The Jeep was hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If Jesus came down and bumped your dent his heavenly studgun would still leave a surface 10x too wiggly to be leveled with an allowable amount of primer but whatever
21.gif

It took me awhile to figure out what you meant by Jesus's heavenly studgun.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: MCompact
For some crimes, the death penalty is far too lenient; this is an excellent example...
mad.gif

Lighten up Francis, it's a car.

Yes it is- damaged by a cretin with no respect for others. His conduct has cost OVERKILL more than money- he's cost him time and aggravation. And so I DO believe the death penalty is too lenient for these scumbags- and why I advocate bringing back debtor's prisons.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If Jesus came down and bumped your dent his heavenly studgun would still leave a surface 10x too wiggly to be leveled with an allowable amount of primer but whatever
21.gif

I'm sorry you do not know any truly EXPERT body men.

If you mean a bodyman who can pick-and-file dents out of a modern car where the sheet metal is only a few mils thicker than the final paint finish then, no, I don't! LOL

This does stink.

I guess my only fear (besides the diminished value) would be her alignment. Hopefully they can get that fixed back to 100%. Try it out on some nasty bumps, but also keep an eye on the tire wear. Really stinks since winter is right around the corner. Heck, it may be here for you guys.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This does stink.

I guess my only fear (besides the diminished value) would be her alignment. Hopefully they can get that fixed back to 100%. Try it out on some nasty bumps, but also keep an eye on the tire wear. Really stinks since winter is right around the corner. Heck, it may be here for you guys.

Yeah, we've already had salting, though the rain has washed most of it away thankfully.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
21.gif

I'm sorry you do not know any truly EXPERT body men.

If you mean a bodyman who can pick-and-file dents out of a modern car where the sheet metal is only a few mils thicker than the final paint finish then, no, I don't! LOL

Exactly. People that know little to nothing about bodywork always claim that "no filler" was used.

Every high end show car out there has body filler on it. So it'll be just fine for the daily driver at the collision repair shop.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "filler" if used/applied correctly.

I worked in a body shop and there is nothing wrong with bondo. I would see if you can get a junkyard wheel and other parts and stick the extra money in your pocket; after all, it's your car.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I worked in a body shop and there is nothing wrong with bondo. I would see if you can get a junkyard wheel and other parts and stick the extra money in your pocket; after all, it's your car.

No.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Vehicle damage is tacked on to your title that affect value at sale time??? Must be a Canadian thing.

Shows up in the vehicle history and has a negative impact on resale.

I had a truck with two very minor incidents. One involved scraping my wall in my garage-I paid for that out of pocket. May account for no record. Another I had a girl on her phone run in to me-scraped the passenger front OEM chrome wheel-took out the front bumper cap-and the trim piece underneath the truck that directs air flow. Done through the body shop of my choice-through my insurance company (long story why I use my own insurance). The damage was $2,000.00 to my Silverado.

Neither made it on to the carfax. Sold by dealer as "One owner-clean carfax-no accidents".

Another vehicle-an '05 4Runner-had probable shopping cart impact to passenger front fender-entire fender replaced. At trade in time dealer noticed numbers didn't match. I explained the "incident". Zero effect on trade in balance-didn't show up on Carfax either.

So-no-it doesn't always affect resale value. Many things come in to play.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Vehicle damage is tacked on to your title that affect value at sale time??? Must be a Canadian thing.

I had a truck with two very minor incidents. One involved scraping my wall in my garage-I paid for that out of pocket. May account for no record. Another I had a girl on her phone run in to me-scraped the passenger front OEM chrome wheel-took out the front bumper cap-and the trim piece underneath the truck that directs air flow. Done through the body shop of my choice-through my insurance company (long story why I use my own insurance). The damage was $2,000.00 to my Silverado.

Neither made it on to the carfax. Sold by dealer as "One owner-clean carfax-no accidents".

Another vehicle-an '05 4Runner-had probable shopping cart impact to passenger front fender-entire fender replaced. At trade in time dealer noticed numbers didn't match. I explained the "incident". Zero effect on trade in balance-didn't show up on Carfax either.

So-no-it doesn't always affect resale value. Many things come in to play.

Things may be different in Canada, keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I’d trade that right after fixed if you wanted to swap already before the reports against vin update.

That is bad damage in terms of suspension and future alignments.

With a shot like that I think I'd be trading it in too, no matter how good the body shop is. Cosmetics are one thing, but a hit to the suspension/axle like that I wouldn't be happy. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I’d trade that right after fixed if you wanted to swap already before the reports against vin update.

With a shot like that I think I'd be trading it in too, no matter how good the body shop is. Cosmetics are one thing, but a hit to the suspension/axle like that I wouldn't be happy. I'm glad no one got hurt.

I think you would be really surprised what a GOOD BODY SHOP can do these days. It's not like "back in the day" when you could see a frame that was so out of alignment it looked like the vehicle was going down the road sideways.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
lol you're crazy if you think a body shop won't use any filler when fixing that.

Hey, at least do me the courtesy of reading the bloody thread before commenting. This was covered. Extensively.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I think you would be really surprised what a GOOD BODY SHOP can do these days. It's not like "back in the day" when you could see a frame that was so out of alignment it looked like the vehicle was going down the road sideways.

I'm well aware of what a good body shop can and can't do. Like I said, "I" wouldn't be happy, especially with a vehicle that was pristine prior to the mishap. Certain things I'm OCD about, and certain things I could care less about. A hit like that where the axle was damaged along with suspension parts would be one of those OCD things for me. I'd probably get it fixed and trade it. Opinions vary, the only opinion that matters here is the OP's after it's all said and done. I hope the work exceeds his expectations!

At 150,000km the Santa Fe was rear ended at 80km/hr and the bumper was damaged, the exhaust dropped, spare tire on the ground, and back lift-gate pushed in. As a result I hit someone in front of me (traffic was stopped) and the front hood crumpled inwards and upwards and it broke the front bumper and brush guard.

I took it to a local repair shop where I'm sure they used body filler etc. But I didn't care because I knew I would get the miles out of it either way and because it's a Santa Fe. Not a Jeep SRT!

The vehicle then lived on to 535,000km and about 7 years past the accident date with no rust, no bubbling of the paint etc.

I think it's less of an issue today with today's higher quality fillers than Bondo garbage of yester-year. Not saying that is what they are fixing Overkill's vehicle with but I know mine was and it had 0 issues, so even if they did use it I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

There are thousands of vehicles damaged every day. Don't you think if filler was such a problem people would be up in arms over it and the insurance companies would even be demanding replacement parts instead of filler and this isn't happening.

21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Could try filing a diminished value claim with the insurance company, if your country/state allows it. Here in the US it's often not easy, but there are third party companies that help gather up evidence and help with paperwork, for a fee, of course.

Not sure how to even start on that?

Based on what I've read here, it's probably a no-go, unless you have a hot shot lawyer, maybe.

I have done it, successfully, myself. It's not easy, though. It takes a thorough package and persistence while the insurance company tries not to pay.

Last edited:
Update:

Went to the body shop today, they were using stud welds to pull out what was pushed-in behind the bumper cover. All the body parts are in, but due to the electronic suspension and subsequent special strut, which had to be ordered from the USA, we are waiting on that.

The replacement wheel came in, it was $2,200.00.

Looks like it'll be a few weeks still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back