THE most reliable engine ever built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what you're opinions are on what the most reliable gasoline engine is? Let's define reliable as going the most miles on the least amount of work.
smile.gif
As you guys might guess my vote is the Jeep 4.0...200k, runs perfect, doesn't leak or burn a drop of anything!
grin.gif

Mopar Slant Six. 225k miles on dino, will last forever with synthetic and good upkeep.

Dan

Given the most reliable car that I've been associated with the least maintenance, the Renault 16.

I'd like to say Holden 6 cyl (because I've driven about 400,000 miles on them), but they needed intervention regularly.

The Renault got GTX or XLD every 5,000km, a new set of plugs and points annualy. Valve clearance adjustment every couple years. Aside from a regularly overcooked starter motor (huddled under exhaust manifold), very little else.

Pretty much any inline 6 that is well thought out and well built seems to last a really long time.

Why isn't there more I6's in the American auto market?

**** V8 crazy!

No doubt about it. Volvo L4, iron block. Turbo versions last 300-500K Miles with ease. Normally aspirated versions, we haven't seen the end yet.

Why question the highest mile car on the road? Look up Irv Gordon and his 1800. Did I hear 2 million yet?

Stupid Volvo stopped making the engine.

I'm with both Alan and Dan4510. When I think of long lasting, low maintenance engines the MOPAR slant six and Ford inline six immediately come to mind.

If Ford offered the inline 6 with a 5spd tranny in the F150 4bys, I'd be first in line.

Mikep

Pablo, didn't Irv Gordon hit 2 million about 3 years ago? Do you know if he's ever had any kind of engine work done at all? I wonder what oil he uses and how often he changes it? I hope he's not a 3k oil changer! (I heard before that he was!)
shocked.gif

I read he had an engine rebuild at 680k.It wouldn't surprise me if he used 20W50.

The 6 cylinder engines used in the early Z Cars would good ones that deserve a mention , so were the Toyota 2TC/3TC series other than the timing chain service needed when the wrong oil filter was used .

That was back before anti-drain back valves were generaly known about .

We need a new topic... what was the worst junk ever built
tongue.gif

I had a 83 280ZX.That engine is tough!I used Castrol Syntec and it didn't leak or burn at all.

The frame/body was the weakness of that car,rust city.

Irv is a 3k oil changer and uses whatever...some say Castrol, but he will NOT advertise an oil.

I was somewhat tongue in cheek about the 2 megmiles.

He did a lower end only at 800k or so and then new rings, etc sometime after 1.5 million miles...dang I guess that's premature failure! (The numbers here are approx. I'll get a link or two when I get some time to search)

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I am biased having had three pickups with Ford 300 I6 engines.

Yep. Thats the one I was thinking of. I think Whimsey had one with that engine also. Gave it to his brother in-law and it is still on the road today running like a top. The F-Series bodies will rust away around the motor long before the engine gives up.

Motorbike....I'll cast my vote for the Caddy 4-6-8 as the biggest POS engine ever made.

Mikep

What about the VW Bug (original)? They stopped making that in what, 1974? I see these just about EVERY DAY here in California. One was parked next to me at work today, which is what made me think about it.

They may require work from time to time, but man, they're STILL out there IN QUANTITY, 20 years after the last one was made. Gotta give it up for that.

Ford flathead V8s are my all time favs. Fun to play with and build good HP for a few bucks.

My first truck ( 52 ford, sweet )had one and I couldn't blow that thing up. Come to think of it I had to push start it compression was so low !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back