Subaru CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following Subaru's CVT since 2011 and participate in a few Subaru boards. I have yet to read of a Subaru CVT failure other than what has been brought up with minimal substantiation here.

I certainly don't think Subaru is the perfect vehicle. They've got good points and bad, just like anything else.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I believe Subaru purchases theirs while Honda's is an in-house design.

Subaru has been developing their CVT for years (aka the late 80s) but was mostly for the JDM Kei market. Fuji (Subaru's parent company now name Subaru) is the original makers.

Most automakers are keeping CVTs internal as of now. The only "outside" maker is JATCO controlled by Nissan but selling to GM, Mitzu (Now Nissan) and FCA.

I have read that the Subaru CVT is made specifically for Subaru/Fuji Heavy by Jatco. Tough to find hard data in regards to that though.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I have yet to read of a Subaru CVT failure other than what has been brought up with minimal substantiation here.

The 2015 Outback I mentioned earlier is my friend's wife's daily driver, bought new and dealer maintained in central Alabama. The car is a daily commuter in an area with heavy traffic, but no offroading or towing ever. Apparently the failure was sudden, as in the car quit working one day and went to the dealer that day. The car isn't abused though and has a clean history, it was just luck of the draw. My friend doesn't remember getting any kind of notice about a warranty extension, but they have moved since buying the car, and he doesn't pay much attention to it since his wife handles her own car stuff for the most part, so who knows.

They like the car still, plan to keep it, and they haven't mentioned any problems with it other than the transmission failure. It is a nice car.

Probably as with many other transmissions, there are good ones and bad ones. GM 4L60Es have a life expectancy of anywhere from 40K-400K miles.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
My points of reference are a 2017 XV Crosstrek and 2015 Accord Sport. Honda and Subaru have the best CVTs currently available by all accounts.

The earlier Honda CVTs did rubberband quite a bit - but they were also in smaller cars, the Insight, Civic Hybrid and CR-Z.

I drove a 2015 Accord Sport and a 2016 Civic LX, both had the CVT. Much better than the 1st generation design, there was almost no rubberbanding unless you really put your foot in it.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
IMHO, manufacturers do not arbitrarily increase warranties (especially past the "golden" 60k) when they know their engineering is not up to snuff.

Your humble opinion needs updating. Yes, yes they do. Nothing arbitrary about it, either, it's a knee jerk response to an extremely unreliable subassembly. They have to maintain their reputation...

And then other times there are class action lawsuits, like on my Sonata.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I have read that the Subaru CVT is made specifically for Subaru/Fuji Heavy by Jatco. Tough to find hard data in regards to that though.

If made by a 3rd party it would have to be made specifically for, and usable only in, Subaru's though, due to the unique layout of the Subaru powertrain. It is specifically designed as an integral part of their signature "symetrical AWD" and made for a longitudinally mounted engine. Sister in law has a 2016 Forester and the CVT's operation is absolutely flawless. The Forester even impressed my brother who is pretty much a die hard Ford guy, Ford trucks in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back