Time to be the not so nice guy anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Anyone else to this point in their life?! My entire life I've always tried to be the guy who would be smiling,ready to lend a hand to people for help,etc.

Are you helping people and getting [censored] on for it? Guess I don't see why anyone would start having this viewpoint.

I mostly walk away from people who want to get me engaged in thier drama. Stupid people get less and less of my time. I judge who they are. Once judged as stupid I just spend less time with or around them. Those left to spend time with seem to be making my life richer. I try to make sure I am reciprocating that experience for them too.

I recently watched a DVD series from the BBC on the Vikings.

As a people, in general, Earthly possessions were not particularly regarded; until they eventually became wealthy through trade, they generally buried all the deceased's valuable possessions with the body. The Norse God culture and the warrior mentality meant that everything ... and I man everything ... of the measure of a life was based solely on reputation.

Basically your possessions died with you but your reputation, good or bad, lived forever. It's was their concept of immortality.

Now, it would be a tough argument to say that being a "Nice Guy" was the mark of one with a great reputation amongst the Vikings. But it might be argued that it's the measure of a man today, in a society with the least amount of violence in history. Some might be surprised at that assertion, but to argue otherwise is to have a poor grasp of human history.

None the less, there is a difference between being a "Pretty Good Guy" and being a pushover. Not everyone gets the nuanced difference between being respected and being used when it comes to helping others, but once (or if) you figure that out, you know what to do next.

Of the Criminals I've known, whether from childhood or met as an adult, by far the most dangerous ones have been those who are extremely "nice". It's the Con Man's and the Sociopath's first weapon.

The greasy or threatening ones are easy to spot and there's no need to be polite there. I just dealt with a Punk a few hours before I post this today; I was in line waiting outdoors and he wheels up and says "I was in line" as he placed himself behind the guy in front of me (a little to my right, but clearly intending to butt in as soon as the line moved a foot or two). Perhaps I should add this was about midnight, and he was about 20. We did not have common ancestors. He had common ancestors with most of the others in line.

I'm 60 and not that big, as I'm recovering from illness and only weigh about 160 on my 6'1" frame. But as I was driving the Miata with the top down on a cooler summer night, I had my leather on and stand tall, didn't back off an inch, and he probably couldn't get the measure of me, what kind of person he was dealing with, what I might do next. But I grew up in a low-income neighbourhood and know how to deal with Punks.

I waited a moment, then said "You were". I waited another moment and said "But now you're not". He didn't say anything, but when the line moved, he didn't and I did. No need to be polite there.

Some people are nasty and bitter.

Even here they like to [censored] on other people’s posts about car wax decisions.
smirk.gif

10 pages of bickering and arguing about something so silly and unimportant. SAD

Nope not related to that at all actually. It just seems in general people in public have became more rude and its getting worse.

I blame social media. To many people getting information on others that lead to jealousy and such, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Nope not related to that at all actually. It just seems in general people in public have became more rude and its getting worse.

I blame social media. To many people getting information on others that lead to jealousy and such, IMO.

On social media, most people try to ‘one up’ their fellow Facebook friends and family.

Me, me, me, me....

Social media surely amplifies things but "me, me, me" and ego feeding isn't new.

What amazes me, on that thin slice of this discussion, is how thoroughly stupidity and consumerism dovetail. How people brag and about what.

Keeping up with the Joneses, visible-gosh tattoos, TV shows about screaming uneducated people, blind willingness to agree with politicians.

Appreciation of strong, straight growth and the environment which is required to support that growth is polluted or lacking.

Police and prison guards have to have an available hard edge. It's too your advantage if you lean that way naturally but "all work and no play....".

Originally Posted By: Rat407

People are used to being entertained, instant gratification and have lost their ability to communicate (cell phone)

Because you can’t see the other person you loose 90% of the communication and people turn into faceless numbers and that extends into “real life”

Scientifically a child exposed to screens especially before age 5 is permanently stunted mentally and emotionally,
Many studies on that fact, this means a child in the bush is gaining advantages and it also means we are running a big social engineering project.

Relationships and birth rates have steadily dropped as we have continued into the electronic age and this has less to do with people being empowered and more to do with the fact that people can’t get along.

Ah well, brave new but stupid world

To that point Rmay: I respectfully refer to "it being over for mankind" darn near every day. People aren't people anymore.
They are collections of impressions and earning potential. Life was too abstract long before it got electronically "streamlined".

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
....... I have no use for people in general. I dont want them knocking on my door. I dont want them chit chatting with me at the grocery store. And I sure dont wont them approaching me at the gas station and asking me for money. And I pity the fool that attempts to victimize me.

We are programmed from little kids to be polite to everyone. Criminals on the other hand, grow up in dangerous neighborhoods. They are NOT taught the same value structure that most "normal" humans. They are taught, and intimately learn, about predator vs prey. They see politeness, helpfulness, and cheerful attitudes as weakness. They WILL use this against you. You do NOT have to be polite to everyone. If your radar is going off that something is wrong, and you think a person might be dangerous or otherwise trying to victimize you, or is otherwise just a scum bag that you'd rather not converse with, you absolutely should not be nice to them. Dont smile at them. Dont be friendly with them. Be direct, look them directly in the eyes, and tell them to back off, stay away, you dont want to talk to them, you dont want to be best buddies, and you are going on your way.

There is a time to be polite, friendly and cheerful. And then there comes a time to be not that. Its hard for most "normal" folks to be "mean" or direct with someone, but its a very valuable skill to learn and "occasionally" practice, in my opinion.

At this point, Im mostly a grumpy middle age man. A product of my environment, no doubt. Do whatever makes you happy. If thats being nice and making new friends, then so be it. If thats walling yourself off and staying away from others, then so be it.

Excellent points made here. This nonsense of, "being nice to everyone" is both silly and stupid. And can be outright dangerous in many situations, as Bubba has pointed out. I don't get involved with my neighbors. Mostly because they just want to know your business, and see what you have. They all talk too much, and before you know it your business has become everyone's business.

The friendliest guy on my block has had his home broken into three times in the last 15 years. He ended up moving last year. There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood. He was most likely victimized by the same people he was overly friendly to.

I don't care what other people say or do, and I don't like hearing, or being part of general gossip. I don't have, or go to neighbors garage and yard sales. I have enough junk. When I want rid of it, I throw it out, rather than sit in the hot Sun all day trying to make a couple of bucks. And then have to listen to everyone's B.S. all day long. My porch light is OFF on Halloween night. I don't buy candy.

I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting something or someone. Strangers don't call on you to give you money. They want it from you. I firmly believe the more reclusive you are, the safer you are. If the people on my block think I'm nothing but an unfriendly, retired old codger, good. Especially if they stay away from me because of it.

Most everywhere I have lived, the neighbors who get broken into and burglarized the most, are usually the people who are the friendliest, and entertain the most. Or else have a pack of kids running in and out all day. All it takes is one wrong person, and you'll get an unwanted visitor. It's only a matter of time. I've seen far too many examples of it to be convinced otherwise.

The world as a whole has become such a rough place.
It's OK for you to think anything you want, just don't vocalize it and make it public, someone will take objection.
Guys that care are certainly in the minority. I've had to walk away from several people lately where in the past a conversation, a coffee, maybe a burger would have solved the conflict.
Good thing, I'm down a few pounds from walking and not eating burgers.
The block list here, and on my phone has grown exponentially.

I got 99 problems, you ain't one.

Last edited:
My favorite line from Stripes. "lighten up, Francis". I enjoy smiling,holding doors and generally being genial. Its infectious, AND it makes ME feel good too. I used to be a crusty old coot. Now I have been in remission for 9 yrs and I have 2 grandsons. I have many good reasons to smile and to spread good will.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Compassion is not the same as stupidity

Agreed. Nor is it a sign of weakness.

I'm not going to quote Bubbatime's whole post, but he does make important points.

There are times to be nice and help others but you also do not want to get steamrolled over since there are plenty of people willing to take advantage.

As I get older, I'm learning that it is better to be good than to be nice.

There is a difference. Be good because it's the right thing to do. That means that sometimes, I'm not going to be nice.

The nice guy expects others to be nice because he is nice. That's a losing game. Be good because it's who you are. It's your values, your ethos. Expect nothing.

You may need to be no-to-nice in order to be good.

The nice guy stands for nothing for fear of offending. The good guy takes a stand against evil and injustice because it's the right thing to do.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
As I get older, I'm learning that it is better to be good than to be nice.

There is a difference. Be good because it's the right thing to do. That means that sometimes, I'm not going to be nice.

The nice guy expects others to be nice because he is nice. That's a losing game. Be good because it's who you are. It's your values, your ethos. Expect nothing.

You may need to be no-to-nice in order to be good.

The nice guy stands for nothing for fear of offending. The good guy takes a stand against evil and injustice because it's the right thing to do.

This 100%.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour

The nice guy stands for nothing for fear of offending.

Not exactly. Personally I don't "fear" offending anyone. I just believe its not what my (non-earthly) Dad expects of me. I try to express the love for others He put inside of me. But yes, its really, really hard to love the unlovable.

Actually that is a perfect example of purposely "standing for something", if you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back