Goodbye T-Mobile-Hello Google Fi

Successfully ported 2 of 3 phones and numbers to Google Fi after 20+ years for me and 6 years on a family plan. Coverage is identical. New Pixel 7a free with billing credits for 2 years.
Only regret is not doing it sooner. $80/month 3 lines unlimited everything. Too much drama and unnecessary nonsense with T-Mobile.

I've been with them since it was Project Fi and it has worked well for me. Fortunately T Mobile has been robust in the three areas I've lived in since signing up. Mine runs about $25 per month. I'm on WiFi 95% of the time so little to no data usage. I'm still getting used to the Pixel 8 PRO.

We recently switched to US Mobile. They run off of Tmobile or Verizon towers. Priority data too. $25/month for unlimited data ( 30gb priority) and 5gb hot spot. We haven't noticed any difference from post paid Verizon.

I've used Fi in the past but with recent changes, they're not as good around here anymore. T-Mobile is great in the cities and interstates but poor in the rural areas.

Last edited:
Is Google Fi using T-Mobile tower?
Google Fi = T-Mobile if you have an iPhone. Android, the cell provider is usually T-Mobile but can be others.

There are only three cell providers in the US:
- Verizon
- AT&T
- T-Mobile (Deutsche Telefone)

All other cell companies buy huge amount of minutes from one of these providers at a large discount, and then sell minutes at higher prices to make money.

Successfully ported 2 of 3 phones and numbers to Google Fi after 20+ years for me and 6 years on a family plan. Coverage is identical. New Pixel 7a free with billing credits for 2 years.
Only regret is not doing it sooner. $80/month 3 lines unlimited everything. Too much drama and unnecessary nonsense with T-Mobile.
T-Mobile destroyed the loyal Sprint base. Had been with Sprint since 2001, and in early 2020 right after the lockdowns, they changed my local Sprint tower over to T-M 5G and I didn’t have service for a month, even though daily calls to CS and promises it would be fixed asap went undelivered.

I ported 9 lines over to Verizon, and while more expensive than Sprint, I see 5G speeds in the 300Mbps range and LTE around 110. No complaints other than Verizon is SALTY.

Google Fi = T-Mobile if you have an iPhone. Android, the cell provider is usually T-Mobile but can be others.

There are only three cell providers in the US:
- Verizon
- AT&T
- T-Mobile (Deutsche Telefone)

All other cell companies buy huge amount of minutes from one of these providers at a large discount, and then sell minutes at higher prices to make money.
What about Dish Network, ATT, and US Cellular?

We recently switched to US Mobile. They run off of Tmobile or Verizon towers. Priority data too. $25/month for unlimited data ( 30gb priority) and 5gb hot spot. We haven't noticed any difference from post paid Verizon.

I've used Fi in the past but with recent changes, they're not as good around here anymore. T-Mobile is great in the cities and interstates but poor in the rural areas.
US Mobile ftw....been with them for about 8 months now. Es legit. Only bad part is we moved to an area where Verizon service is spotty so that sucks. :(

@Cropduster172 what nonsense and drama did you experience? I’ve had excellent luck with Sprint before and now TMobile. My local brick and mortar staff have been excellent. I ended up getting a heavily discounted pair of phones a couple of years ago and there were no issues.

with that said, I’m not loyal to any of them. I’ll go with whoever gives the best deal at the time. They’re for sure not loyal to me and I don’t need to be loyal to them.

I originally moved from VZW when they screwed me out of a BOGO offer on two iPhone XR. Chat said I was good to go, even though I was an existing customer, but the first bill showed both phone payments and they refused to budge, even after being elevated to whatever or whomever. I paid off both phones and moved to Sprint soon after. We moved to theT-Mobile Magenta Military 1.0 plan, which I’m hoping we can remain on for a while. I’ve heard the new plans aren’t nearly as good, but that’s based on some Slickdeals posts.

Is there a reason the third didn’t get ported? Just wondering. My brother in law uses their service and has good service in most spots except his country town haha. We have Verizon and it covers in his town so he wants to switch back. T-Mobile in this area isn’t horrible but it’s not great either.

@Cropduster172 what nonsense and drama did you experience? I’ve had excellent luck with Sprint before and now TMobile. My local brick and mortar staff have been excellent. I ended up getting a heavily discounted pair of phones a couple of years ago and there were no issues.

with that said, I’m not loyal to any of them. I’ll go with whoever gives the best deal at the time. They’re for sure not loyal to me and I don’t need to be loyal to them.

I originally moved from VZW when they screwed me out of a BOGO offer on two iPhone XR. Chat said I was good to go, even though I was an existing customer, but the first bill showed both phone payments and they refused to budge, even after being elevated to whatever or whomever. I paid off both phones and moved to Sprint soon after. We moved to theT-Mobile Magenta Military 1.0 plan, which I’m hoping we can remain on for a while. I’ve heard the new plans aren’t nearly as good, but that’s based on some Slickdeals posts.
They're constantly experimenting with forced plan migrations. They're expensive compared to Google Fi for the same level of service. I neither need nor wish to pay for stupid promotions like T-Mobile Tuesdays. They haven't offered any phone deals remotely attractive to me...and I'm saving about $100/month with Google Fi for essentially the same service and getting a free Google Pixel 7A after two years of credits.

I received a mailer from Google Fi Wireless today. I didn't know this was even a thing before today.

My offer shows $160/mo plus taxes and fees for a 4-line unlimited family plan, with a "free" Google Pixel 8 phone. I'm assuming taxes and fees would bring the total up to $180/mo or more.

No thanks.

I'll keep my $125/mo 5-line unlimited family plan from Cricket. That's an all-in price as well. No extra taxes or fees.

I'm thinking of switching to US Mobile after our Visible $15 credit per line ends in a few months. My understanding is they run priority on Verizon if it is a 5G device and T-MOBILE is not prioritized on their network.
Their $25 dollar plan is a great deal especially with priority data, international calling, hot spot and all taxes and fees included.

Is there a reason the third didn’t get ported? Just wondering. My brother in law uses their service and has good service in most spots except his country town haha. We have Verizon and it covers in his town so he wants to switch back. T-Mobile in this area isn’t horrible but it’s not great either.
Just timing. Had to deliver the SIM card. All 3 phones ported hassle free. Even the iPhones. Service is identical to T-Mobile 5g... because it is T-Mobile 5g.

I have been with google fi since inception, 3 lines. The international plan is superior and works flawlessly for me in the Middle East and SEA, no need to buy separate SIM cards was paramount to me. It’s also dirt cheap.

Back