Just clueless; military mobilization unexpected so soon

Let your folks know ASAP. They have to deal with it too, and the more time they have to prepare the better. In case of emergency, they need to be sure to have their passports up to date and to have a credit card with plenty of available credit. They may want to participate in the Family Readiness Group or the modern day equivalent. Mostly they need to be able to wrap their minds around all of it.
My son had two deployments interrupt his schooling, but he now has an MBA in finance and is doing very well. You'll do fine. Good on you for going.

Reading the original post, it's tough to tell who is more insecure, the OP or his parents. Maybe a bit of both.

I've been sharing this bit of wisdom a LOT this past year. It was shared with me some 45 years ago at the beginning of my ongoing career:

Work hard and passionately to please yourself first and most everything else will fall in place. If you work hard to attempt to please others, you will always fall short and be disappointed.

Accepting this concept took a load off of me. It might sound selfish or narcissistic, but it makes perfect sense. You cannot expect others to love and respect you if you don't love and respect yourself first. So yes, dedicate yourself to you first. Lots of excellent advice above - awesome people here sharing their personal wisdom. One of the very best aspects of BITOG over the decades.

Kid your parents are going to be proud that you have decided to serve your country. Do so with your head held high and do it for them. School will be around when you get back. God bless and thank you. My step son is in Korea and was told the same thing.

TH

Back