2023 Jetta?

Do they really? did not look deep enough. Quick look indicates it's "lifetime" and "inspect at 100k or 150k", or somesuch. Possiblye inspect at 150k and every 20k thereafter? Bummer. But better than problematic chains--assuming it's changed before breaking.
The timing belt is good for the lifetime of ....the timing belt. Lol

It should be good to 100k, though.

The timing belt is good for the lifetime of ....the timing belt. Lol

It should be good to 100k, though.
There was a time in my life when all I needed was 3 years to hit 100k. I get it, most don't drive that much, so big deal, right? and for those of us who do drive an insane amount, just ante up and live with the extra cost (or move closer to work).

All the same. Purchase one's car with one's eyes wide open.

If you want a wagon, just find a gently used 2018-2019 Golf Alltrack or Sportwagen.

Do they really? did not look deep enough. Quick look indicates it's "lifetime" and "inspect at 100k or 150k", or somesuch. Possiblye inspect at 150k and every 20k thereafter? Bummer. But better than problematic chains--assuming it's changed before breaking.
There aren't "problematic chains" anymore...that was a 10 years ago/MK6 thing and it was the tensioner that caused all the drama. Either way you are replacing parts at some point if you keep a car long enough.

Still wonder if stick is better long term transmission. Seems less work on service—but the driver has to not fry the clutch, no small issue in traffic.

Still wonder if stick is better long term transmission. Seems less work on service—but the driver has to not fry the clutch, no small issue in traffic.
Catch 22. Clutch will need replacement and will cost north of $1k. The internals should hold up for a very long time, though.

The Aisin 8 speed may work forever or may fail just out of warranty. And it costs more than a clutch.

Catch 22. Clutch will need replacement and will cost north of $1k. The internals should hold up for a very long time, though.

The Aisin 8 speed may work forever or may fail just out of warranty. And it costs more than a clutch.
No free lunch. Buy the stick, save a grand on purchase price tpyically over the auto option, accept a clutch job if you keep it long enough which is typically over a grand with parts/labor easily. Buy the auto which as you can say can either 1) go forever or 2) take a dump early. No free lunch.

I don't understand. Wife's Camry did 236k and clutch was not giving grief, would still have it had I not wrecked it. My Jetta had a DMF failure at 249k and my mechanic showed me the disc and flywheel, and both of us would have reused them without second thought, the wear was so minimal. $700 job but that was 10 years ago, so maybe that's a grand now (was looking at Volvo wagons the other day, a V70 needing a clutch came up, and that was a couple grand best I could tell--so it could always be worse).

VR6's had timing chain problems I thought? Passat's with the TDI, I think they had balance shaft problems (again a chain). Early 2.5's had problems (tensioner?). I recall reading about VW having problems on anything with a chain drive when I hung out on the TDI forum (hardly an anti-VW place).

I like to know what I'm getting into--when I bought my Jetta I knew I would have to do a clutch if I upgraded the power, struts at some point, and probably something else (luck of the draw). It did not surprise as such when it did need those "expected" repairs, although I had not expected to have a flywheel fail of all things.

I don't understand. Wife's Camry did 236k and clutch was not giving grief, would still have it had I not wrecked it. My Jetta had a DMF failure at 249k and my mechanic showed me the disc and flywheel, and both of us would have reused them without second thought, the wear was so minimal. $700 job but that was 10 years ago, so maybe that's a grand now (was looking at Volvo wagons the other day, a V70 needing a clutch came up, and that was a couple grand best I could tell--so it could always be worse).

VR6's had timing chain problems I thought? Passat's with the TDI, I think they had balance shaft problems (again a chain). Early 2.5's had problems (tensioner?).

I like to know what I'm getting into--when I bought my Jetta I knew I would have to do a clutch if I upgraded the power, struts at some point, and probably something else (luck of the draw). It did not surprise as such when it did need those "expected" repairs, although I had not expected to have a flywheel fail of all things.
Was it a dual mass flywheel?

If you want a wagon, this is a pretty embarrassing choice but I don’t think these 4-cylinders explode. Disposable price point.

AutoTrader Link 1

And maybe this wouldn’t be so bad

AutoTrader Link 2
That Chevy looks nice, 'cept it's in color black, and there's an ongoing thread on here about how the 1.5T's should be avoided.

The green thing... eh...

If you want a wagon, just find a gently used 2018-2019 Golf Alltrack or Sportwagen.
Or what I'm getting next month:
1689076910558.png

Bugs me, my Toyota's have been quick to unlock the TC. Sometimes I mash down and force a downshift, other times I try to droop my speed and leave it locked. I'm guessing it's not wearing as much as I fear, but having driven those roads for years, I know gutless econoboxes can crest the hill without a downshift, so why shouldn't this automatic with that much more power on tap?
When I worked in Wilmington, MA off rt 125 near Gillette I would wait at work until 6 pm. Otherwise I couldn't get up 495 North through Lawrence, MA without being stuck in stop and go for 1/2 hour. I get frustrated real fast so I just "worked' later. Help with my work review too! Heading the 33 miles to work, I couldn't even get down Interstate 93 South, so I went backroads through Andover, MA to Wilmington.

MASS D.O.T even have opened breakdown lanes for travel during peak commuting times. A Deadly Practice! I often hear multiple crashes reported every week on WBZ 1030 AM radio at the highway entrance and exit near Dascomb road where there is no merge lane anymore !

Insane. Glad I am retired and out of that "rat race" now - sort of :)

- Ken

If you know how to properly drive a stick, the clutch will outlast the rest of the car.
I've yet to replace the clutch in any of my cars, pickups, or jeeps.
Two weeks ago I replaced the clutch in one of my semi trucks, but the original clutch made it to 2,439,000 kms.

Back