Gotta find a new job.

My advice:

1) Stay off of Indeed, etc. Don't waste your time responding to these types of sites.
2) Instead network with friends, former collogues and like-minded people for referrals. The job you get will be one that's not yet posted.
3) Make a list of companies you admire and would like to work with and/or what you see as your next "dream job", then research them and see if you have any contacts or "know someone who knows someone".
4) Never forget you bring tremendous value to the next organization, don't tell them that, show them how that is.

From your posts, you seem like a straight-up, person of character, who is not petty and always does the right thing. The next group will be fortunate to have you on board. Best of luck.

I find Indeed an incredible resource. Actually used it for my pre-retirement job (I started collecting Social Security at 62 and quit my full time job) which worked out great having full benefits until Medicare kicked in at 65 and I only worked Mon - Fri 25 hours a week. Yup, amazing full time benefits, part time work, including an amazing amount of PTO on top of it, plus all federal holidays I was off and paid for (yes it was a national bank) I would have never known if not for Indeed.

My post college age daughter used it to find her job (because of me) at one of the Global 500 companies, Its a company that most people dont know exists yet chances are strong they unknowingly "use" their product and services all the time. She is doing better than very well there is almost an understatement.
They Employ 500,000 world wide and 250,000 in N America.

As far as Indeed, how can you know what is out there if you dont go to one of the largest sources of employment opportunities available to you, right from your home computer? So many jobs and many more that you never thought of.

Last edited:
@Chris142 depending on your age and aspirations, perhaps look into a 2 year degree at your local community college. We have an aging population; health care is in demand. Nursing, radiology, etc, tons of opportunity.

Just a thought; just an alternative. You might want to take advantage of California's promise of quality education at a reasonable price. Community College was my ticket.

Good luck!

Kinda tired of turning wrenches though.
As a former professional wrencher turned non wrencher, the advice I would give, is you need to develop good administrative and social skills. Even if you have to do it on your own. Technical skills will only transfer to other technical jobs. But paper work and people skills will afford you more opportunities and probably more money in the long run.

I had to quit my job maintaining the construction equipment. Without getting too deep into things they had a management change and due to that I had to quit to keep my sanity.

I got terrible anxiety as well as other health issues from the management change so I loaded my stuff up last Friday and brought it all home.

Kinda took last week off to unwind. I have a couple of leads on another job but nothing in stone yet. I do have an interview the 21st at a much better paying job but it's a little farther away than I want. Don't think I should pass it up,I'll make it work somehow if i get it.

Kinda feel like a bum not working. I did detail the cars,clean the garage and rode my quad as part of me trying to wind down from the problems the last employer has.

Here is the FJ. I stripped the seats out to clean it.

I'm not made of money so I do need to go job looking. Wife wants me to find something easy and close to home like tractor supply. LoL
SCE has a few positions commutable to you in Palmdale, Lancaster & over the hill in Redlands. Take a look at their website & see if anything fits:

I dispatch a couple power plants around you as well. Checked my companies website but there aren't any open positions currently in your area.

Well today was a surprise. I went to 3 places to put in my application. I had to go to the DMV to get my driving printout to use with my application at some of the places posted.

On my way to the DMV I got a message through indeed that a shop owner wanted to talk with me. Happened to be a shop we dealed with a lot when I worked at the radiator shop.

I walked in the door and they recognized me. We talked a few minutes and he hired me on the spot.

Something I need to mention is that anyone that has been on this site any length of time knows I have a great dislike for European cars. This shop specializes in them!

Oh no! Bmw,Mercedes, jag, Ferrari, Porsche,Lamborghini's are all there! Oh the horror.

I'm going to give it a try. They do have all the needed software for these fine machines.

They only use OEM parts and tomorrow I will be putting suspension parts on a Mercedes.

Shop is 15-20 minutes away from home so no stupid long commute. Got a burger place next door and a weinerschnitzel across the street so I won't starve.

We shall see how this goes lol

Well today was a surprise. I went to 3 places to put in my application. I had to go to the DMV to get my driving printout to use with my application at some of the places posted.

On my way to the DMV I got a message through indeed that a shop owner wanted to talk with me. Happened to be a shop we dealed with a lot when I worked at the radiator shop.

I walked in the door and they recognized me. We talked a few minutes and he hired me on the spot.

Something I need to mention is that anyone that has been on this site any length of time knows I have a great dislike for European cars. This shop specializes in them!

Oh no! Bmw,Mercedes, jag, Ferrari, Porsche,Lamborghini's are all there! Oh the horror.

I'm going to give it a try. They do have all the needed software for these fine machines.

They only use OEM parts and tomorrow I will be putting suspension parts on a Mercedes.

Shop is 15-20 minutes away from home so no stupid long commute. Got a burger place next door and a weinerschnitzel across the street so I won't starve.

Congrats.

Proper software, and the use of OEM parts, tells me that this is a good shop for working on those cars.

Take full advantage of the software. Mercedes instructions are exceptionally detailed and useful. The “vernacular” - the design and service language - of those cars may well be different than that of the cars on which you are used to working. Let the factory service information be your translator as you learn that language.

I hope that your first day is going well and that you haven’t had the urge to burn a Mercedes to the ground. 😉🍻
Almost. They have me replacing some suspension parts on a Mercedes that smacked a curb pretty good. Good thing a tool truck showed up early. I had to buy some external torx sockets as i didn't have the correct size.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. It sucks seeing good workers getting hampered by their jobs, and taking that step to a better job gets harrowing.

Best of luck with new job. Granted they're 35 yrs old now. But I found BMWs nothing special to wrench on. ball joints are still being used. As for ease to work on, I much preferred bugs and BMWs to Fords and Jeeps. Jury is still out on Camrys :cool:

Back