The hatred for Mopar but the luv for Hyundai anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by grampi
I hate Mopars because the wifey-poo and I bought a new Intrepid in '98, and I took excellent care of that car and it started burning a qt of oil every 500 miles at just 50K miles. There's no excuse for that, it was just a poorly built vehicle. I think Hyundais are over hyped. They are building better vehicles today than they were 10 years ago, but I think the jury is till out on whether they will hold up over the long haul like Japanese vehicles will.

2.7?

Yep. Junk!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I hate Mopars because the wifey-poo and I bought a new Intrepid in '98, and I took excellent care of that car and it started burning a qt of oil every 500 miles at just 50K miles. There's no excuse for that, it was just a poorly built vehicle. I think Hyundais are over hyped. They are building better vehicles today than they were 10 years ago, but I think the jury is till out on whether they will hold up over the long haul like Japanese vehicles will.

2.7?

Yep. Junk!

Yes, that engine was. I recall it had a tendency to leak water internally, which lead to sludge and consumption. It seems all of them have produced lemons like that though.

How's the current work horse doing? Last time I remember it had 347k if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

How's the current work horse doing? Last time I remember it had 347k if I remember correctly.

Still chugging along at 352K...

I've owned a few Mopars and a few Hyundai/Kia vehicle's. Overall I had less problems with the Hyundai products however our 2005 Caravan was very reliable and is still on the road today being driven by my father in law. If it survives more than a year or two with him behind the wheel that's a real testament to build quality! I'd have no issue owning either one but if given a choice between the two I'd probably be more inclined to buy another Hyundai. They all make good and bad ones. No brand is without its faults.

I like the Challenger but I also Like Hyundai Tucson so either or
lol.gif

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Hyundai / Kia have already passed some of the Japanese makes.

I've yet to see proof of that. Plenty of Japanese makes on the road today easily surpass 200k, 300K miles, and more. It's rare to see the Korean makes with that many miles on them, and this comes straight from my mechanic who sees hundreds of cars per week...

I've yet to see proof of that. Plenty of Japanese makes on the road today easily surpass 200k, 300K miles, and more. It's rare to see the Korean makes with that many miles on them, and this comes straight from my mechanic who sees hundreds of cars per week...

Found some in about 30 seconds. all over 200k.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-kia-sportage-4x4/6693199291.html

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-hyundai-elantra-gls/6683056657.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-hyundai-sonata/6694468097.html

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-hyundai-elantra/6688293064.html

This one has 300k

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/hyundai-sonata/6658636917.html

I have one to add to that list (Signature) and my sister has beaten the snot out of 2 elantras and they all made it past 200K miles (320,000km) on conventional oil changed whenever she gets to it and driven like she is qualifying for the grand-prix even on a cold engine. 1 was here in Canada and 2 in Dubai in really hot summers like Arizona. My moms Kia Spectra also made it to 250K miles (400,000km) between her and the friend that bought it after her before totaling it.

Last edited:

I wonder if when Kia etc start having better residual if that would change. Right now many people ditch cars when repairs exceed value--assuming they hold onto them that long.

Been seeing reports about how used car pricing is going up. I guess with credit rates going up it was bound to happen. Might see all cars getting more miles onto them, as people hold onto them for even longer.

Also: it tends to be harder to get high mile vehicles in the rustbelt. I wonder if your mechanic isn't biased by that.

I also wonder where the high mileage Hyundai/Kia's are. Around here you simply rarely see any old ones. Rust is not the issue here in Central Florida.

My last real driving impression of them was in a new Elantra which fluttered its floorboards like a model T when driven over harsh railroad tracks. Not impressive. Probably a fine commuter car with tons of things to play with. Every time someone shows me their new Hyundai/Kia all they want to talk about is the toys.

Re: Mopars, we have 2 now, RAM with over 70k miles and my old SRT8 with a little less than 110k miles. Both have been excellent cars, and my SRT has actually been clocked quicker than my sig. I'll be at the strip in November for an event and I expect mid to lower 12's out of the old girl. I am also always on the lookout for a specific new Mopar but very choosy. No hesitation buying one at all.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Found some in about 30 seconds. all over 200k.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-kia-sportage-4x4/6693199291.html

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-hyundai-elantra-gls/6683056657.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-hyundai-sonata/6694468097.html

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-hyundai-elantra/6688293064.html

This one has 300k

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/hyundai-sonata/6658636917.html

That's 5 examples. My mechanic sees hundreds of vehicles, and he says it's not even close...he sees far more high mileage Japanese makes than Korean ones...

Originally Posted by supton

I wonder if when Kia etc start having better residual if that would change. Right now many people ditch cars when repairs exceed value--assuming they hold onto them that long.

Been seeing reports about how used car pricing is going up. I guess with credit rates going up it was bound to happen. Might see all cars getting more miles onto them, as people hold onto them for even longer.

Also: it tends to be harder to get high mile vehicles in the rustbelt. I wonder if your mechanic isn't biased by that.

We are in the rust belt, so all vehicles see the same amount of corrosion causing materials...

My mechanic/good friend drives a new Kia Sorrento, his second one, and says that he see's more domestic with a mix of Japanese than he does Korean in his shop for repairs. He also has customers with upwards of 200k on their Korean vehicles. FWIW.

Everything is hearsay to a point and any sample size that we hear about or experience personally is rather small. I do know that my mom has a 09 Kia that now has around 220,000 miles on it. It's been bulletproof with regular maintenance.

Keep in mind the volume of vehicles the Japanese OE's sell versus the Koreans which are gaining in market-share but still nowhere near the volume. Also I think with the Japanese vehicles typically being more expensive than the Korean vehicles folks might be more inclined to keep them longer before trading them in. Just offering other things to consider.

Last edited:
I concur.

It's lonely at the top.

The Pentastar stands alone on the podium.

Once off brand vehicles win the most NASCAR championships in the fewest years, and dominate the 1/4 mile, I'll pay attention to them & their silly low viscosity oil tales.

Sometimes I feel there're Bill France clones on here.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I also wonder where the high mileage Hyundai/Kia's are. Around here you simply rarely see any old ones. Rust is not the issue here in Central Florida.

My last real driving impression of them was in a new Elantra which fluttered its floorboards like a model T when driven over harsh railroad tracks. Not impressive. Probably a fine commuter car with tons of things to play with. Every time someone shows me their new Hyundai/Kia all they want to talk about is the toys.

Re: Mopars, we have 2 now, RAM with over 70k miles and my old SRT8 with a little less than 110k miles. Both have been excellent cars, and my SRT has actually been clocked quicker than my sig. I'll be at the strip in November for an event and I expect mid to lower 12's out of the old girl. I am also always on the lookout for a specific new Mopar but very choosy. No hesitation buying one at all.

For Mopar, the LX platform was like the 1960s-1970s came back to them - but they did have a hit on their hands with the minivans but bailouts and shoddy cars pretty much killed them. Fiat Chrysler realizes they can't a me too with Chrysler and Dodge. They're putting their money on Jeep being a global American brand where Chevy failed(and if Holden falters in Australia, GM can kiss expanding Chevy goodbye), and Jeep has strong brand equity.

Hyundai made garbage and realized they had to bolster customer confidence and break ties with Mitsubishi. Both Mopar and Hyundai shared a commonality with Mitsu, if it wasn't for the latter helping out Mopar in the 1980s, Chrysler would have ceased to exist. The K-Cars(and the minivans) did rely on Mitsu engines and they needed those captive imports for CAFE. I think Hyundai has beaten Toyota at their own game - Uber drivers are buying more Sonatas and Elantras and not as many Priuses as they did. No hybrid battery to worry about and decent(for a non-hybrid) MPG as well as a lower price are good reason why.

I think Nissan was a good suitor for Mitsu - both make whitegoods(so does Toyota, but we all know the saying about lipstick on pigs) and both had their heyday in the 80s. While Mitsu did find some fanbois with the Lancer Evo, the WRX was vastly superior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

We are in the rust belt, so all vehicles see the same amount of corrosion causing materials...

Right, but when a person is hit with a $1,000 repair on a $1,000 car, they generally bolt.

Pure SWAG but I'm guessing a Camry with rotted brake lines is more apt to get those lines replaced than a Kia. Simply because of perceived value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back