Tell us about your Christmas tree this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Linctex , I just spent 10 minutes skimming the Cliff's notes for Jeremiah: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/o/old-testament-of-the-bible/summary-and-analysis/jeremiah. After all, there is more to Sundays than football.
grin2.gif

Hope I didn't trip any RSP flags
28.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: P8bsgOy
Originally Posted By: car51
Don’t have a Christmas tree either. Busy with other matters and working hard
smile.gif

The same here.

Nothing wrong with not having a tree if that is how you feel about it. But....to say it's because a person is too "busy" or that it has something to do with "working hard"? Nothing personal, but that's not really a reason.

It's an artificial about 4 feet tall, kids are all grown up, but we like to have one up every year...
I like Christmas time, also put a Santa in front of the house...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For some, Christmas really isn't important.

It's just another day....

Exactly! It’s like thanksgiving: good to have family and few close friends TOGETHER.

Originally Posted By: car51

Exactly! It’s like thanksgiving: good to have family and few close friends TOGETHER.

^
^
This

I read today that the average size Christmas tree takes 10 years to grow. All to be chopped down and used for a few weeks time. Makes me appreciate the artificial one a little more. But I do love the fresh pine scent they give off.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I read today that the average size Christmas tree takes 10 years to grow. All to be chopped down and used for a few weeks time. Makes me appreciate the artificial one a little more. But I do love the fresh pine scent they give off.

Christmas trees are an agricultural crop, and all that implies. The millions of trees harvested annually are not coming out of forests. If you research articles comparing real vs. artificial, neither choice has a huge environmental impact. The American Christmas Tree Association put their best spin on recent research comparing the environmental impacts of real vs. artificial, and even they concede that the artificial "can" be a better choice IF you use the same one for over 8 years. Likewise, a live tree can also be a "better" choice if certain parameters are followed. No one needs to feel guilty with either choice in my opinion. Read the research and do what one wants.

https://www.christmastreeassociation.org/real-artificial-christmas-tree-environment/

I know and even tend to feel that way. I do however see the value in maintaining American traditions.

We have run the gambit over the decades. Bought a cut tree, cut our own trees many times, artificial for the last decade or so and now down to a table top ceramic tree.

Kids are on their own and no grand kids so the pressure is not there. Plus the Christmas stuff is buried under the stairs.

We have run the gambit over the decades. Bought a cut tree, cut our own trees many times, artificial for the last decade or so and now down to a table top ceramic tree.

Kids are on their own and no grand kids so the pressure is not there. Plus the Christmas stuff is buried under the stairs.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
2. Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I don't follow pagan traditions. I celebrate my faith daily. If you study the Bible and the time line surrounding the birth of Jesus you see that he was born in September. December 25th is a pagan holiday that was celebrated before the birth of Jesus.

Good for you. Most bible scholars agree the verses you quoted are not referring to Christmas trees, but idolatry. I doubt any of us are worshipping our trees.
My Jewish friends put up a Hanukkah bush.

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
2. Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I don't follow pagan traditions. I celebrate my faith daily. If you study the Bible and the timeline surrounding the birth of Jesus you see that he was born in September. December 25th is a pagan holiday that was celebrated before the birth of Jesus.

I would argue that this is basically true to maybe quite not in the details, Saturnalia was celebrated from mid to late December from early in Roman times and then there was a new festival in honor of Soli Invicto (the Unconquered Sun) starting in the late 3rd century that was celebrated on December 25th.
I have seen it suggested by some historians that early Christians may have chosen to celebrate at the same time as their pagan neighbors to avoid rousing suspicion, but I doubt that this is more than supposition.

We put up our 7' tall fake green tree with built in lights just after Thanksgiving, our daughter was dead set against not buying a real tree for each Xmas but my wife and I were just DONE with that as of about 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I have to agree, it is a waste seeing all those trees getting cut down to be used for such a short time. I have an artificial tree to help avoid that.

Real from the forest cut by us after a full day of searching. USFS permit to cut $10. Gas for the F-150 4x4 $60 for an all day adventure in the Mendo Nat'l Forest
laugh.gif

My mother has put up what my brother and I call (to her lack of amusement) her "Christmas shrub", a 4' artificial tree that goes on a pedestal.

I despise Christmas and have no tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back