Thinking about a 2017 Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Originally Posted By: dgunay
Care to enlighten us? I notice your post is lacking any examples.

Seems that a 1.4t Jetta for div>

Not if you plan to keep it post warranty.

I heard/read that 1.4/1.8 TSI are rock solid engines and OP wants a stick shift. I wouldn't worry about the reliability.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
Meh. As a former VW mechanic the entire specter of electrical issues that even the dealer can't solve stays on my mind.

A colleague's 2015 e-Golf spent a couple of weeks in New Jersey at some magic VW place for a problem. The irony of buying an electric car from a company renowned for its electrical problems
smile.gif

But if you like it, and it puts a smile on your face, get it. Life is too short to sweat that stuff, especially at that price point. As others said, beware the dealer games and get the OTD price from the dealership's internet person before walking in if you don't like shenanigans like "losing" your trade in car keys and stuff like that.

Well, most people lease their EV because of the uncertainty of battery life, and if they do it would not be a problem with the warranty. Actually that's the better way to drive a VW, lease an EV instead of buying a gas one.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
Jettas, Passats and the Alltrack are real cheap at Sharett VW in Hagerstown MD (5k+ off), and in the DC area ish, there is Karen Radley VW in Woodbridge VA that usually has amazing prices. Really look around before you buy. Some deals to be taken advantage of out there.

Sharrett is a joke, sorry. When I was car shopping they had no interest finding or ordering what I initially wanted (Golf S in a manual). They finally quoted me 28k OTD for a GTI. Went 2 hours south to Sheehy VW in Springfield, VA which is in the DC metro area. 22.8k OTD for my GTI. They keep plenty of manual Jetta's in stock (Sharrett did not have a one) at Sheehy. Manual SE 1.4t Jetta's are going for around 14 and if you want a barebones S they're round 11. Or if you want some fun the GLI version with the 2.0t is 21.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I was quoted $17,100 otd for a base 5 speed. Seems a bit much? Pohanka VW
What's the sticker price? If $11,799 as posted above, that's way too high.

My Sonata was like this:
Price: $9,990
Sales Tax: $809
Dealer doc fee: $399

Total: $11,613

If it doesn't look similar to that in format, they're ripping you off.

Personally, I don't want an extended warranty, an alarm, tint fees, paint sealant, refurbish fees, wheel protection plan, etc.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I was quoted $17,100 otd for a base 5 speed. Seems a bit much? Pohanka VW
What's the sticker price? If $11,799 as posted above, that's way too high.

My Sonata was like this:
Price: $9,990
Sales Tax: $809
Dealer doc fee: $399

Total: $11,613

If it doesn't look similar to that in format, they're ripping you off.

Personally, I don't want an extended warranty, an alarm, tint fees, paint sealant, refurbish fees, wheel protection plan, etc.

The $11.6k price was at another dealer. He said this was from Pohanka. They have a base Jetta for the lowest at $14.3k. Add sales tax, registration and then freight/PDI since this is sold as a new car.

MSRP: 19,035.00
DISCOUNT: 4,500.00
REBATE: 1,000.00
ADJUSTED PRICE: 13,535.00
POHANKA VALUE PACKAGE: 595.00
DESTINATION: 910.00

TOTAL PURCHASE: 15,040.00

PROCESSING FEE: 300.00
TAX: 1,470.60
NON TAX FEES: 320.00
NETPRICE: 17,130.60

MSRP: 19,035.00
DISCOUNT: 4,500.00
REBATE: 1,000.00
ADJUSTED PRICE: 13,535.00
DESTINATION: 910.00

TOTAL PURCHASE: 15,040.00

PROCESSING FEE: 300.00
TAX: 1,470.60
NON TAX FEES: 320.00
NETPRICE: 17,130.60

What is this?

Sounds like a value for the dealer!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

What is this?

Sounds like a value for the dealer!
lol.gif

Yeah... My first question was what that was. Told me he was driving and he would get back to me when he got done driving. That was about 6 hours ago...

What is the non tax fee?

There is a little over $300.00 of options/accessories in the MSRP too. It is probably floor mats/cargo liner/roadside kit... but you might want to make sure.

Always negotiate out the door price, this way it will not bother you what kind of fees are added between the starting prices and the end price, as long as the end price is what you want, or close to it.

Also, visit manufacturer's website and build your own car. I know that you will get the MSRP price, but you will also get to see the standard charges, like destination, taxes, and other mandated fees.
At least that's the way in Canada. I can select my province and all the required taxes etc. will be included.

So, I would take their advertised price, add all the applicable, for the state, taxes, fees, destination, registration, etc. and that would be my OTD offer for them.

why not get a 1-2 yr old cpo? you get a longer warranty and avoid some of the junk fees. dc area vw dealers seem notorious for adding high document fees and playing with incentives when quoting their teaser new car prices. one dealer near tysons specifically declined to honor its own internet-issued, usaa otd price.

I had a Jetta with the 1.8T as a rental a few years ago (same body style) and I liked it. Felt very solid and was nice to drive.

Given the stiff competition in the segment with the [excellent] Civic I'd imagine that you have the upper hand in shopping/negotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back