Milkshake Oil - Extreme short trips

What kind of container? Can you estimate if it's about the correct amount (4-ish quarts)?
I have it in my second oil recycle 5 gal plastic jug. Yeah, it looks like about 4 or so quarts came out. Like I said earlier, it looked to be about a quart high on the dipstick.

No check engine lights. The car has 127k miles on it and seems to run pretty well. The antifreeze was full but did look like it needed to be changed.

Do you think that having the oil in this condition likely did any damage to the motor?
Depends what the cause is. I mean, I'm sure in general it's worse than oil that doesn't look like that. I'm very much a "slap some oil in and go" personality, but I'm anal about checking my cars over. I just don't worry about the petty stuff like so many people on these forums. But even I'd want to know what's in that oil with an analysis.

I definitely wouldn't let it get that bad too often/ever again. You or she or someone need to be changing it much more frequently if you find out it's just cold short tripping causing it

I have it in my second oil recycle 5 gal plastic jug. Yeah, it looks like about 4 or so quarts came out. Like I said earlier, it looked to be about a quart high on the dipstick.
Missed that reply. If a quart over full on the old milky stuff, I'd be more concerned, personally, it might be more than super short trips causing it.

I have no idea her or your financial situation but I'd want to get it checked over by someone I trusted if it's a car she needs or you don't want to do more damage to if she's not keen on checking things daily and knowing what to look out for. If it's a car she just keeps driving knowing it's 25 years old and might die randomly and doesn't care, then that's another side.

But that's a risk calculation you or she will have to decide on. What has the most value to you in terms of how you monitor the situation.

If it's running well now with fresh oil, then I'd keep an eye on it every two weeks for more milkshake in the oil and wait and see. It's a 1998 so it's propably not worth fixing if it's a head gasket? I wouldn't plan any long trips with it at this point but short trips arn't going to leave you stranded.

I had a oil catch can on my F150 that I ended up removing, because in winter it would be full of water (as in a block of ice) after one week. Maybe replace her PCV valve as it may not be getting the water condensation out of the block.

These pictures are the oil and filter out of a 1998 Toyota Corolla. The car belongs to my daughter-in-law's mom and I've been remiss to not get her to bring it over earlier. I think the oil has been in there over a year now and she drives 1/4 mile to work and back with infrequent longer trips. Tonight we saw the oil was about a quart over full and milky due to water I assume. The antifreeze isn't low so I'm pretty sure it's just the fact the engine never gets to oil up to temperature to burn the water off. Although obviously very milky, we didn't see any "chunky" sludge or anything.

We changed the oil and filter. My question is how should I approach this going forward? The motor sounds OK on the new oil, not hearing any bearing noises anyway. Think a short change like 1000 miles and go from there? Thoughts?

I think this is a good approach. Ideally the vehicle should be driven at least once a week for 30 min to help burn off containments. I’ve seen other cases like this. Might be worth flushing at the next change to help with any slugging. I personally prefer Liqui Moly’s products. Amazon has them if interested.

Why are they even driving? Be quicker to walk then scrape the windshield and wait for some heat.

I drive ~1.5 miles from camp to work.
I'd walk but it's currently -40*. -65* with the wind. And in summer it's dust, fleets of 🦟 and bears.

You got problems. I would not run the engine in that condition. That is way too much for an engine which is short trip used. I would expect some milky oil under the fill cap but nothing like that. Cracked block or bad head gasket suspected. You could get an analysis just to confirm.

So if it's a head gasket, then that's antifreeze in the oil then right? But the coolant wasn't low, so how's that possible? (I have to be honest, I'll have to ask her if she was adding coolant, I can't say for sure about that) I do have the tester to check for combustion gas in the radiator so I can do that...
That could certainly be from short tripping, but I would pressure test the cooling system to rule out a head gasket. It's easy enough to do.

These pictures are the oil and filter out of a 1998 Toyota Corolla. The car belongs to my daughter-in-law's mom and I've been remiss to not get her to bring it over earlier. I think the oil has been in there over a year now and she drives 1/4 mile to work and back with infrequent longer trips. Tonight we saw the oil was about a quart over full and milky due to water I assume. The antifreeze isn't low so I'm pretty sure it's just the fact the engine never gets to oil up to temperature to burn the water off. Although obviously very milky, we didn't see any "chunky" sludge or anything.

We changed the oil and filter. My question is how should I approach this going forward? The motor sounds OK on the new oil, not hearing any bearing noises anyway. Think a short change like 1000 miles and go from there? Thoughts?

View attachment 207612View attachment 207613
I do similar driving....very short drive to work.....
My oil never looks like this.......

Looks like a head gasket or ceratec.....

That could certainly be from short tripping, but I would pressure test the cooling system to rule out a head gasket. It's easy enough to do.
This is a good place to start and I'd suggest getting the free loaner PowerBuilt test kit from Autozone, if available. It requires a refundable $250 deposit but contains numerous radiator cap adapters not found in other radiator pressure test kits.

1710077088552.jpg

I'd be extremely concerned about the excessive liquid volume drained out of the oil pan, especially since the 1998 Corolla has the 1ZZ-FE 3 motor that is notorious for oil consumption. They have been known to consume 1 qt. of oil in 1000 miles of driving.

Last edited:
Do you think that having the oil in this condition likely did any damage to the motor?
Maybe maybe not, it depends on how long this has been going on, but given enough time it will. Oil mixed with that much water is not a good lubricant.

No amount of short tripping will ever do that. You need a new headgasket, thankfully it's not hard too do it on that engine.

BMWTurboDzl makes a good point. Someone else or just her could've done that accidentally. My wife once tried to pour washer fluid in the suv at the walmart parking lot and almost poured it into the engine fill but decided not to because she wasn't sure where to put it and told me in the evening.

Think a short change like 1000 miles and go from there? Thoughts?
Change the oil with fresh oil, a new filter, then get a head gasket tester kit, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Maplefield-Head-Gasket-Tester-Color-Changing/dp/B0C7LN8C2X

Here is how you do the test:

My apologies for the YT short, however she does a very good job explaining in a very short amount of time.

If it passes the test, run your vehicle for 500 miles (no short tripping or running with the engine cold if possible). Then take a sample and send it to Polaris or WearCheck. If the wear metals spike into the triple digits then you have a problem.

I wouldn't panic, just take the scientific approach, one step at a time.

View attachment 207612View attachment 207613

Mechanical issue or coolant intrusion. Milky mayo under cap is from moisture short trips. What you posted isnt short trips/comdemsation. Cars engine needs diagnosis and more info and thorough diagnosis.

That’s my 2 cents. That oil looking like that is not doing that engine any favors either.

Looks like a Caramel Milkshake to me. Change the recipe to Dark Fudge and your engine oil color will resemble normal color.
Something needs replacement - either head gasket or intake. I hope a repair takes place and continue with good engine heath

Coolant in the oil isn't something that can be ignored. It destroys the oil's film strength and pretty soon you have worn out crank and rod journals.

Back