Milkshake Oil - Extreme short trips

These pictures are the oil and filter out of a 1998 Toyota Corolla. The car belongs to my daughter-in-law's mom and I've been remiss to not get her to bring it over earlier. I think the oil has been in there over a year now and she drives 1/4 mile to work and back with infrequent longer trips. Tonight we saw the oil was about a quart over full and milky due to water I assume. The antifreeze isn't low so I'm pretty sure it's just the fact the engine never gets to oil up to temperature to burn the water off. Although obviously very milky, we didn't see any "chunky" sludge or anything.

We changed the oil and filter. My question is how should I approach this going forward? The motor sounds OK on the new oil, not hearing any bearing noises anyway. Think a short change like 1000 miles and go from there? Thoughts?

IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

How many quarts is that? If it's a similar sized pan to the one I use with my much newer Corolla, are you sure you only had 4-ish quarts? If much more I'd also say given the color and amount I'd check other things (potentially coolant).

Also, did that milkshake bring all the...nevermind

There's no need for an oil analysis when it looks like that.
So if it's a head gasket, then that's antifreeze in the oil then right? But the coolant wasn't low, so how's that possible? (I have to be honest, I'll have to ask her if she was adding coolant, I can't say for sure about that) I do have the tester to check for combustion gas in the radiator so I can do that...

There's no need for an oil analysis when it looks like that.
I disagree that this milkyness wasn't caused by short tripping. I saw this in a Mercury Villager I owned a couple decades ago. Lots of short tripping in cold weather. The oil definitely had moisture whipped into a milky looking concoction. I posted a picture probably 20 years ago, but can't find it now. That was the first and last time I saw that much moisture in the oil.

How many quarts is that? If it's a similar sized pan to the one I use with my much newer Corolla, are you sure you only had 4-ish quarts? If much more I'd also say given the color and amount I'd check other things (potentially coolant).

Also, did that milkshake bring all the...nevermind
The engine took 4 1/2 quarts on refill with filter. I didn't measure how much came out but I hope there isn't a bunch still sitting in the pan as jelly!

So if it's a head gasket, then that's antifreeze in the oil then right? But the coolant wasn't low, so how's that possible? (I have to be honest, I'll have to ask her if she was adding coolant, I can't say for sure about that) I do have the tester to check for combustion gas in the radiator so I can do that...

Were you just looking in the reservoir or did you pull the radiator cap?

I'd watch the coolant level, personally. And if short tripped like that (where do you live? Cold winters?) change it much more often than once per year (6 months?)

Did she or someone add something by accident? Fuel dilution? I've seen fuel dilution like that in old carbed cars. I would ask about the coolant adding and if she says no it's probably just a year of fuel dilution and moisture.

I'd watch the coolant level, personally. And if short tripped like that (where do you live? Cold winters?) change it much more often than once per year (6 months?)

Did she or someone add something by accident? Fuel dilution? I've seen fuel dilution like that in old carbed cars. I would ask about the coolant adding and if she says no it's probably just a year of fuel dilution and moisture.
Maybe I will send a sample in for an oil analysis. I kept it separate from my normal oil recycle jug since I'm not sure they will want it. Would be interesting to see what it shows!

I disagree that this milkyness wasn't caused by short tripping. I saw this in a Mercury Villager I owned a couple decades ago. Lots of short tripping in cold weather. The oil definitely had moisture whipped into a milky looking concoction. I posted a picture probably 20 years ago, but can't find it now. That was the first and last time I saw that much moisture in the oil.
Having lived in the Upper Midwest, yes, I've seen fuel dilution/short tripped oil look like this. Decades ago. Wasn't quite that diluted, but I drained about 6 quarts of gas, oil, moisture in a car that we supposed to have 4 quarts of oil.

Check the radiator for weird colors and smells, same with coolant overflow tank, and I'd just keep an eye if she says she never added coolant and nobody else would've added. And change that oil if it literally drives half mile per day more than once per year!!!

If you live near, smell the dipstick in a couple weeks of driving. See if it smells strongly of gas, too.

Maybe I will send a sample in for an oil analysis. I kept it separate from my normal oil recycle jug since I'm not sure they will want it. Would be interesting to see what it shows!
Does she know how to check fluid levels? If not I'd hesitate to not check everything over in the cooling system before handing it back. Will she keep a watchful eye on the temp gauge? If not, again, might be best to check it before she possibly ruins it worse if it's major engine issues.

If it's a1998 and she can afford a new car if needed, then keep a watchful eye. If it's her only transportation and doesn't have money for a new or used car, might be best to get everything checked over for where the coolant or fuel or whatever is coming from.

Any check engine lights?

Does she know how to check fluid levels? If not I'd hesitate to not check everything over in the cooling system before handing it back. Will she keep a watchful eye on the temp gauge? If not, again, might be best to check it before she possibly ruins it worse if it's major engine issues.

If it's a1998 and she can afford a new car if needed, then keep a watchful eye. If it's her only transportation and doesn't have money for a new or used car, might be best to get everything checked over for where the coolant or fuel or whatever is coming from.

Any check engine lights?
No check engine lights. The car has 127k miles on it and seems to run pretty well. The antifreeze was full but did look like it needed to be changed.

Do you think that having the oil in this condition likely did any damage to the motor?

Back