Thoughts for slow oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slybunda
where find australia oil specs from?
In this case I'd Google "Honda Australia. We do have some regular posters from OZ who discuss this from time to time.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I cut my oil consumption from 1qt/2000 miles down to 1qt/4000 miles just by switching from 5w20 to 5w30. Recently, it has gotten slightly better at 1qt/5000 miles.

Same here. 5w-20 Shell Formula synthetic was doing 1.5 qts every 3/4K miles. Went to 5w-20 conventional and it was reduced by 80%. This last time I went to 5w-30 PP synthetic and even less usage.

You could "start" going to 5w-30 by topping up your 5w-20 M1 by buying a quart of M1 5w-30 and using the 5w-30 to frequently top up a few ounces to see if you engine "likes" it.

Thanks BITOG, I didn't think about the valves, I may look into that. I also like the idea of possibly going to 0w40 Castrol, that's what I'm about to put in the Mercedes and consolidating oil would be nice, interestingly enough the Acura TL crowd with the 3.7 J-Series that are known to have a huge oil burning problem have had luck with Castrol 0w40 significantly slowing the burn.

Based on my original thinking, and this thread, I'll probably bump up to a 5w30, probably shorten the OCI and go with a quality conventional this round and see how it goes, if it doesn't improve then I'll go HM or Maxlife. I will be changing the plugs in the next week or two, it'll be interesting to see how they look as they are original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back