Do I need high mileage oil?

I’m approaching 245K miles on a 2005 F-150 5.4 3V that I purchased new. I’ve changed the oil every 5000 miles and it doesn’t leak or burn oil at all. Never had any cam phaser problems. It’s semi-retired now, and my daughter now uses it for a second car- driving it to work at least once a week. I still maintain it for her. I’ve replaced it with an F-150 3.5 Tremor for me.

I’ve used PUP 5W-30 for the last 135K miles or so and it’s served me well. I’ve never used high mileage oil because it doesn’t leak or burn oil. Is it time to switch? How about using some HPL engine cleaner? Do you think the PUP has kept it as clean as it can get or would that help? It’s been a good rust-free truck Plan on keeping it for another 20 years.
IMG_0332.jpeg

"High Milage" oils just have extra seal conditioners in them to slow or stop leaks. If your engine isn't leaking, it doesn't need a high mileage oil, though it wouldn't hurt anything if you did use some in it. Since it's worked for you so far, I'd keep using PUP 5W-30 and change it every 5k miles.

I had an 05 just like yours and never used high mileage oil. I sold it at 225,000 and it is probably still on the road today. My oil had been changed every 3,000 miles. The original owner was super picky with oil changes and he had used the Ford semi synthetic but I switched to full synthetic and it didn't make any difference.

I’m approaching 245K miles on a 2005 F-150 5.4 3V that I purchased new. I’ve changed the oil every 5000 miles and it doesn’t leak or burn oil at all. Never had any cam phaser problems. It’s semi-retired now, and my daughter now uses it for a second car- driving it to work at least once a week. I still maintain it for her. I’ve replaced it with an F-150 3.5 Tremor for me.

I’ve used PUP 5W-30 for the last 135K miles or so and it’s served me well. I’ve never used high mileage oil because it doesn’t leak or burn oil. Is it time to switch? How about using some HPL engine cleaner? Do you think the PUP has kept it as clean as it can get or would that help? It’s been a good rust-free truck Plan on keeping it for another 20 years.View attachment 216878
Nyati

I’ve used PUP 5W-30 for the last 135K miles or so and it’s served me well. I’ve never used high mileage oil because it doesn’t leak or burn oil. Is it time to switch? How about using some HPL engine cleaner? Do you think the PUP has kept it as clean as it can get or would that help? It’s been a good rust-free truck Plan on keeping it for another 20 years.View attachment 216878
Nyati
I drive a 2011 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 King Ranch 5.4L 3V with 380k miles. My Expedition doesn't use/leak any Oil, or have any Cam phaser Issues.
Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working!

IMG_20231025_223921.jpg

I always struggled with this as well.
For me, I always look at things from a preventative maintenance point of view. Why wait UNTIL I have a leak, and if I do I'm gonna fix the leak, but I would like to prevent having to fix that leak! :p

In the past I just do the switch to HM in most cases around 100k mi. Having said that my MZR has over 250k mi on it and I have never used a HM oil in it, but only because I want to run 0-40 Castrol Euro. I started that car on PP and it began using roughly 3/4qt between OCI's, went to the Castrol Euro in a 40wt mix and no use since. In my 4.0 JEEPs or any V8's I stopped using HM because I always used a good HDEO. I have put more miles on HDEO's than any other type of oil throughout my life, I just love the stuff!

Ya know... the more I type and think, I have not used a HM oil in years!! Last one being Max-Life and Pennzoil HM (loved both). I guess for the past few years I have just bumped up in viscosity as miles rack up or stuck with a HDEO! Maybe its just about oils improving over the years, a HM oil may not be as relevant today as it was 10 years ago.

*I guess in your case my debate would be stay the same or go to a HDEO, and I would go to the HDEO hands down for peace of mind. That's just me though....

Back