This was my favorite vehicle of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend found this pic of me and my 68 Scout taken in the early 90's.

I bought this Scout with a dead 266 cuin IHC V8, T18, D44 w/3/73 gears for $300. I found a 345 cuin IHC V8 that was a direct drop in at the local pic-a-part. I paid $135 for the 345.

The Scout was well beat up before I got it but for about $600 I had an awsome 4x4 truck that would go anywhere and I didn't have to worry about scratching it.

It finally got to the point where the body was literaly falling apart so I sold it to a guy that wanted it for it's HD axles. The 345 went into another Scout and was still running last month when I saw that Scout going down the main drag.

BTW I put 360K on the yellow Scout and the junkyard engine before I sold it.

2010-06-0695140237.jpg

Ahh, the old Corn Binder. My buddy had one, he had the Diesel engine in his. Not much for handling on the road, but a worthy off-road truck. Not great for fit-and finish as I recall

The only vehicle on the planet that could lead or follow a Cherokee or FSJ (Wagoneer / Gladiator) anywhere. Love those things, and love the IH 345, too!

Was watching the Power Block on TV and they were building up a Scout and talking about how cheap they are to get and how great they are for a fun low maintenance off road vehicle.

Then again they dumped god knows how much into getting it up to snuff.

I worked for a John Deere dealer back in the 70's and our friendly competition the IH dealer had those scouts for service trucks. Were all painted IH red and silver. They were as tough as a hogs nose.

I grew up around binders and had a 1966 Scout from about 1968-1974. Handled terrible by today's standards, but was a tough, fun little truck.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I grew up around binders and had a 1966 Scout from about 1968-1974. Handled terrible by today's standards, but was a tough, fun little truck.
Oh ya you didn't take any curves fast in this one either. But off road it would go pretty much anywhere I pointed it.

I learned how to drive in one of those that my Grandfather had. It was a 1966 or 67 I think. Plain white. Cool truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back