The Jeep was hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The replacement wheel came in, it was $2,200.00.

Which would be about $1700 US.
smile.gif

Also if total damages come in at $10k, that would be about $7800 US. In case some of the posters from the US were wondering why some of the amounts seem so high.
smile.gif

Going back to the OP, my guess is the other driver's mom or dad works or retired from the local Police dept.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I’d trade that right after fixed if you wanted to swap already before the reports against vin update.

That is bad damage in terms of suspension and future alignments.

With a shot like that I think I'd be trading it in too, no matter how good the body shop is. Cosmetics are one thing, but a hit to the suspension/axle like that I wouldn't be happy. I'm glad no one got hurt.

I think you would be really surprised what a GOOD BODY SHOP can do these days. It's not like "back in the day" when you could see a frame that was so out of alignment it looked like the vehicle was going down the road sideways.

Body shops can do plenty but the end of it all is it they don't have precision, lasers, robot level assembly, dipped painting etc. They learn on each new job.

They have lasers on frame straitening equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5CqBavB2w

To say "they learn on each new job" is somewhat disingenuous. There are only so many ways to damage a vehicle-while there might be variations-they have seen many things before.

The OP can do what he wants. Personally-assuming a satisfactory repair-I wouldn't get rid of the vehicle.

Last edited:

The OP can do what he wants. Personally-assuming a satisfactory repair-I wouldn't get rid of the vehicle.

Yeah, my dad is on the opposite side of the fence, assuming there is structural damage and cheering for "trade it". Won't know until the strut arrives and they get into that part of it. I am waffling on trading it in on a TrackHawk, but I don't really need an additional 237HP, this thing is a hoot as it is, and gas mileage is decent enough too. We'll see I guess
21.gif

I am waffling on trading it in on a TrackHawk, but I don't really need an additional 237HP

"Need" has nothing to do with it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I am waffling on trading it in on a TrackHawk, but I don't really need an additional 237HP

"Need" has nothing to do with it.
grin.gif

Hey now
wink.gif

I've held off on taking one for a test drive, because I know the blower whine and ridiculous acceleration might get its hooks into me and that'll be that. Trying to be at least somewhat logical here
grin.gif

Not always. Most shops still use an old Chief frame machine, come-alongs and hydraulic rams and measuring with bubble balancers, weights, tape measures, and tram bars.

There are some modern shops with modern frame machines like Car-O-Liners but they cost extreme money and a lot of shops don't upgrade.

My family owned a collision shop from 1959-2005, tape measure and string, never a return customer!

I am waffling on trading it in on a TrackHawk, but I don't really need an additional 237HP.
We'll see I guess
21.gif

Hey, I thought your name was OVERKILL.
Not only should you have already bought it, but you should be trying to decide which aftermarket tune is going to give you the biggest increase possible.

You're letting us down, man.

cool.gif

BC.

That truly sucks! I hope everything work out for you, I didn't read the whole thing, but do you know the name of the guy that hit you? It would help with insurance as they don't like covering for uninsured, well in Ontario they don' like covering anything, period and will use anything they can to increase the rates.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That truly sucks! I hope everything work out for you, I didn't read the whole thing, but do you know the name of the guy that hit you? It would help with insurance as they don't like covering for uninsured, well in Ontario they don' like covering anything, period and will use anything they can to increase the rates.
frown.gif

Yes, I have his name, insurance company, plate....etc. As I said, the police caught up with him a few hours after the incident. I had a good description of the vehicle and somebody else had already called it in to 911 by the time I called it in.

FWIW my 2000 Mustang was wrecked when I bought it and an old timer aligned the cradle that bolts the front suspension to the unibody and did a front end alignment and the car drives really well; like it never happened. A good body shop will have your car like new and you'll never know that they were there. I disagree with the paint bubbling after a few years. A good paint job is sealed from the elements as if it were new. Besides, bubbles mean it's rusting from the inside out anyways.

Ugh.. Bummer for sure.

I don't think the cost for wheels on my last 3 vehicles combined totaled $1700 USD. Wow.

I agree with the comments above on not sweating the body work down the road. It is amazing what can be done. As far as body work going on a car fax. Is this always the case? The last few visits to the body shop resulted in no "record" for my vehicles, but it was minor stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't think the cost for wheels on my last 3 vehicles combined totaled $1700 USD. Wow.

I'm sure the old one could have been refurbished for $200. And that's in Canadian dollars! I agree with you, Whew!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: JTK

I'm sure the old one could have been refurbished for $200. And that's in Canadian dollars! I agree with you, Whew!

It had chunks out of the aluminum and was fitted to a vehicle that just turned a year old yesterday and stickered at 90 grand. I'm not refurbishing the factory wheel; I'm not refurbishing anything that can reasonably be replaced with new and may have been damaged during this incident. Saving money was not even a consideration in this process given that it was going through insurance and his insurance company is on the hook for the damage their insured party caused.

If this was a 10 year old vehicle with some reasonable wear and tear on it, that kind of approach would have merit, but in this instance, and particularly given these circumstances, it doesn't.

Found a like new one online for $500. The price you quoted is outrageous. So you could buy four of these for $2k.

http://www.originalwheels.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?add=action&key=9140a

LOL! Dude, it's what they cost, go price one out at a dealer and tell me how you make out. You are WAY too concerned about this, it's being paid for by his insurance, I don't care if the wheel is 20 grand, it has no bearing on me, I'm not paying for any of this, it's getting brand new OEM parts and the wheel costs what it costs new from Chrysler, that's all there is to it.

You brought up the price amount not me

I brought up the price of new OEM replacement, you seem to keep trying to make a case for alternatives, which I never in any way asked for or even gave the impression that I was interested in. I'm not sure why you've made this your mission, but I'm not shopping for alternative wheels, I have no interest in alternative wheels or used OEM wheels, so if that's your contribution to the thread, I'll kindly ask you to stop at this juncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back