Thinking of weaning off the Amsoil teat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
Blackstone had recomended going to 18k on my Amsoil but its a weird number to remember my intervals.

It sounds like he did.

The OP stated he's got a new driving pattern. Sounds like it's not too far off from his old driving pattern, but it may make a difference.

I don't mean to muck up the thread, if the OP is dead set against sticking with the more-expensive Amsoil. Time is money, though, and he's already got some data with the Amsoil via UOA. It could be that he can go 20k miles on an OCI, even still, and lower his wasted time changing oil.

On the other and, he may be like some of us, who enjoy the act of changing oil. I used to look forward to it, but not so much any more. As soon as my warranties are up, I plan to get a UOA and extend to the moon!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Blackstone had recomended going to 18k on my Amsoil but its a weird number to remember my intervals.

It sounds like he did.

I don't mean to muck up the thread, if the OP is dead set against sticking with the more-expensive Amsoil. Time is money, though, and he's already got some data with the Amsoil via UOA. It could be that he can go 20k miles on an OCI, even still, and lower his wasted time changing oil.

It must be terrible when your life is so full you just can't find an extra 20 minutes max in a year. Time to relax a bit more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

It sounds like he did.

It must be terrible when you life is so full you just can't find an extra 20 minutes max in a year. Time to relax a bit more.

Changing oil is not everyone's idea of a good time.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Changing oil is not everyone's idea of a good time.

Really even at 74 I find it rather relaxing.

At 74 you probably have time to change oil every week. OP didn't say he didn't have time.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I have run FU, MicroGreen, Amsoil, and Napa Platinum filters. No statistically significant change in UOAs over the past 100k, all on Pennzoil synthetics. Iron is at 1ppm/1k miles over the past 100k. Thats pretty solid in my book!

Further proof that if a clean engine is kept clean,
The oil filter has little to do with extending oil life.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Been to Jacobstat in Narpes. Great times.

Well world is not big then. Jakobstad and Närpes are great places in the summer. You have to visit Jakobsad in the summer time and go and see Fäboda.
My birth place is Jakobstad

Sounds like a good idea to me. Worse case scenario if you don't like it you can always switch back. If would be kind of interesting to see which direction you go in after using Pennzoil.

At 74 you got nothing but time!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Further proof that if a clean engine is kept clean,
The oil filter has little to do with extending oil life.

That was my point, Linc. Despite all the posturing and fanboyism, certain filters are likely NOT the engine saviors some make them out to be. If the engine is sludged from inadequate oil or maintenance, that’s not a function of the filter. Use a good oil and operate your machinery within the limits of the lube and all should be fine.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Buy American: Mobil 1 or Valvoline. Pennzoil is just bulk repackaged Formula Shell and not American-owned.

You own a Nissan...

I like to tinker, clean and sometimes do larger maintenance items (well, I like the feeling after a major maintenance item is complete, if not the doing the work itself.) Changing the oil with a Fumoto valve is a non-issue. For my Forester, I don't even need to jack the car up. With the oil filter on top, it's probably 5 total minutes of work (not including walking away for a while to let it drain. I'd rather go as long as possible between changes and minimize how much waste I need to dispose of.

A car looks cleaner after you clean, something is added or modified for the better when you tinker, and larger maintenance items usually give peace of mind. I've rarely had a vehicle run any differently after an oil change, and I do enough of the former to keep track of the condition of the vehicle, so under-hood-time to prevent issues from creeping up, well, isn't an issue.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

That was my point, Linc. Despite all the posturing and fanboyism, certain filters are likely NOT the engine saviors some make them out to be.

I have seen premium filters give back amazing insoluables numbers..... but that doesn't mean the engine lasts any longer.

My Grandpa's old '59 Chevy Apache doesn't have a full flow oil filter on it at all... just regular oil changes. It still runs great and doesn't use oil.

Wow this thread took off LOL

As others said I think the Amsoil just does not seem that above the other high end synthetics to at least warrrant the extra money for it (and the shipping) even with the discount program they have, that requires a buy in. Plus lately packages have gone missing off our porch. So its one less thing to worry about.

I like going to a store, staring at all the options and buying what I need. I very well could probably go to 20k as well.

My air filter is an HKS foam unit with BelRay filter oil. I clean it every 7500 or so. It could go longer however sometimes I need something to fiddle with. Problem with driving reliable cars...less tinker time reasons

Last edited:
Go to PQIA and look at oils. Pick any good reputable oil you like. Change it as required and drive to 400,000 miles ... You've spent enough to cover the high wear period

Yep many of these motors have gone north of 400,000. Will mine get there who knows...but I will drive the car until its a crumpled up soda can or rotten

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Depends how you use the car and where you live. For me Amsoil is better then anyting i have used in the past but i live near artic cirkle. Before when i used other brand i did have problems with the crank case ventilation but with Amsoil noting! So i did stay with Amsoil.
And amsoil is cheap for a pao oil.
Amsoil Motul and Redline are outstanding oils.

Absolutely true. But here we have ready access to many excellent brands that you might never see out there. I have personally ran well over 500k miles on whatever synthetic was on sale and a cheap filter in a service van. So it may be that these "outstanding" brands are the best ever, but there is something to be said for the likes of Mobil 1 and its many competitors at my local Wal Mart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back