Just clueless; military mobilization unexpected so soon

I’ve never been so clueless than today, really. It’s like 9 at night not feeling like i can sleep tonight. I do feel like venting though. Nothing much better i can do.

I came back home earlier in December, signed up for college and all that stuff, and now instead of moving into the dorm, I got notified for mobilization. Nobody in my immediate family knows, and I don’t even know if I can tell my parents which is going to be the hardest part.

Here I am already behind in life, clueless, and without a solution to stated problem for the first time in my life. I expected a mobilization but not so soon. So here I am squandering for my pre mobilization without anyone knowing.

The whole expectation with my parents was that I was going to college and so did I, things were going to be great, I guess they still are, but that look on their faces is going to be the worst thing ill see, they already barely coped without me being around for 6 months, but a whole year and some change is going to be something I can’t imagine.

The only thing i can think of part of a solution is doing online classes with the time that I do have. This sucks and I’m clueless. Don’t know what else to do besides vent or something dont know.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's something to process. Hopefully someone else who is military will come along shortly.

In the meantime, when do you ship out?

As to your parents... hopefully they realized, when you grew up, that you were moving out. As I get ready for mine to move out, I will add, don't mistake bittersweetness for regret. I will be sad when my kids move out... but happy for them at the same time. It will be difficult for me to send them off (I'm assuming here, not there yet). Perhaps your parents are just letting their emotions show? Happy when you are back, worried when you leave?

Are you actually being mobilized for deployment or 'admin replacement' type stuff overseas? AFAIK there's no more combat deployments.

I noticed that the moderator changed the thread title from "Just Clueless" to "Just Clueless; military mobilization unexpected so soon"

That's why I asked the stupid question in post #3.

Let your chain of command know your worries ASAP. Tell a couple of trusted friends.

In the MA Army national guard, we had something called the Family Assistance Program— granted this is 20 something years ago. I’d imagine something like that still exists. It was a core of volunteers who included counselors for such situations as yours, plus financial planners, home health aide coordination, home repair, etc. They could help with solutions to almost any conceivable problem before, during, or after deployment.

You should expect at least one drill weekend dedicated to aspects of your personal life that have to be addressed.

If you don't want to be in the military, why did you sign up?
Seems college is your dream, so I wonder why is all.

School wasn't my thing, and I needed to work and make money to survive, so dropped out of high school.
But for me it was a choice that I made.
Much like you joining the military was your choice.
So why not now be happy for the opportunity, and put 100% of your effort into it.
If you still want to leave in a few years and go to college, do so then. You're young, take this as an opportunity to learn, and earn money, also you may enjoy it if you go in with the proper mindset.

If you don't want to be in the military, why did you sign up?
Seems college is your dream, so I wonder why is all.

School wasn't my thing, and I needed to work and make money to survive, so dropped out of high school.
But for me it was a choice that I made.
Much like you joining the military was your choice.
So why not now be happy for the opportunity, and put 100% of your effort into it.
If you still want to leave in a few years and go to college, do so then. You're young, take this as an opportunity to learn, and earn money, also you may enjoy it if you go in with the proper mindset.
I’d love to go, really. Its my parents im worried about ):

Good news is college will be there when you get back. This happen to a friend of mine. He ended being gone two years. His parents were a bit confused, but knew that duty called. Sure they will be fine, they will just have to adjust.

My friend ended up finishing college, and into the workforce and did well. He even ended up joining the reserves anyways…..

My kids are much younger than you. As a dad I would say one day I too have to let my kids become independent. I think my parents are still trying to helicopter over me sometimes but that's not annoying to me anymore like when I was in high school. Your parents will be fine. I would be worried about my children if they are sent out to combat but I think non combat duty would make me feel much better.

Your parents will be fine. Call them once in a while. They will see that you have grown and mature over time. My parents did when I came to US as an exchange student for a year when I was 15.

I’d love to go, really. Its my parents im worried about ):

Assuming they are concerned, nurturing parents, I can guarantee they want nothing more than for you to grow up, and be successful. To do that you need life skills, and an ability to support yourself, so you're not living in their house well into adulthood.

In short, they want you to have a life. That means moving out of the nest.

They will be fine.

You also made a commitment to serve. If nothing else, it will give you more experience in life.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

News isn’t like wine - it doesn’t get better with age.

Your immediate family knows that you are in the Military, and there is always the chance of deployment, right? It’s not like a cold call type thing I assume.

We don’t know any other details on your mobilization or the situation behind it. No need to speculate though, it’s not the point here. I’d see who you can talk to to get more detail, then have the situation plainly stated to your parents. What you don’t need is for the situation to be weighing on you with no outlet. You need to get it off your chest.

College will be there, the whole dorm situation may be different, but you’ll have opportunity to do school. Are you enrolled in a specific major tract that has a specific class schedule and availability?

Reactions: 4WD
I got mobilized once when I was probably about your age. It lasted twenty-three years. Regarding college; don't fret about it. Like someone already mentioned it will still be there when you return, all the campus snowflakes too. Consider a one year deployment out of an entire lifespan is a blink of an eye, a single heartbeat. When I was with the grunts and I'd get down, they'd buoy up my spirits with

'Hey doc, just suck it up'.

Last edited:
I got mobilized once when I was probably about your age. It lasted twenty-three years. Regarding college; don't fret about it. Like someone already mentioned it will still be there when you return, all the campus snowflakes too. Consider a one year deployment out of an entire lifespan is a blink of an eye, a single heartbeat. When I was with the grunts and I'd get down, they'd buoy up my spirits with

'Hey doc, just suck it up'.
23 years in army, wow... that's tough.

I understand your worry, and why you are upset . There is nothing worse than coming back from being gone and having to turn around and leave again. I’ve done it, too. I was in the military post 9/11 right during the height of the war. I understand what it’s like to be gone all the time, and I’m sorry you are having to deal with that. I spent my entire military career either in school, deployed or doing work ups for deployments. I was hardly ever home. It wasn’t easy.

Now, all that said, you are not in college, you are in the military, whether active or reserve. When you sign that contract, you know exactly what you’re getting into. It sucks, believe me I know it, and you are allowed to vent. But keep in mind you are a member of the United States Armed Forces, not a college student. And you volunteered for this. If you wanted to be a college student, then you should have gone to college and forgone selective service.

So put your big boy pants on and get to muster young man 🫡. Stay safe.

If the question is: “what to do with my life?” - the answer is to worry about that after you get back from your mobilization. You need to have one focus: getting ready. Get your finances and personal affairs in order, starting today. You signed up for this, and now it is happening. Man up.

If the question is: “how do I tell my parents?” - the answer is you tell them straight up. You are being mobilized, when, and where. Expect questions. Answer them truthfully. You signed up for this, and now it is happening, and they should know. Man up.

This sucks, I remember how being young and out all alone for the first where i just couldn't handle the pressure of what to do with myself. I just learned to rip the bandage off and push through and not think about it too much, go through things one by one. It only gets better once you do that since it unloads your mind and lets you start to focus now that you've come to accept it, it's the path of life. Just tell them to get it off your chest and hope for the best, it is what it is.

Back