They shut me down...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
I would love for my commute to be anywhere in NZ

You'd think so...but they have some really bad traffic congestion around the cities, really surprised me!

Originally Posted By: hpb
I've just come back from 2 weeks in NZ, and couldn't help but notice how expensive fuel was - around $2:06 per litre in the Wellington area?

I've been working on $2 a litre, but put fuel in today @ $1.95. Takes excatly 45 minutes.

First commute in the Volvo today, two routes, both the same length, one comes into town from the north, the other from the south on rural roads. Perhaps not a good time to be using my molases oil, but it seems to make no difference. I often travel the main road north, but usually leave mid morning, and on the early morning start it took some time to recover my average...8.5 litres per 100km going up, 8.3 coming home...27 and 28 US mpg. $135 per week, that's over $3.30 and hour...they are never going to cover those costs, I'd be getting paid more than anyone else there. I'll be on the bike tomorrow, so long as the indicators keep working.

The local guy rang today, they really need me, and he assures me I won't be stuck on inspections - yeah right. I'm going there, same 3km commute on my 50cc scooter, people I know, customers I know, I'll be local. I'll also get the guys from the shop I used to work at over the road.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
My wife may get offered a position in NZ (Wellington) and I would be looking for a job as a tech. I have been a Honda/Acura dealer tech for 15 years now.

They have apprenticeships in Canada don't they ? So are you a qualified tech ? In New Zealand you don't go and work in a quick lube, pick it up and then call yourself a tech, we have apprenticeships, work through to a National Standards Qualification, and then you can call yourself a mechanic, or tech if you prefer. So that's what an employer will be looking for. There should be plenty of jobs out there - we are paid an hourly rate, none of this flat rate stuff I see on this site. As far as tradesmen go, mechanics these days are at the bottom of the pay scale, I earn almost exaclty the average income in NZ ($50,000)

Wellington is a nice city, small and land locked, the suburbs are over the hills and far away...sort of. Last time I was there, being driven to and from the Mitsubishi training centre, peak hour traffic looked a mess. Auckland is 10 times worse.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
To many time is most important.

I agree, I left the Denver area because I got tired of sitting in my car 2-3 hours a day stuck in traffic.

Small towns - one of my tasks is to take late model vehicles up to the other branch for servicing, so dropped into the old place this morning. Over the road he was sweeping his drive, and I went over and told him I'll take his offer, we shook hands just as a couple of my old workmates turned up...and ''See you in a couple of weeks!'' as I crossed the road. So this afternoon I told my boss I was leaving. Drop the ute off tonight, and my old manager says ''I hear you're leaving?''. It'll be all over town and across the farms tomorrow.

LOL, got to love that in these towns.

Must be 10 years ago that a woman we know bought a "morning after" pill, and heard the story back from her best friend in less than 4 hours.

So, I went up to the other branch and worked 13 days, and on friday brought my tools back to town and started my new job, my 10th since 2007. A good first day, not too much wandering around looking for things I caan't find. Always the new boy, never getting holidays. A short week to finish over the road, a short week to start and finish in the other town, and a short week on the new job - ANZAC day on wed. I sit in the lunchroom upstairs, looking across at my old place.

And the oil ? Vertex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back