Maple Tree Bug Problem

We have a Maple Tree that was planted in our Front Yard back in 1993, last year I noticed the bark down by the trunk was sweating. This was on the north side of the tree. Where it was sweating is now dry, but there is no bark. I did notice some black bugs that were an inch long when I pulled some bark off that was about to fall of. The upper branches on top of the tree are dead. The tree has the early red buds so it will produce leaves this spring. Where the bark came off, the tree is solid.

Is this a tree that will die soon or can it go many more years? There are other neighbors that have this same tree in there front yards and there is no problem.

Getting back to the bugs, there were a lot of them. Any advice is appreciated!

if they looked like this its common
1708024060946.jpg

Our county agriculture department recommended spraying the maple tree trunks last spring. I purchased some of the particular insecticide and it kept the invasive bugs away. I don’t recall the name of the product by thanks for reminding me to spray again this year.

I spray the trunks of my trees every year with permethrin a relatively safe insecticide. If there are problems it doesn't correct I move onto Bifenthrin which is a more potent insecticide. Follow bifenthrin application guide carefully. Use protective gloves, long sleeves, etc.

Back