Going to an NBA game - any suggestions?

Tomorrow night, I'm taking my son and his friend to Atlanta to see the Hawks play the Orlando Magic. This is our first time going to an NBA game. To anyone who has been to State Farm Arena in Atlanta before or to any NBA game anywhere, any tips/suggestions for us? We're parking right across the street from the arena.

Get ready to watch no rule’s basketball in person. They don’t call traveling, carry overs, double dribbles, and two hand dribbling. The game is unwatchable for me these days.

Get ready to watch no rule’s basketball in person. They don’t call traveling, carry overs, double dribbles, and two hand dribbling. The game is unwatchable for me these days.
Yeah, I'm just hoping for a good show. I couldn't care less about basketball, but my son is a HUGE NBA fan. I'm looking forward to him getting to see some of the NBA guys he sees on TV in person.

Show up on full stomachs. Having to go for food during the game means you miss game time. And stadium food is usually expensive and sub par.
Correct, we go to a few Spurs games each year.

There is a steakhouse/bar that offers a ride to and from the game if you purchase a steak entree.

Beers inside are $14 so its nice to get a good meal and have a ride, in a school bus to the game.

Correct, we go to a few Spurs games each year.

There is a steakhouse/bar that offers a ride to and from the game if you purchase a steak entree.

Beers inside are $14 so its nice to get a good meal and have a ride, in a school bus to the game.

At most we'll get light snacks at the stadium, so food cost shouldn't be more than $250...🤣

..I'd be interested in hearing your post-game impressions of the product.
The game was fine, and my 17 year old son was thrilled by the whole experience, and his friend seemed to have a good time, too. Thinking on it, a few things come to mind:

Pros:
The game was fast paced, and there was something happening during all the breaks to keep the crowd's attention.
Pro basketball players are extremely talented. During warm-ups when shooting 3-pointers, they hardly miss any!
We saw Dominique Wilkins at the game.
At halftime, there was a guy who was competing for $10K if he could make a shot from half-court. He only had one shot and HE MADE IT! Good on him!! <IRS enters chat>
The crowd was well behaved. I didn't see any idiots doing idiot things.
The Hawks won 109-92! Dejounte Murray, who was playing in Trae Young's spot (injury), was one rebound away from a triple-double.
Traffic wasn't Atlanta bad.
I overpaid and pre-paid for parking before the game, so parking was easy and we were very close to the entrance.

Cons:
Some starting players from both teams were out last night with sickness or injury and one of Orlando's star players got hurt early and had to leave the game.
They play music during the entire game. I would think that would be distracting to the players but they didn't seem fazed.
As expected, all food and drink inside the stadium was very expensive. We ate 30 minutes before we got to the stadium and I told the boys they were on their own if they wanted food/drink once we were inside. They paid for their own snacks/drinks.
I've been to Atlanta a lot over the years but I don't know the area around the stadium at all. I hate driving in areas I'm unfamiliar with, but that's what Waze is for. Waze preferred that we take the scenic route out of town, which added a few minutes to the drive.
So much homelessness around the stadium. It hurts my heart for lots of reasons. Some I can relate to and many I can't.

All in all, we had a great time and may do it again next season, we'll see.

If you ever get a chance, buy a seat down low, say in the first ten to fifteen rows. You can really see how talented and fast those guys are at that distance.
I sat right behind the 76ers bench years ago when it was called Philips Arena still in Atlanta. Seeing Allen Iverson play up close was truly impressive. Dude was 5'10 at the most and the best on the court that night.

I sat right behind the 76ers bench years ago when it was called Philips Arena still in Atlanta. Seeing Allen Iverson play up close was truly impressive. Dude was 5'10 at the most and the best on the court that night.
Iverson was something special, sorry I never saw him play live.

Advice? Bring the best NRR ear plugs you have available. Seriously don’t go without at least foam ear plugs. I went to a NBA game with my son and a buddy and his son a few years ago - without ear protection. Didn’t know we would need it.

My dad had season tickets to the knicks back in the 70’s. Court side MSG three rows behind the bench. Only noise was the occasional organ romp to get the crowd excited. My dad and I talked to each other throughout the game.

My buddy and I expected it would be fun father/son bonding experience. It was so loud from pumped in music and artificial crowd noise throughout the game that talking to the person next to you was impossible unless you yelled at the top of your lungs. My ears actually hurt leaving the game. I have never been to another game since that miserable experience

@John Galt See my post-game report a few posts up. We had a great time! It wasn't nearly loud enough for earplugs at this game, since the arena was only about 2/3 full. A sold out playoff game would probably be a very different story.

My son and I decided to go to one more Hawks game this season. We're going back next weekend to watch the Hawks vs. Pelicans.

Back