Thin oil provides performance for all engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a new 2015 Suburu outback 2015 4 cyl. Specifies 0w-20 synthetic, and this oil change is $70 at the dealer. Usually do my own oil changes, but could not budge the drain bolt for first change, so considering conventional 5w-30 at my mechanics garage for around 30 bucks. Have read that in Europe the FB 25 engine specifies conventional 5w-30. Anyone running conventional on the FB25 with success? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I don't think European Subarus spec conventional oil. that is, there's not such a distinction made between conventional, synthetic or blends.

Acea specs are what is specced if there are no manufacturers specs.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-20 will turn your car into a top fuel dragster you always dreamed of.

That's what you wanted to hear; I said it.

It cures male pattern baldness, and the heartbreak of psoriasis I've heard also.

I've found a better solution for baldness.... rub some white toiletparer on your head once per day.

the doubters can come look at my arse to seethe proven results!

Of course toilet paper works for your baldness. Your head must be filled with [censored] ;))

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

"…...Using ultra thin oil in an engine designed for best performance using a thicker oil will get you nothing, except possibly a spun bearing.

why is that so hard to get across.

I can't tell you how many air cooled m/c engines I've torn down with seized rod bearings. They were all using some 10w-30 oil instead of the 20w-50 recommended oil. Likewise, i've seen many many modified high performance American V-8's that were spec'ed for a 10w-30 oil by the manufacturer for NORMAL usage, but would seize rod bearings with that weight. Once a quality 15w-50 was used, the rod bearing problem went away.

I don't know how to debate theory with you guys. All I can do is state observations based on 50 years experience building and maintaining high performance engines. Then step back and watch a few posts that minimize my statements as "anecdotal" and therefore meaningless.

Z.

It seems that the concept of engines being perfectly fine with running all sorts of viscosities, depending on the operating conditions is getting lost.
People like to think that it is either black or white.

Some even think that the 0w20 oils have the same film thickness as Xw30 and Xw40 oils, they don't shear down and have superior add pack and that is why they are "one size fit all" type of lubricant in their minds.

Basically all hyperbole and zero understanding of fluid dynamics and lubricating regimes.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-20 will turn your car into a top fuel dragster you always dreamed of.

That's what you wanted to hear; I said it.

It cures male pattern baldness, and the heartbreak of psoriasis I've heard also.

I've found a better solution for baldness.... rub some white toiletparer on your head once per day.

the doubters can come look at my arse to seethe proven results!

Of course toilet paper works for your baldness. Your head must be filled with [censored] ;))

My arseusedto be bald, but it's full of hair now.

Not sure about what's in my head, some slimey green goo it seems

Viscosity requirement is based on engine load, engine speed, and temperature (both ambient & max engine operating temp).

One can not specify an engine oil vis without knowing all of these, hence we rely on the engine manufacturer's recommendations to do so.

At work, we turbo'd a small S.I. gasoline engine using gaseous fuel and found we had to go to lighter vis oil just to keep the flow rate up through the turbo drain tube, otherwise we'd burn up turbo bearings too quickly.

Yeah, this is not a long life engine, but meets the OEM requirements it's made for. Just an example of how oil vis actually gets spec'd by engine manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess

At work, we turbo'd a small S.I. gasoline engine using gaseous fuel and found we had to go to lighter vis oil just to keep the flow rate up through the turbo drain tube, otherwise we'd burn up turbo bearings too quickly.

But you could have drilled biger oil holes in that Turbo bearing.....and put larger oil tubes for higher oil flow instead
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Plenty of racing engines use super thin engine oils, but literally the entire engine has been engineered to use and take advantage of that.

Using ultra thin oil in an engine designed for best performance using a thicker oil will get you nothing, except possibly a spun bearing.

This ^^^. If your engine were in good shape, I would suggest using any 10w40 from know manufacturer. Try some HM oil.

Yeah but the race engine builders know EXACTLY, or at least a close est(some don't make it) how long a engine will perform with with xw-xx oil... IF it stays together it's then rebuilt before it's raced again... Now who rebuilds their engine after 500 mi? Top Fuel dragsters rebuild replace after 1/4mi, says a lot for longevity huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back