Any Texans familiar with Huisache trees?

When we closed on our home in Corpus Christi in March, there was a potted tree on the side of the house that stood about five feet tall. Its branches would annoyingly brush against the fence and siding when windy, so we decided to do a little research and eventually planted it in the front yard. One of our neighbors came over and told us it's a Huisache (WEE-satch) tree, which many consider to be a nuisance. Over the past six months, the tree has doubled in size, with the top branches now 10 feet off the ground.

These trees are fairly common in the wild, and the new community college nearby just planted several of them around the campus. I've read they can eventually reach 25-30 feet in height, but I've not seen any of them used for home landscaping. Anyone out there have any advice with regard to this type of tree? They're supposed to have beautiful yellow flowers in the springtime, but I don't know if there are downsides to having a Huisache in the yard.

And aside from a weeping willow we planted at my parent's house in Wisconsin many years ago, I don't think I've ever seen a tree grow so fast. Appreciate any feedback from people who are familiar with this breed.

1695746301005.jpeg

1695746281589.jpeg

It’s a good native tree, great for wildlife, drought resistant, and deer resistant. They will only get maybe 25 ft. tall. I would have some if they weren’t as sensitive to cold. I’m on the edge of the hill country about 15 miles west of Austin.

Leaves look very similar to a Mesquite Tree which are also considered a nuisance as they produce thorns 'til mature. Have quite a few Mesquites in my yard, Most being mature. Other than occasional pruning....They require zero up-keep.

Edit.....Mesquites & Huisache are both in the same family of tree (Legume).

Back