The hatred for Mopar but the luv for Hyundai anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SRT performance line, the Rams without the Ecodiesel, the PentaStar Equipped Caravans (Not the Pacifica) and certain models out of the Jeep line are great and I would buy them. Everything else FCA produces is complete garbage and I would run fast.

Every OE has it's challenges but Chrysler certainly only seems to care about about the vehicles they make good mark-up on and their bread/butter Dodge Caravan. All the others are 1/2 arsed IMO.

As for Hyundai I just wouldn't buy anything that is a first generation engine / model from them until it has been out a while because they seem to have a history of issues with first generation models until they iron it out. Aside from the manufacturing defects in some engines that went bad because of production QC wasn't up to snuff but that could happen to any OE it wasn't a fault of the engines design itself like some early valve build-up issues on their first round of DI engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I disagree on the new Pacifica. It's getting great reviews beating the established Sienna and Odyssey, and the long term tests I read all had very few issues with it and highly praised the vehicle.

I excluded it because of transmission problems. I know shocking right, Chrysler and transmission problems?
A quick googling will reveal this to you. It also had numerous issues with the in dash radio/nav display.

It's also ugly but I can't call it garbage on that fact, but since we are on the topic of why I don't like it.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
A quick googling reaveals a lot of problems for all makes and models. The reported tranny issues are mostly related to shift quality and programming, something that is common to all new 8, 9, 10 speed transmissions. FCA is certainly not alone on this one. Same goes for the Infotainment systems. Nothing out of ordinary here

Plus, I never saw a review where the Grand Caravan or Town and Country beat the Oddysey. It may have beaten Sienna, but I don't recall anything in past few years where it did that.

A quick googling reaveals a lot of problems for all makes and models. The reported tranny issues are mostly related to shift quality and programming, something that is common to all new 8, 9, 10 speed transmissions. FCA is certainly not alone on this one. Same goes for the Infotainment systems. Nothing out of ordinary here

Plus, I never saw a review where the Grand Caravan or Town and Country beat the Oddysey. It may have beaten Sienna, but I don't recall anything in past few years where it did that.

So I'm not allowed to cross it off my list because of these issues the same way you would include it because you consider it minor?
21.gif

IT'S JUST AN OPINION the same way you can have one. Why do you feel the need to confront me on it instead of stating your own? Or are you just P.O. at me because of our discussion in the other thread where we disagree with each other?

Originally Posted by StevieC
The SRT performance line, the Rams without the Ecodiesel, the PentaStar Equipped Caravans (Not the Pacifica) and certain models out of the Jeep line are great and I would buy them. Everything else FCA produces is complete garbage and I would run fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

Every OE has it's challenges but Chrysler certainly only seems to care about about the vehicles they make good mark-up on and their bread/butter Dodge Caravan. All the others are 1/2 arsed IMO.

As for Hyundai I just wouldn't buy anything that is a first generation engine / model from them until it has been out a while because they seem to have a history of issues with first generation models until they iron it out. Aside from the manufacturing defects in some engines that went bad because of production QC wasn't up to snuff but that could happen to any OE it wasn't a fault of the engines design itself like some early valve build-up issues on their first round of DI engines.

I'm interested to see how our EcoDiesel holds up. It's the pre '16 ones that had issues due to programming (lugging) and inadequate oil spec'ing, both of which were changed for the 2016 MY IIRC. Emissions equipment is a whole other kettle of fish.

So far the fuel mileage has been insanely good and we are really impressed with the operation of it. It's way too early to tell on long-term durability however.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm interested to see how our EcoDiesel holds up. It's the pre '16 ones that had issues due to programming (lugging) and inadequate oil spec'ing, both of which were changed for the 2016 MY IIRC. Emissions equipment is a whole other kettle of fish.

So far the fuel mileage has been insanely good and we are really impressed with the operation of it. It's way too early to tell on long-term durability however.

Yeah it's too early to count them back in IMO, which is why I also excluded them. Once they are proven OK again I would put them back on my list. Wishing you success with yours.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I'm not POed at you or anybody for that matter that I had disagreement with on the internet
cheers3.gif

And I have never in any of my posts even suggested what others are allowed/not allowed to do.
You mentioned it several times that you don't care what others do, I'm the same. So here, we agree on something.
lol.gif

I'm not POed at you or anybody for that matter that I had disagreement with on the internet
cheers3.gif

And I have never in any of my posts even suggested what others are allowed/not allowed to do.
You mentioned it several times that you don't care what others do, I'm the same. So here, we agree on something.
lol.gif

cheers3.gif
Seemed otherwise.

Just got Grand Caravan with exception of the noise on acceleration up to 35 a great vehicle. Noise is almost gone at 4k now. Shifts are excellent. Sounded like a school bus for first 1k I owned it. First Dodge for me in long time as been GM owner over 20 years. Price was right only reason I bought it.

Originally Posted by mclasser
this thread lol

Maybe you should have bought a Dodge Dart! And I could have gotten a Dodge Avenger!

Much more reliable, right?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
this thread lol

Maybe you should have bought a Dodge Dart! And I could have gotten a Dodge Avenger!

Tell my old man that, his Sonata has been on a hook to the shop twice in 2 weeks!

Originally Posted by dishdude
this thread lol

Tell my old man that, his Sonata has been on a hook to the shop twice in 2 weeks!

Well, the Dart and Avenger are known bottom-feeder junk cars.

I'm not doubting their nicer offerings like your Challenger or a Ram would be a FAR better vehicle, but Dart and Avenger?
15.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
this thread lol

109,000 miles on my son's Sonata with no repairs to date. I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL with 17000 miles and it's been great this far.

Last edited:
I almost bought a Santa Fe XL when I was shopping for a replacement for the Journey. I wanted the Luxury trim but they didn't have one in the colour I wanted but were going to try and locate it. In the meantime I had visited Toyota and they had the Highlander that worked for me so I bought that instead. The Santa Fe XL is really nice and the interior has come leaps and bounds a long way over my 2006 model.

I'm not doubting their nicer offerings like your Challenger or a Ram would be a FAR better vehicle, but Dart and Avenger?
15.gif

But wasn't the Dart basically an American-built Alfa Romeo compact, while the Avenger still couldn't get go of the Mitsu and Sebring/Stratus legacy?

Originally Posted by nthach

15.gif

But wasn't the Dart basically an American-built Alfa Romeo compact, while the Avenger still couldn't get go of the Mitsu and Sebring/Stratus legacy?

Doesn't change the result
crackmeup2.gif
15.gif

I'm obviously a GM person and own several GM vehicles. I also have a brain and will buy whatever vehicle best suits what I need with my money. The first non-GM car purchase was a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4, fully loaded. Wife wanted a capable SUV with all the luxury. For the price I couldn't get a comparable Tahoe and regardess the Jeep interior blows away the competition and gets great gas mileage. It has REAL 4x4, quiet and gets great MPG. It just turned 90k miles....never back to the dealer except for the recall for the shifter programming to keep stupid people from hurting themselves.

The 2nd non-GM was my new RAM 1500 4x4 LIMITED. Same as above, GM trucks cannot match the luxury and features and even price with my discount. I tried to replace my Denali pickup with another but [censored] not when they have such a cheap plastic interior and fake wood and not 100% leather seats!. The RAM has it all over the GM trucks including the new revised model for 2019... and this comes from me!!

So - Mopar has been good to me and they don't deserve all the bashing they get. They are really better than you think and the Jeep and RAM are just heads above the competition.

Last edited:
Good question.

My dad loved Chryslers, and in the '60s their powertrains seemed to be head and shoulders above GM and Ford. The Slant Six and the 383 seemed to be indestructible.

Chrysler also was a leader in innovation - torsion-bar suspension, electronic ignition, and modern minivan packaging (2-box with FWD) come to mind.

To me their reputation took a real beating starting in the late '70s and continuing on until about five or so years ago, first with the disastrous lean-burn system, and later with the problematic 4-speed automatic transmissions and 2.7 litre V6. The conversion to FWD was hard on Chrysler's quality, even though it can be argued the K-car and Magic Wagon saved the company.

Their minivans were very trouble-prone here, and seldom got to 200,000 km without a tranny failure and various electrical/electronic issues.

Having said that, the last few years of Chysler minivans seem to be well-regarded; the 3.6 litre Pentastar/6-speed automatic seems to be a winner. Good power, good mileage, good reliability so far. It takes awhile for a manufacturer's bad reputation to be forgotten, requiring several years of good product. We'll see how FCA is regarded in another five years.

The Fiat association has not helped Chrysler's reputation either.

In contrast, Hyundai started out here c. '85 selling the Pony, a simple rear-wheel drive car with a north-south inline-4. It was head-and-shoulders above a lot of the flood of imports we saw at that time - Ladas, Innocentis, Dacias, and Skodas had a bad reputation, and the Pony seemed like a simple throwback to a Japanese car of 10 years before. A lot of people made fun of the Pony, but a lot of owners got long lives and high mileage out of these simple and affordable cars.

The product range and sophistication increased over the next 30 years, to where Hyundai/Kia now offer quite a range of vehicles, generally well-regarded.

For what it's worth, we've owned an '09 Kia Sedona van for a bit over two years, and it's one of the nicest vehicles to work on I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back