Tesla 1st world problems thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Nick1994
15 cars in line, 13 cars charging. 1 hour to charge means waiting in line for just over an hour. Not all that bad.

Sound about like trying to get gas at costco.

Curious at certain times they will only let you charge to 80% so to bump you out at about 40 min.

The V3s can bump you out in 20 min but give you over 200 miles in that time if you are at the bottom 1/4rd of the batt.

UD

15 cars in line, 13 cars charging. 1 hour to charge means waiting in line for just over an hour. Not all that bad.

Do the filling places have "full serve" so you don't have to waste an hour of a day on these kind of things. Seems like a function a Tesla could self drive into.

In line for an hour, charge for an hour. No thanks.

Originally Posted by MadAmos
I have a ELR and agree, I only charge at home or at work the good part is I have 50k and have been to a gas station 11 times.

I really liked the look of the ELR. It's too bad they didn't sell well. How do you like it?

Originally Posted by Cujet

In line for an hour, charge for an hour. No thanks.

Yep, that takes the fun out of owning a Tesla if you are stuck waiting to charge.

I am guessing landscape/urban area will change up and a EV will drop you off at destination and then drive itself to get charged and then a lot far away until summoned back.

Until then people(early adopters) will put up with spending up to 2hrs charging when outside the normal routine.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am guessing landscape/urban area will change up and a EV will drop you off at destination and then drive itself to get charged and then a lot far away until summoned back.

Until then people(early adopters) will put up with spending up to 2hrs charging when outside the normal routine.

I suspect that 240 V plug-ins will be common everywhere you go, home and businesses so you won't need to supercharge as much. But even if they have self drive to charging, I don't think it will help the people in the photo much. Best to keep a gasser for holiday trips.

I like the few drives sitting with their foot on the brakes like the line is going to move all of a sudden, meanwhile people in front have hatches open and standing outside their cars.

So basically the concept of the coast to coast supercharger is great in theory it falls flat on its face when the car is popular and people are traveling for the holidays. 1 hour stop for recharge is bad enough let alone 2. Figure 300 mile range (just guessing) so lets say 4-4.5 hours driving, 2 hour stop to recharge - this effectively increases your total trip time by +40%. Hard pass.

Originally Posted by Burt
Originally Posted by madRiver

I suspect that 240 V plug-ins will be common everywhere you go, home and businesses so you won't need to supercharge as much. But even if they have self drive to charging, I don't think it will help the people in the photo much. Best to keep a gasser for holiday trips.

I believe that this will be the near future for EVs. A two car household with one EV commuter vehicle and one ICE. This will be limited to highly urbanized areas as well.

I will wait until they (A) have the 3 or 4 minute recharge stations readily available, and (B) sell base models that are competitive with the less expensive gasoline powered cars before I will consider going electric.

But if the EV cars on the market today meet your needs, go for it and enjoy, no skin off of my back.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I could note we have both fuel and power shortages during storms and flooding …
Anyone know the water crossing limits of a Tesla ? Most vehicles don't supply that … think I had only one address that in the Owners Manual

I thought Elon had put a "Walk On Water" mode in these cars?

My guess, watch one try to cross. You will hear that sharp crack and the blue flash. Dead

And? Progress comes with hiccups. But what is the luddite answer, ICE forever? As the charging infrastructure gets built out, batteries improve, @home charging gets faster, all of these issues will diminish.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
I like the few drives sitting with their foot on the brakes like the line is going to move all of a sudden, meanwhile people in front have hatches open and standing outside their cars.

For Tesla cars its normal. They have a hold feature where if the car comes to a complete stop, the driver doesnt have to hold the brake pedal, the car will do it for them and keep the brake light on.
It can be turned off of course.

So this simply means people in line kept their cars in D, but the car held the brakes, most likely for them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by 4WD
I could note we have both fuel and power shortages during storms and flooding …
Anyone know the water crossing limits of a Tesla ? Most vehicles don't supply that … think I had only one address that in the Owners Manual

I thought Elon had put a "Walk On Water" mode in these cars?

My guess, watch one try to cross. You will hear that sharp crack and the blue flash. Dead

Supposed to actually be pretty good.

Not sure Id try it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...del_x_bossing_through_that_flooded_area/

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 8.53.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Ok, I get it. These people went further from home than usual because it was Thanksgiving and now they are at an isolated but large charge station. They will have to wait an hour. If they would be content with an 80% charge they could have brought that down, not only for their charge, but for the wait time for the guy behind them.

It a good business opportunity. Put a restaurant there with a jacked up priced menu and maybe a play area for the kids. (Pay of course)

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Ok, I get it. These people went further from home than usual because it was Thanksgiving and now they are at an isolated but large charge station. They will have to wait an hour. If they would be content with an 80% charge they could have brought that down, not only for their charge, but for the wait time for the guy behind them.

Yup pretty much.

If you plan your trip poorly and arrive empty at a mega popular destination at lunch or dinner time you'll probably have to wait.

UD

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by MadAmos
I have a ELR and agree, I only charge at home or at work the good part is I have 50k and have been to a gas station 11 times.

I really liked the look of the ELR. It's too bad they didn't sell well. How do you like it?

Not really on topic but I have really enjoyed it and plan on driving it as long as it will go.

Back