Super Bowl Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
it would be very interesting to see the same teams play 2 or 3 times in a row, see who can adapt and adjust.
Hockey and baseball have much less strategy and set plays and they do the best of 7 games.

Surely you jest . You can do 3 playoff games in 3 successive days in other sports. You need a week to recover from injuries/aches/pains/etc in FB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Glad to see the NFL got the calls right. A catch is a catch.

I hope the guys in the commentary booth don't ever try to become referees or play reviewers. Some of their comments about the questionable/reviewed plays made them look bad.

Collinsworth was absolutely sickening to listen to...

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

No kidding. Michaels and Collinsworth, who I have enjoyed for ages, just looked horrible in some play comments. Jaw-droppingly bad/wrong. Worse than even some of the commercials and the 1/2 time show!
wink.gif

Yea the one where the guy caught the ball, ran into the endzone then the ball hit the ground (and he controlled it)....Comparing it to Jesse James TD, taken away....Duuuuuhhh he was a RUNNER at this game.
crazy2.gif

And then the one "bobbled" in the EndZome.....Duuuhhh They are not going to change the ruling made on the field. scheeeesch.

Originally Posted By: car51
Al: you really think Foles will be gone? I hear he played great last night even on "trick play" that Patriots royally screwed up LOL!

Yea..they won't be able to afford him.
frown.gif
He is looking at extra 10's of millions $$$$$$

I don't think Foles is going anywhere. He has another year on his contract, and the Eagles have enough room in their budget to keep him if they need to pay him more...

it would be very interesting to see the same teams play 2 or 3 times in a row, see who can adapt and adjust.
Hockey and baseball have much less strategy and set plays and they do the best of 7 games.

Surely you jest . You can do 3 playoff games in 3 successive days in other sports. You need a week to recover from injuries/aches/pains/etc in FB

Maybe condense it down to a game every 5 days? It was a good game and it would be interesting to see a rematch between those two teams. I'm sure most players would like to play best 2 out of 3, just to see which team is really better.

Maybe condense it down to a game every 5 days? It was a good game and it would be interesting to see a rematch between those two teams. I'm sure most players would like to play best 2 out of 3, just to see which team is really better.

I believe we found out which team is really better...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Great game but, worst 1/2 time show that I can remember. Ed

I thought it sucked too, as did everyone else I watched with said.

Thought a car company did a strange ad wrt cancer … I’m both a cancer patient and work for a company (and employee programs) that raises significant money for this cause - and was doing so decades before that company had a presence in the US … but I’d be loudly in thier face if it was ever part of TV advertising

Maybe condense it down to a game every 5 days?

The injury rates are disturbing for Thursday games. Unless some fundamental element of game play is changed; both in the rule book and the culture of those who play, once a week for a maximum of ~20 weeks is about all the toughest of the tough can handle.

Teams have a considerable halftime to assess and adjust their scheme in lieu of a "second kick at the can", so to speak.

Originally Posted By: grampi

I don't think Foles is going anywhere. He has another year on his contract, and the Eagles have enough room in their budget to keep him if they need to pay him more...

Yea..you are right. I thought this was his year. He is cheap insurance

The Super Bowl will never be a best of series. Unlike baseball where players stand around and scratch their crotch and spit for 7 boring games, football players are getting pounded every play. The Patriots and the GOAT, 5 and 3 in Super Bowls, will be back in the next year or so and the Eagles will be back in it in another 52 years or so.

Have you ever played college football or HS football?

I never understood why most NFL teams have such poor 2nd string QBs, perhaps the Eagles will wake up the rest of the league. After all it is the most important position on the team. I never got it! Additionally, never quite got why more older qbs didn't chill out to a second string role and extend their careers. Bring back George Blanda

I understood that PHI has some salary cap issues. A SuperBowl(tm)-winning QB can fetch a team some quality draft picks to mitigate the talent cycle.

Collingsworth had a point. There were quite a few plays similar to what happened in the regular season where the TD was overturned on what looked to be a silly interpretation of the rules, or the rules being silly themselves.

The football commissioner had come out not too long before the superbowl agreeing that the rules and or interpretations of those rules need to be changed. I think to a degree, the referees handled these calls just a little bit different than they did during the season.

That being said, the rules should be such that neither of those TD calls should be in question. The guy who caught the TD pass had two steps in bounds, it was the third step was the one on the line. On the catch and dive into the endzone the receiver or runner(it shouldn't really matter!) had possession of the ball as it crossed the line. If he dropped it after he crossed the line it should still be a TD IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Collingsworth had a point. There were quite a few plays similar to what happened in the regular season where the TD was overturned on what looked to be a silly interpretation of the rules, or the rules being silly themselves.

The football commissioner had come out not too long before the superbowl agreeing that the rules and or interpretations of those rules need to be changed. I think to a degree, the referees handled these calls just a little bit different than they did during the season.

That being said, the rules should be such that neither of those TD calls should be in question. The guy who caught the TD pass had two steps in bounds, it was the third step was the one on the line. On the catch and dive into the endzone the receiver or runner(it shouldn't really matter!) had possession of the ball as it crossed the line. If he dropped it after he crossed the line it should still be a TD IMO.

I think there are two rules in the NFL that need to be changed. The current rule of what is a catch in the endzone is beyond ridiculous. Basically, the receiver needs to hold onto the ball until the game's over or it's not a catch. The other stupid rule is when a player with the ball is about to run into the endzone for a touchdown, but just before he crosses the goal line, he fumbles the ball and it goes out the back of the endzone. This is considered a touchback and the ball goes to the other team, which is stupid. The ball should still belong to the team that fumbled it, and it should be placed at the spot of the fumble. If a player fumbles the ball out of bounds on the sidelines, it doesn't go to the other team, why should it when it's fumbled out the back of the endzone? Makes no sense...

the thing is....the NFL DID listen, they effectively changed the catch rule to allow those two tds, which we all basically agree they were indeed catches. The NFL, in season called The James catch, not a catch, the ertz catch, a catch.
Put 3 12 year olds, that play sandlot football, in a room and let them decide with a 60 sec clock. They will get 98.3% of them right.

of course finding 3 12 year olds that play sandlot anything will be hard enough

Last edited:
It should have been Philly and Pittsburgh in that game, with the Steelers taking Lombardi #7.

Maybe next year...

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
It should have been Philly and Pittsburgh in that game, with the Steelers taking Lombardi #7.

Maybe next year...

Give me a break...PIT couldn't even get past JAX...

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

I think there are two rules in the NFL that need to be changed. The current rule of what is a catch in the endzone is beyond ridiculous. Basically, the receiver needs to hold onto the ball until the game's over or it's not a catch. The other stupid rule is when a player with the ball is about to run into the endzone for a touchdown, but just before he crosses the goal line, he fumbles the ball and it goes out the back of the endzone. This is considered a touchback and the ball goes to the other team, which is stupid. The ball should still belong to the team that fumbled it, and it should be placed at the spot of the fumble. If a player fumbles the ball out of bounds on the sidelines, it doesn't go to the other team, why should it when it's fumbled out the back of the endzone? Makes no sense...

^ this, where grampi says "basically, ... . before, the rule stating that "the ground cannot cause a fumble", should have been left alone. no grey areas.i'm guessing that the recent stupid rules will be changed back.

at any rate, it was a good/entertaining game. congrats to the eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back