Another reason why I gave up watching pro sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer sitting in my living room watching a game to being in a loud stadium ....the only negative this year is the constant TV panning to Taylor Swift....who probably didn’t know the difference between a football and a baseball a year ago.

I think it’s crazy how excited people get for the Super Bowl especially in person but either way. I’d pay maybe $30 tops to go to a football game but I generally win tickets from my work for the local college team. Same with basketball which I also win tickets for. I’d pay any amount to go to a Major League Baseball game though. Baseball is the only sport I can watch and enjoy. I don’t understand why there is never this much excitement over the World Series. We are going to another in person game this summer so I’m excited haven’t bought tickets. Last year we paid $48 a seat though. I enjoy it just as much on tv though but I’m trying to visit every MLB stadium which is why I’m going in person.

I think it’s crazy how excited people get for the Super Bowl especially in person but either way. I’d pay maybe $30 tops to go to a football game but I generally win tickets from my work for the local college team. Same with basketball which I also win tickets for. I’d pay any amount to go to a Major League Baseball game though. Baseball is the only sport I can watch and enjoy. I don’t understand why there is never this much excitement over the World Series. We are going to another in person game this summer so I’m excited haven’t bought tickets. Last year we paid $48 a seat though. I enjoy it just as much on tv though but I’m trying to visit every MLB stadium which is why I’m going in person.
Kinda think people don't pay attention to baseball because its a more sedentary sport. Not as much shock and awe as football/soccer or basketball. Not as much as say Pro Golf but still a bit sedentary. Seems the reason why most people like sports is due to the pure sensory rush that a stadium atmosphere and the general fanbase provides. However, there not really as much of an inherent rush in more sedentary sports.

I haven't watched pro sports in years. My dad always jokes "it's all fixed" whenever his teams don't win, but I'm starting to actually believe that more every day. I mean these athletes are the best of the best and get paid millions, yet some of the mistakes they make would embarrass a high school player. Same goes for the refs. There are millions of dollars bet on these games...

I haven't watched pro sports in years. My dad always jokes "it's all fixed" whenever his teams don't win, but I'm starting to actually believe that more every day. I mean these athletes are the best of the best and get paid millions, yet some of the mistakes they make would embarrass a high school player. Same goes for the refs. There are millions of dollars bet on these games...

My dad used to say that too, but it wasn't a joke. He's Italian and watches Italian soccer.

IMG_4974.jpeg

Last pro sports thing I went to was a NHL playoff game. The ticket was given to me. It said $370 on it. like 10th row behind visiting bench. It was a good time, but I would absolutely never pay 1/10th of that myself.

When my kids were like 7 and 9 they wanted to go to a baseball game. Couldn't figure out why. Looked at the price of a Braves game - its 5 hours away, closest team - not doing that. Drove over to a double A game in Savannah. Turns out they just wanted one of those giant foam fingers showing number 1. I think tickets were 6 bucks each. We bought foam hands and peanuts and hot dogs, had a great time, and left after the 7th inning stretch, kids were asleep when they hit the car.

I pretty much gave up on reg season, watch a little playoffs FB/baseball. Basketball is for sure fixed.

I really like soccer, but MLS can be stupid - EPL is OK, but don't want to pay to watch

I enjoy men's world cup and sometimes F1, but last season sucked.

Will be in HI this NFL SB, no TV and don't care a wit.

You can still get VIP seats pretty cheap for a Major League Table Tennis tournament! Only $90

When we lived in Edmonton we occasionally went to an NHL game. There were occasional very good games, but often it was just an evening out. At times both teams seemed to be going through the motions.

I took my entire staff to a Junior Hockey game for a bit of fun. Two well matched teams were playing at the same arena. I have to say that game was more entertaining than "the real thing". These young guys were playing very good hockey. The score was close and both teams seemed determined to win.

In my opinion we give far too much emphasis to the teams in the top leagues. A well played game between two matched teams is entertaining at any level.

That's going back more than few years but baseball used to be the last poor man's spectator sport left. Long gone. Whenever I could get a bus trip or someone's mom to take us to Baltimore's old Memorial stadium to see an Orioles game , I hopped on it. For the cheap wooden splinter actual bleacher seats, a kid's admission for an MLB game was $.35 This was about '60-'65. Years later I attended a lot of Phillie's games at Vet's stadium. Mid '70's to mid '80's. Centerfield field nose bleed seats were $2.50. Good reserved seats were about $8.00. Parking $5.

You can still get VIP seats pretty cheap for a Major League Table Tennis tournament! Only $90

ACL on ESPN 8..the ocho.

IMG_0353.jpeg

constant TV panning to Taylor Swift.
Constant?

As far as basketball and hocky goes, I'm a firm believer that the main camera shot they use (the general, back and forth / up and down the court or ice) is just like a hypnotist's watch.
Baseball and football seem more successful at breaking up the predictable rhythm of images -at least immediately post pitch and snap.

All of this is arguable.

Isn't everything today, corporate, or for the wealthy? In 2022, as we were in the parking lot of a concert, an older gentleman, likely my age :ROFLMAO:

said, hey, bro, what's the least amount you remember paying for parking? I said ok I think I'm right.....$10. He then says what about tickets? I said $18.50.

Today, $50 and maybe $130. That's why I was so so happy to have snuck in (how does one do that in the modern era) to the pit area where scalped tix were like $600. I made my way to about 12th row from the stage. Here's where I say, video to prove it, but that's so worthless is any show is all over YouTube lol

I have only seen one NHL game in the modern era, center ice, 100 section. This is because my wife's cousin worked for MLSE at the time, he got us those tix, and also for the Scotia Club.

All the other NHL games I've seen are through work and vendors. People say it basically costs nearly $1,000 an outing for a family of 4-5.

I've only seen 1 NBA game, 3 NFL games, and a bunch of MLB games.

Seen Stanley Cup Finals and WS only, not the other 2.

I think sometimes it's all a waste of our own personal time, but if I had to choose only 1, I'd choose ice hockey. Heck I even go to youth games. I wish we had college games which might be affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back