Thinking of weaning off the Amsoil teat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading some VOAs and stuff. I am starting to reconsider. Checked my oil a few minutes ago its still light gold at 14k...maybe I should try 20k???

Or go the walmart route...FUG for 20k and cheaper synthetic swap every 10k. Everything else has a lower TBN then the Amsoil

coming up on that 15k mark and I am getting ansy...

reading some VOAs...turns out Amsoil 0w20 was reformulated

and when compared to ST HM 0w20...they are nearly the same.

I think I am going to go that route. I'll go 10k on the oil (and have it tested)...then 20k on a corolla 4386 FUG (might as well have the extra half inch for the same price). Then adjust as necessary for maximum use.

There's nothing Amsoil does better than the rest of the competitors over the life of an engine except drain your wallet faster. Oils today are so good they can all go the distance in the right application.
Pennzoil Ultra and a XG is a great choice and will give you the same results for a lot less!

Many here jump on the "bash Amsoil" wagon very quickly and while I have not used their engine oils, I find their gear oils to be arguably the best on the market. With that said, you will not gain full value from any oil if it is not used to the maximum--so you have to decide "what's in it for you". I played with extended OCIs in my (now retired) 2010 Ford FX4 and for the most part, most of the oils operated the same.

I would say with the highway miles that are being put on the car, that you should look at M1 AFE 0W-20 (it is currently $25.00 out the door for 5QTs at WM). It had better statistics over M1 EP 0W-20 which costs a bit more. 15K OCIs should be no problem with M1, Castrol, or Pennzoil, so pick your flavor, run a couple of UOAs (Rock Auto has WIX kits for less than $10.00 and they are done by Oil Analyzers) and rock and roll.

As someone who has used Amsoil since the 80's I have noticed their advantage to be dwindling lately. Engine oils are so good at the store now there is no longer any clear cut performance edge to using Amsoil in almost any car or truck. I seem to get excellent life and great performance from almost any ordinary syn or semi-syn at the local store.

But they still make specialty lubes and niche products that I love and continue to use.

What's AMSOIL have that M1, Pennzoil, Castrol, and Valvoline synthetic oils don't have, besides taking more of your money?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

I would say with the highway miles that are being put on the car, that you should look at M1 AFE 0W-20 (it is currently $25.00 out the door for 5QTs at WM). It had better statistics over M1 EP 0W-20 which costs a bit more. 15K OCIs should be no problem with M1, Castrol, or Pennzoil, so pick your flavor, run a couple of UOAs (Rock Auto has WIX kits for less than $10.00 and they are done by Oil Analyzers) and rock and roll.

Thanks for the link for the UOA kits. If they're on par with B-S I'll give them a try. I like saving $$.

Amsoil Signature Series, in xW-20 and xW-30 viscosity grades, has at least two attributes lacking in oils by the majors in those viscosity grades: significant ester content and very high TBN.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Amsoil Signature Series, in xW-20 and xW-30 viscosity grades, has at least two attributes lacking in oils by the majors in those viscosity grades: significant ester content and very high TBN.

Just how significant is that ester content and what is that very high TBN?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

My OLM is not letting me past 7k-8k … so this will do:

For me the big turn-off on Amsoil was the "fake news" posted by their dealers all over the internet in the early days of forums, etc bad mouthing competitors. Not sure if it was sanctioned by corporate, but it was annoying.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thanks for the link for the UOA kits. If they're on par with B-S I'll give them a try. I like saving $$.

They are better than Blackstone. They include TBN. They also have values for oxidation,nitration and sulfation as well as a yes or no for soot and coolant. Plus you don't get the comical commentary about how well your car is doing....

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

They are better than Blackstone. They include TBN. They also have values for oxidation,nitration and sulfation as well as a yes or no for soot and coolant. Plus you don't get the comical commentary about how well your car is doing....

Sold! Thanks!

I've never used Amsoil, and no one asked me for my thoughts on the subject, but I'm going to give them anyways!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
and when compared to ST HM 0w20...they are nearly the same.

I don't understand this. I've also heard that Amsoil looks the same as M1 AP. Am I missing something here?

ST HM 0W-20 (From PQIA)

M1 AP 0W-20

Amsoil 0W-20

To me, neither the ST HM nor the M1 AP have an add pack as stout as the Amsoil, nor do they have a NOACK as low as Amsoil's *claimed* NOACK of 8.something. It also seems to me that while the ST HM add pack looks strong on paper, in reality the base oil composition probably isn't as good as M1's AP or Amsoil's SS oil.

While a lot of people say (and I'm not saying it's necessarily right or wrong) that Amsoil's engine oil isn't worth the price, but their gear oils and ATFs are well worth the price, I don't bother differentiating between the engine oil and the ATF/Gear oils, etc. In my opinion, their engine oil is just as good as their ATF and gear oils, and better than most on the market. However, it's up the the consumer to determine if that extra price is worth the added benefit, especially when so many off-the-shelf oils perform very well in so many different applications. For a lot of people, the extra cost isn't worth it and for some, it is well worth the price.

In my opinion, if the Amsoil has treated your vehicle well for nearly 140k miles, why bother changing? That said, if money's tight and you're looking for extra savings, I would confidently use any other cheaper oil and feel assured that my car is still probably the best maintained vehicle around.

Just my .02.

No one can be sure on base stock content percentages, since they will ALWAYS BE told "that is PROPRIETARY" by the company, and no one is going to pay out of their own pocket for a spectral analysis (or whatever type of analysis is required to determine actual base stock contents) to find out for sure.

But the very low stated NOACKS of most of the Signature Series oils do indicate/infer a base stock of much PAO/POE content.
These oils' very low NOACKS and high starting TBNs (which few, if any of the readily available "on the shelf at Sino Mart" oils which everyone loves to tout, possess), have me considering them for my winter OCI next year in the 5W-20 flavor, for my 1.6 EcoBoost.
wink.gif

BTW; that stated starting TBN is 12.0, which very few non-boutique oils (and even a lot of other 'boutique oils') even come close to matching, especially with a 1.2 SA reading or lower.

FTIR analyses measuring oxidation on virgin Amsoil SS produced values of around 60, while the majors’ products in the above viscosity grades have virgin oxidation values around 10 or less. Redline oils of the typical street oils tested around 100. The test values increase as oxygen atom concentration increases and esters contain them.

Amsoil SS 0W-20 VOA: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/15068-amsoil-signature-series-100-synthetic-0w-20-svezhee/
Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE VOA: http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/22730-mobil1-0w-20-advanced-fuel-economy-usa-svezhee/

TBN is 12.5 for Amsoil SS, according to Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back