Honda recalls nearly 250K vehicles because rod bearing can fail.

Honda says in documents posted Friday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that connecting rod bearings in the engine can wear and seize due to a manufacturing error, damaging the engines. The engines could run improperly or stall while being driven, increasing the risk of a fire, crash or injury.
The automaker says in documents that it has 1,450 warranty claims due to the problem but no reports of injuries.”

Sounds like the Subaru incident, bad metallurgy in the bearing caused tons of STI/WRXs and subsequently lower power Forester & Outback XT's to fail.

It's interesting how this is framed as a safety issue for Honda but wasn't for BMW with the M S65 and S85 engines. I guess NHTSA doesn't care if your engines spin bearings until you voluntarily recall them? Makes you wonder how almost every Kia engine (other than the Tau) avoids recall if simply failing all the time at alarming rates is the criteria.

Thank you for posting this, I was unaware of this. Although I do have a 2015 Honda pilot.

It's interesting how this is framed as a safety issue for Honda but wasn't for BMW with the M S65 and S85 engines
Can't have Acuras seizing up, that would tarnish a reputation...granted this also includes Honda models.

Kinda like the unspoken transmission issues with Honda back when..early 2000's? How many Odyssey's had these failures?

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
Back