Thoughts for slow oil burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my '05 Accord V6 with 105k has started burning a little oil, about 1qt every 2k miles. I know this isn't a huge amount, but still somewhat surprising as I've taken really good care of this thing since new, 7500 mile oil changes with M1 5w20 syn and either Wix or A01 Honda filters at each change.

In any case, I'm thinking about going up to 5w30 and possibly trying Maxlife blend, or just go to a good non-syn like VWB or PYB and change it out every 5-6k or so. I did replace the PCV valve as a first measure to try and get the consumption stopped, but it had no effect. My driving is about 90% highway, daily drive about 40 miles round trip, and I leave extremely early so I don't have much traffic until afternoon (Seattle, rush "hour" is from 5am-8pm).

I should add, it leaks no oil, I've gone over it end-to-end looking for leaks. I know the I4 of this vintage are known for oil burning, but this particular V6 really isn't, especially since I've never run it more than 1/2qt low on oil its entire life.

What does BITOG think?

Last edited:
105K, I'd be running Maxlife 5W-30 red Bottle and some BG109 at each change.

A ring soak might be in order too
laugh.gif

My youngest son has a 2003 Honda Civic v tech with 102,000 miles and it seems to have burnt oil for around 30,000 or so miles. There are No leaks and you do not really see a lot of smoke..But every 500 miles or so you have to add at least a half a quart, this was going on for years and it started to get worse. We used PYB in the winter and PHM in the summer. We went from a 5w20 PYB to a 5w30 PYB about 20,000 miles ago but it did not help much. In the beginning of the summer i switched it to Mobil super High Mileage 5w30..
After the oil change i put techron in the tank and the next day took it for a ride punching it from 20mph to 80+ mph you would not believe what came out on that Italian Tune Up you saw a cloud of smoke from the minute i floored it. I did that 4 times and then on the turnpike punched to over 90 it was now super clean inside and since it slowed the oil burning down quite a bit.. My son drives only 3 miles to work every day and drives very slowly as it is all side streets.
Now that it does not burn oil that much was it the oil i changed too, the techron or the italian tune up that slowed the oil burning down?
The 5w30 Mobil Super High Mileage is thinner than the Pennzoil.

I got him that car when he got his license at around 80,000 miles i did the head because the head gasket needed replacement.

You're on the right track. Maxlife 5w-30.

Give that a try for several oil changes before moving to more aggressive measures as needed.

I remember when people used to brag about their vehicle lasting 100k. No matter how well you have maintained the car, engine wear does occur, and you might burn a little oil. Its not broke, and I wouldn't chase my tail trying to fix it. Just remember that you have to check the oil now and then.

That's not much. You might check to see if it needs valve stem seals. And you could run some Auto-Rx. Then move up to a 5w-30 oil and give it some time.

5W30 and see results. Then try other things if that doesn't help a little. 1 quart for 2k miles is not exactly a lot but I wouldn't call it slow either as you'll change 3 quarts in 6k miles. How big is the sump on that engine?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
105K, I'd be running Maxlife 5W-30 red Bottle and some BG109 at each change.

A ring soak might be in order too
laugh.gif

I like the ring soak too.

I cut my oil consumption from 1qt/2000 miles down to 1qt/4000 miles just by switching from 5w20 to 5w30. Recently, it has gotten slightly better at 1qt/5000 miles.

I have had excellent results with Valvoline Max Life in my leakers and oil burners to stop whatever symptoms they have. Give it a try, it's only $17 at Wally-World. I'd try the 20 weight first and move up to a 30 if that doesn't do the trick.

I have also tried Pennzoil HM and Castrol GTX HM, neither seemed to do much compared to the Valvoline.

Last edited:
My recommendation? Try Castrol Edge 0w-40. My SIL has a 2008 wrangler with the 3.8 engine, a known oil guzzler. I switched it over to Edge 0w-40 and the consumption has stopped dead in its tracks for over a year now. No ill effects and finally no rattle on start up, just a smooth, quiet start. There are a lot of engines in use now that have been factory spec'd with an oil that is not really ideal, but are there for mpg regulations more than longevity IMHO.
A3 oils rock!

Some engines just wear quicker than others. Check each spark plug and see if it's related to one cylinder. Could be a bad oil ring. The plug sill show that. You can fool around with different oils and viscosity's but you are just attacking the symptoms. It may help for a while but the symptoms will come back. Assuming it's mechanically correct and maintained, just drive it, add oil when needed and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
My recommendation? Try Castrol Edge 0w-40. My SIL has a 2008 wrangler with the 3.8 engine, a known oil guzzler. I switched it over to Edge 0w-40 and the consumption has stopped dead in its tracks for over a year now. No ill effects and finally no rattle on start up, just a smooth, quiet start. There are a lot of engines in use now that have been factory spec'd with an oil that is not really ideal, but are there for mpg regulations more than longevity IMHO.
A3 oils rock!
As has been said many times, the oil specs for the same platform in other countries such as Australia are always interesting to research.

Go to a 5w-30 no need to use High Mileage oil. Let us know how the switch to 5w-30 goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back