Thin oil provides performance for all engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are tests which show us thicker oil reduces fuel economy, thats OK

but

what about performance ?

thinner oil gives more performance ?
even if the car from 80's carburetion age.

thin oil=less drag so performance may increase but on old worn engine will it same logic ?

The thin oil may not lubricate the older engine properly. With metal to metal contact I don't think your gas mileage will be getting better. You might be better off just following the owner's manual.

Thinner oil unlocks extremely small gains in friction and drag. Very small.

Thicker oil really does protect better, and especially in higher performance applications where the oil is heated to high temps...

If the auto manufacturer allows for thinner oils and then go for it---the protection will be fine. Otherwise, I would hesitate.

In my Lexus GS400, I have experimented some in that V8. I ran Mobil 0W-30, then Mobil 0W-40, and then Mobil 0W-20---all yearly OCI's. On the 0W-40, the V8 was quiet but lethargic and I lost a little MPG. I could not differentiate any MPG difference between the 30 and 20 "weight," however, the engine revved more freely and it felt like I gained 15-20 HP going from the 40 to the 20 weight. I'm sure the gain was closer to 5 HP but I have never noticed such a big difference in my vehicles before while adding performance mufflers, cold air intakes, or the much feared K&N air filters.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Thicker oil really does protect better, and especially in higher performance applications where the oil is heated to high temps...
+1

Stick with the manufacturer recommendation, and maybe increase one step if in conditions that would place undue stress on the oil, and heat it beyond the typical hot viscosity of oil (around 100ºC). This might be noticed in turbo/super-charging applications, or sustained high-rpm, high-load conditions (i.e. heavy towing up a mountain).

Thicker is not better, the Australian company making this claim in their marketing suggests that engine oil of one grade looses its lubricity at 100º (the temperature at which hot viscosity is measured), and that an extra grade up will help... Uh, no.

http:
32YMnM.jpg
//i.hizliresim.com/32YMnM.jpg

there is a picture of user manual my car from end of 80's

so lots of thing changed in 30years

10w30 from 80's not same today's 10w30,

i want to use thin oil for increase of performance a bit more
it feels slow and i dont want choke it with thick oil anymore

it already leaks and burns oil much, i get used to add oil every 1000miles
i already add oil even thick or thin, at least i want to gain performance without giving up on wear protection

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

+1
+2

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The thin oil may not lubricate the older engine properly. With metal to metal contact I don't think your gas mileage will be getting better. You might be better off just following the owner's manual.

Thin oil isn't going to result in "metal-on-metal contact". "Thin oils" have been used in colder climates since the dawn of motoring, including SAE10 and SAE20...

Originally Posted By: Dogan
there are tests which show us thicker oil reduces fuel economy, thats OK

but

what about performance ?

thinner oil gives more performance ?
even if the car from 80's carburetion age.

thin oil=less drag so performance may increase but on old worn engine will it same logic ?

The answer is "maybe". It may also be a trade off of compression as older engines sometimes benefit from a (slightly) thicker grade of oil...

what if engine is N/A around 100hp and max rpm 5600

thick oil benefits still valid or just reduces mpg and performance ?

To the OP:

I'd go no thinner than 5W-30, but would use a 5W-30, preferably in a high mileage make, with confidence. The reason it was in your manual for below 0C operation only was the same reason many American auto manuals carried the caveat of "5W-30 not recommended for sustained high speed/highway driving". Because it used to sheer down badly. This is no longer the case and you can use with confidence. Personally, I let the engine's oil consumption dictate the weight of oil used. But the 10W-30 grade is just fine as well and I doubt you'll notice any difference as I stated before, what you gain in reduced drag you may lose in a slight drop in compression in an older engine IMO...

Originally Posted By: Dogan

what if engine is N/A around 100hp and max rpm 5600

thick oil benefits still valid or just reduces mpg and performance ?

You stated that it uses and leaks oil, already, with the thicker stuff. Putting thinner stuff in will increase consumption, perhaps to the point where the oil becomes a problem in the combustion chamber. Want more performance? Fix the consumption and the leaks, first.

As Smokey Yunick would occasionally say, "Everybody wants to fly without wings!"

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd rather use a thinner oil and keep oil temps under control.

And I'd rather use thicker oil and make higher temps with faster driving
smile.gif

Plenty of racing engines use super thin engine oils, but literally the entire engine has been engineered to use and take advantage of that.

Using ultra thin oil in an engine designed for best performance using a thicker oil will get you nothing, except possibly a spun bearing.

Well, You can always compromise by running a 50/50 mixed blend of 0w20 and some 5w50....like Castrol Edge.

Then you get the best of both worlds!

You have the 0w20 to creep into and seep into the tiny cracks and crevasses unlocking small grains in friction while you have the "Big Brother", 5w50 there to protect against heat and abuse from running the engine WOT on a hot day or in "back me down" traffic jams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back