I think the ol' Corolla is on her last legs...

With 437K miles on her, she runs fine, but other things are starting go. My AC went out about a month ago, and the fix requires the dash to be removed, which would be way too expensive to do on a car this old. The cruise control is also starting go, it only works intermittently. I'm looking at Corollas, Honda Fits, and the Yaris. The hatchback designs would fit my needs better than another sedan, but I want something small, reliable, and good on gas. Of the three I'm leaning towards the Yaris, but having cruise control is a must for me, and it seems like only the top trim level came with CC. The Fit is better equipped in terms of options, but every used one I've found so far seems to have a ton of miles on them. I would obviously take another Corolla, but I'd like one with a manual tranny, but they're hard to find, and most of those are stripped down, bare bones no option cars, and they usually don't have CC. I'm not sure which way to go. I think any of these three would be reliable, and all would be fuel efficient, it's just a matter of finding one equipped the way I want it at a reasonable price...

Depending on their relative ages you might be able to transplant the cruise control from your Corolla to the Yaris. Installing cruise on my 2007 Corolla was as simple as cutting a hole for and installing the stalk in the steering column. And installing a clutch switch in my particular case.

What about a 2nd Gen. Matrix / Gen 2 Vibe with the 1.8 engine? Side and curtain airbags were standard by then which were optional and quite rare on the Gen 9 Corolla / Gen 1 Matrix / Vibe.

So it's really easy for me to spend your money. And I know nothing about your financial situation. But aren't you retired? I'd think if I was retired I'd spend just a little bit more for something more comfortable that drives nicer instead of being stuck in a penalty box. I mean at least something like a RAV4 or a Venza that's easier to get in and out of too.

Mazda 3 hatchback?

m3-herobanner-2022.jpg

+2, look in to how easy it is to add cruise to a corolla you'd otherwise like.

The matrix/vibe seems to have had the manual available in higher trims. Mazda3 as well.
The Mazda 3 only comes in the hatchback with the manual transmission option weirdly enough. In Canada and Mexico you can still get the sedan with the manual transmission.

So it's really easy for me to spend your money. And I know nothing about your financial situation. But aren't you retired? I'd think if I was retired I'd spend just a little bit more for something more comfortable that drives nicer instead of being stuck in a penalty box. I mean at least something like a RAV4 or a Venza that's easier to get in and out of too.
I've driven all three, owned two Corollas now, and any of these vehicles would be plenty comfortable for me. They will be a 2nd car. We also own a Mazda CX-9...I'm looking in the price range of less than $10K...so something around 10 years old with like 100K-150K miles...

You're driving a 400K mile car. Cant you find one cheap with 200K?
Most I've seen so far usually have around 150-200K in my price range...I think the 1.5 engines in either the Fit or the Yaris are easily 300K+ mile engines...at least Honda finally got smart and made their 1.5 with cam chain instead of a stupid belt...

On newer vehicles the cruise control is not a stand alone unit, it is integrated into the body computer.
I find it odd that ANY vehicle produced within the last 20 years WOULDN'T have cruise control. That's a fairly standard feature, and has been for a long time...

I'm not a Chevy or a Subi guy...

Back