Test Drive - 2014 Silverado LT Crew Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of coil vs leaf talk! Jeebus.

There are pro's and con's to both and having been in the off road sport for many years, the setup comes down to personal preference. My trail Jeep still runs spring under leaves, but I'll tell you that it's setup to where it's nearly as flexy as the 4 link/air shocks in my buggy, but more simple!

Dodge/Ram have taken a different approach and the rear coil introduction a few years ago was part of the plan for the air bag/ride height idea to increase mileage (IMO). You can't do that with leaves. I think it's a commendable approach! GM used rear coils 40-50 years ago too and it worked OK.

Personally, my club tows all of our rigs to the trail and I'll tell you that anyone with a newer coil Dodge is typically a bit butt end low with their trailer attached. The GM and Ford guys (I have a '12 F150) are pretty level and in my case, still have a rear rake.

So, again, pros and cons. Regarding the "discussion" of broken coils, I have never seen a full size or HD truck with one. I take that back, I do remember a broken coil on an F150, but it was jumped about 15 feet in the air.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I forgot this is a Chrysler/Fiat board and they can do no wrong.

I'm out.

Now I've heard it all. Between Chrysler and GM, I'm not sure which company has more hatred spewed towards it on this board.

Always entertaining, isn't it? Not very informative though.

C'mon Hatteras, show me an American truck with a broken coil spring. I have a whole driveway of HEAVILY loaded 3500 long wheelbase vans and a few more Silverado 1500's and we haven't had a broken spring in the history of our business! This is across three different brands as well!

Maybe this is more known in the Rust Belt states as the roads there were unbelievably rough when we were through there recently, but it just plain don't happen around here...

It happens up here but i wouldn't say its regular thing. I have seen broken coils, leafs and even broke a torsion bar on my expedition.
Rust, terrible roads and low temps in winter all play a part. Some roads here eat wheels for breakfast and VW beetles for lunch, its like WWII tank traps around here.
Rotten frames, body mounts, broken/rotten control arms, wheel bearings, ball joints, seized brake calipers and e brake cables, rotten running boards and spring perches are all common enough.

From my own experience they pretty much go in this order.

Fords. Rotten to pieces underneath and lower bodies, broken frames are very common on Rangers with older Expeditions/pick ups not far behind (both used Dana frames).
Nothing is immune from rust on these vehicles, personally i have never seen anything rust as bad as these in the salt belt. I hate working on them.

GMC/Chevy. Very good frames, decent bodies, rotten brake, fuel lines and brake backing plates. Overall very good considering.

Ram. Good frames but bad lower body and fender rot. Not bad really, bodies can be fixed but a rotten frame and you have no truck.

Toyota. Old trucks rusted badly here (IIRC also Dana built frame) frames and beds were horrific, older Tacoma's are seldom seen with an original bed. Newer ones are right with GMC, pretty good. Land Cruisers were no real problem old or new.

Nissan. Don't know i don't see many.

Mazda. See Ford Ranger.

Jeep. Frames okay, bodies rot in the lower regions, nothing terrible.

Honda. Very good for rust underneath and a very unique frame setup, almost like a hybrid unibody but it definitely has frame rails. Not my idea of a truck but overall it seems well built body and frame wise anyway, rust is not a real issue.

Like i say this is just what i see i'm sure others may have different experiences.

Wow, Trav, that just makes me feel for you poor guys having to turn wrenches on those rusted up hulks.

But I suppose a spring could rust out, that's something I just can't even hardly visualize. I guess we are so spoiled by the near complete lack of corrosion down here...

I envy you guys in warm climates working on cars and trucks in salt regions sucks bad.
The springs when they break seem to do it more in really cold weather so i am guessing temp has a lot to do with it, rust and fatigue from some of the poorest roads outside the third world weakens them no doubt.

Man I am luck living out here in the Pacific North West.
Not a spot of rust, sometimes it even takes while far bare metal to start to rust.

Don't forget, we don't have many frost heaves in summertime. Sometimes they seem to pop up overnight, meaning you were going full speed on what was a smooth road. Perversely enough, dirt roads tend to get smoother once it gets cold enough that snow/ice stop melting. Less road repair in winter too.

[I remember one winter where nothing was removing ice from the roadway though; made for some pretty rough pavement indeed.]

I like going to NH the roads are billiard table smooth compared to this rubble down here.
In two towns where i have buildings they have not repaired a road properly in 6 years, one of them has hardly any street lights on (no money, the usual cry) so you drive like a drunken sailor avoiding the holes in the freaking darkness.

One thing about the snow though is it fills the holes and smooths the roads as long as it last.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are you serious about buying a truck or just test driving it for curiosity ?

I am serious about buying another car, but I am considering a few different options.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Wait until you sit in the Ram
wink.gif

The new ones are nice for sure. My old mans got a '14 and its certainly a nice truck but when comparing the brands chev has the truck to beat.
My 04 hemi was a nice truck with cool gadgets but take it off the pavement and it was pretty much useless. My 99 would easily rip circles around it in mud and deep snow.
The hemi had it beat for power and torque but that chev was almost impossible to get stuck.
I got it stuck once and I routinely put that truck in harms way and it never let me down.
I miss my hemi for sure but for different reasons.
My ram was like a comfy mobile office with cool hidden power points and neat little things I never expected but my chev is basically bare bones with a lever actuated 4 wheel drive. No bells and whistles but in -40 my truck was the only unit on the block that started and I made multiple passes every morning boosting different neighbours.
My chev is a truck. It rides like one,has multiple tow hook points attached to frame for extracting over zealous or in unprepared motorists that ended up in the ditch.
It's served me for many years without fail.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I'm out.

Now I've heard it all. Between Chrysler and GM, I'm not sure which company has more hatred spewed towards it on this board.

C'mon Hatteras, show me an American truck with a broken coil spring. I have a whole driveway of HEAVILY loaded 3500 long wheelbase vans and a few more Silverado 1500's and we haven't had a broken spring in the history of our business! This is across three different brands as well!

Maybe this is more known in the Rust Belt states as the roads there were unbelievably rough when we were through there recently, but it just plain don't happen around here...

It happens up here but i wouldn't say its regular thing. I have seen broken coils, leafs and even broke a torsion bar on my expedition.
Rust, terrible roads and low temps in winter all play a part. Some roads here eat wheels for breakfast and VW beetles for lunch, its like WWII tank traps around here.
Rotten frames, body mounts, broken/rotten control arms, wheel bearings, ball joints, seized brake calipers and e brake cables, rotten running boards and spring perches are all common enough.

From my own experience they pretty much go in this order.

Fords. Rotten to pieces underneath and lower bodies, broken frames are very common on Rangers with older Expeditions/pick ups not far behind (both used Dana frames).
Nothing is immune from rust on these vehicles, personally i have never seen anything rust as bad as these in the salt belt. I hate working on them.

GMC/Chevy. Very good frames, decent bodies, rotten brake, fuel lines and brake backing plates. Overall very good considering.

Ram. Good frames but bad lower body and fender rot. Not bad really, bodies can be fixed but a rotten frame and you have no truck.

Toyota. Old trucks rusted badly here (IIRC also Dana built frame) frames and beds were horrific, older Tacoma's are seldom seen with an original bed. Newer ones are right with GMC, pretty good. Land Cruisers were no real problem old or new.

Nissan. Don't know i don't see many.

Mazda. See Ford Ranger.

Jeep. Frames okay, bodies rot in the lower regions, nothing terrible.

Honda. Very good for rust underneath and a very unique frame setup, almost like a hybrid unibody but it definitely has frame rails. Not my idea of a truck but overall it seems well built body and frame wise anyway, rust is not a real issue.

Like i say this is just what i see i'm sure others may have different experiences.

I have seen some GMs with rotted bodies from up north, mostly '88-'98/'00 models. The extended cabs got it bad in the rockers and back cab corners. I have seen one '99-'02 that was disintegrating, severe rot all over the bed and cab, but I think it was an extreme case because it's the only one I have seen like that.

Fords are hit or miss. '80-'96/'97 F-Series trucks were prone to rot in the cab corners and rear wheel arches, but I haven't seen a '97 or newer one with a rotted body. As far as frames, I don't know. With Rangers, I have heard of frame rot on '93 and later models, but have only seen one that was unsafe/unrepairable sitting in a field in rural VT. My '02 has seen light salt every winter of its life and is totally rust free, even the spring shackles, but salt a few days a year is much different from salt a few months a year. My Explorer from PA had a badly rotted body, brake lines, and various brackets/hardware, but the frame was rock solid front to back, I don't know how. It was undercoated once when new and got no rust treatment after that.

As for Dodge, I have seen a rotted out '02-'05 Ram, but again it was just one truck. I haven't seen a rotted out '94-'01, but I have seen a lot of rotted Ram Vans. Most of the body on those was from '71 or '72 though. I saw one today where the roof had actually split from the body at the drip rail.

Anyway, I doubt Mike will be dealing with this in CA.

As for coil springs, that's nothing new. GM did it with 1/2 tons from 1967-1972. Today those trucks can sell for $30K easily in excellent condition and are generally recognized as one of the most sought after GM trucks. The only thing I don't like in a truck suspension is struts. I think wear items on a truck should be made to be easily serviceable. Assuming you can break the top nut free on the front shocks, technically all you need to replace all four shocks on my truck is two adjustable wrenches. That's how it should be.

Originally Posted By: supton
Coworker snapped a coil on his Jetta. Apparently if the powder coating has a defect the rust will get in.

Yep. I broke two Eibach front springs on my Camaro due to salt corrosion when the powder coating failed. Got free replacements, though.

I REALLY like the Ram 1500 offering here. The interior is a little too showy for my tastes, but I'd much prefer a coil-sprung rear suspension than one with leaves. That's going to give you the best chance of a ride that is comparable to a car. It's still a large and heavy solid axle floating around back there, so the discerning will still feel that, but it's going to be the best compromise between a good ride and something with that kind of capability.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This truck did have the 18" GY Assurance CS Fuel Max tires, which may have helped its ride quality. Also, I found the highway road noise to be minimal - and get ready, much lower than my Prius!

I've yet to see one locally with the Assurance CS Fuel Max tires. I wonder if that if GM is only equipping trucks headed to California dealers with those.

What I've seen are General Grabbers, Bridgestone Duelers, Goodyear Wrangler RS-A, and Goodyear Eagle 2's.

I'm out.

You live in FL you don't have to deal with the frost heaved roads and rust issues New England does.

Coils break, along with everything else eventually. My 05 work truck is starting to get bubbles on the front fenders, and the rear bumper is held on by hopes and dreams. My lumber salesman has a 10 and the rear bumper will be rotted out in a couple of years at the rate its going.

The reference I was making was to an off road expedition Diamler did in Australia a couple years ago and every G wagon on it except the military spec one had broken rear coil springs.

There engineers concluded that running lower profile street tires ie the 18's and what just about every half ton Dodge comes with, plus a good load on dirt roads can cause failure. The military version came with proper off road tires and smaller 16in wheels so they had lots of sidewall. I suspect as those trucks age people who really use them as trucks will start to see a similar failure pattern. But they are to new now and most people never venture off the pavement.

Last edited:
You live in FL you don't have to deal with the frost heaved roads and rust issues New England does. Coils break, along with everything else eventually.

Totally agreed, I happen to LOVE it here. But it is 98 here in the shade, man.

Rust is something we blissfully acknowledge no experience with. But you'd think our 3500 vans going out every day well over 9000 pounds would be pounding those front coils just as hard as anyone.

You live in FL you don't have to deal with the frost heaved roads and rust issues New England does. Coils break, along with everything else eventually.

Rust is something we blissfully acknowledge no experience with. But you'd think our 3500 vans going out every day well over 9000 pounds would be pounding those front coils just as hard as anyone.

How often do you think your vans catch air? Its not all that common, but not seeing a good frost heave can have all four off the ground if the driver is speeding a bit.
I think though some coil springs have a flaw and break, but most don't. Also some suspension designs allow more range of motion in a spring and may tend to crack more springs.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

How often do you think your vans catch air? Its not all that common, but not seeing a good frost heave can have all four off the ground if the driver is speeding a bit.
I think though some coil springs have a flaw and break, but most don't. Also some suspension designs allow more range of motion in a spring and may tend to crack more springs.

If I ever hear of one of my vans going airborne someone is getting fired on the spot!

But my Wife doesn't think a car or truck is worth a hoot until she jumps it over her favorite railroad track. I was with her once in a 99 Ram when she hit so hard we bounced airborne AGAIN on impact! But she's far from a typical woman driver, she actually can drive pretty well.

And she's never broken a spring either!

Talk about advanced notice!

Originally Posted By: 2James1

FWIW Ram has recently announced that the 2041 2500 models will have coil springs. Lets hope they did their homework.

paying msrp on a truck is sort of like going to mexico and not asking to bargain. they often are advertized down here in texas for 12-15k off, across fords, dodges, and chevys. go right ahead and be proud of paying 38k though, just dont whine when you try to sell it for 34k on craigslist and expect a single sucker to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back