't think it's going to destroy it's self. I wonder how many people in the world are just like her, and how many vehicles see XXX,XXX number of miles with proper maintenance. She's put many miles on many different vehicles just like this and we have't had an issue. The only time she ever warms anything up is if she has to park outside at work and it snows on it or it is really cold.

Back