Quick Thoughts: 2023 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited

So, while our 2019 Outback is at the dealer getting the engine pulled out to be re-sealed due to oil leaks, they gave me this 2023 Subaru Outback as a loaner. Just some quick thoughts on what I think of it. For those who don't want to read through such, the TL;DR is I don't like it...

It has the same 2.5 boxer 4 and CVT that the '19 has and I'm not sure if it's the added weight, or programming, but it feels like an absolute dog. The '19 doesn't feel near as slow as this one. The CVT is smooth though and I don't really mind it. The different ratios seems to keep it where it needs to be. But if you need to pass somebody, you better have a pretty clear shot!

The auto start/stop is horrible! I've driven a couple different vehicles with it and they were implemented well and you barely noticed it. Not this thing. Shutdown is shaky and abrupt. Start-up is also shaky and abrupt. There is no smoothness to it at all. I kept it turned off.

Ride was mostly smooth and expected, like the '19, just not as clunky having only 10K miles. Didn't really push it too much as it's not my vehicle.

Interior was nice and the fit and finish was above average I feel. Being a limited it has the "leather" and was a little stiff on the behind (heh). The seating position was better than the '19. My right foot would get tired and numb driving the '19, but not this one. Still roomy like all the other Outbacks. The interior was the only saving grace on this thing I think.

The infotainment system is absolutely horrible! It's also where you change the HVAC settings and vehicles settings. The center dash is basically a big screen. Selections are hard to navigate and just changing something for the HVAC requires more time looking away from driving than needed. This limited is touted as having the Harmon Kardon system and it doesn't sound really great. The mid level radio in my Tacoma sounds far better then the "premium" audio in this.

Overall I feel they downgraded this generation Outback. It looks nice, but the execution of everything felt rushed and not planned out near as well. If I were in the market for a new AWD Wagon this will NOT be on the list.

1Ixav20.jpg

AlrZx51.jpg

Yf37kJy.jpg

I really wanted to like this new generation Outback. The UOAs here have told me "stay away." I'm in the codger camp of DI is not the future I wanted. Car companies need to invest and do Port and DI like Toyota and a few others have done. Subaru has done it too, but with the car prices so high it shouldn't have been much more added cost.

Too bad!
Sometimes car companies move backward just to move forward again and call it "Improved". Maybe wait for the next generation yet again.

I really wanted to like this new generation Outback. The UOAs here have told me "stay away." I'm in the codger camp of DI is not the future I wanted. Car companies need to invest and do Port and DI like Toyota and a few others have done. Subaru has done it too, but with the car prices so high it shouldn't have been much more added cost.

I was really excited to drive it to be severely disappointed and frustrated just trying to change the position of the heating output to the floor... :oops:

I really like the look of these and kind-of shortlisted one for my next car (although that's 4 years away). I've had 3/4 pot diesels as daily drivers since I passed my driving test 13 years ago and fancied either a big 6 cylinder diesel or a boxer next.

It should be well broken in so it should perform the same, I have no idea why it wouldn't other than maybe the fuel.

Yea, and it's supposed to have a little more power than the 2019. Felt like it would hardly get out of its own way...

Yea, and it's supposed to have a little more power than the 2019. Felt like it would hardly get out of its own way...

Is there much of a weight difference? Or is it programmed to feel more grown-up? No recent emissions rules changes in the US?

Maybe someones put some M1 15w50 in it :ROFLMAO:

Good review.

I've read probably thousands of reviews, mostly in the auto magazines over the years and they uniformly seem to focus on the same things. The latest tchotchkes or technical complexities which make the car more expensive to buy, harder to fix and give them a predictable staleness as they age. Maybe only a few way back like the VW beetle were advertised to promote their freedom from unnecessary evolution as a virtue. Remember, 'It floats' or 'it's light so you can push it if you need to' or 'no cooling system to leak'?

Could anybody build and market a car that way today?
1698757318914.jpg

The Big Ad

I wonder if they dialed back the aggressive throttle pedal? I assume your 19 has that too? It does kind of trick you, when I get into another car sometimes it feels like it has less power since I need to move the gas pedal more to get similar acceleration.
I've only driven the latest generation of Legacy and a base model, so the centre consul actually had some HVAC buttons, but I did find the start stop a little intrusive as well, but no complaints on power with it, but I just drove in the city.
Personally I think a 18/19 are the years to get for an Outback, and I imagine the next Outback will go back to some physical HVAC controls.

I wonder if they dialed back the aggressive throttle pedal? I assume your 19 has that too? It does kind of trick you, when I get into another car sometimes it feels like it has less power since I need to move the gas pedal more to get similar acceleration.
I've only driven the latest generation of Legacy and a base model, so the centre consul actually had some HVAC buttons, but I did find the start stop a little intrusive as well, but no complaints on power with it, but I just drove in the city.
Personally I think a 18/19 are the years to get for an Outback, and I imagine the next Outback will go back to some physical HVAC controls.

Well besides mine needing the engine pulled at 67,000 miles for an engine re-seal... :ROFLMAO:

Ok, that's not really funny, well yes, but actually no...

Well besides mine needing the engine pulled at 67,000 miles for an engine re-seal... :ROFLMAO:

Ok, that's not really funny, well yes, but actually no...
Yeah, it wouldn't be funny if not covered under warranty. Would you have got it fixed if it wasn't? I don't think I would've unless it got more severe. I do see on the Outback forums that a few have this problem, but not everyone.

Yeah, it wouldn't be funny if not covered under warranty. Would you have got it fixed if it wasn't? I don't think I would've unless it got more severe. I do see on the Outback forums that a few have this problem, but not everyone.

It would probably be shipped out the door for a new Toyota. After the warranty is up I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do anyways. Thing is great in the snow, but future repair cost look grim. A CVT replacement can be very costly and I know that is bound to pop up. I've seen people go 250K+ with no issues, but it looks like my luck is not with this vehicle.

It would probably be shipped out the door for a new Toyota. After the warranty is up I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do anyways. Thing is great in the snow, but future repair cost look grim. A CVT replacement can be very costly and I know that is bound to pop up. I've seen people go 250K+ with no issues, but it looks like my luck is not with this vehicle.
I guess our plan is to run it until its done, so we'll see. I'm not really budgeting for a transmission as it seems failure is pretty rare and we are doing regular fluid changes... Right now a used trans is $1600 up here, so not terrible, but I'll have to watch prices to see how they go over time.

Too bad!
Sometimes car companies move backward just to move forward again and call it "Improved". Maybe wait for the next generation yet again.
2024 should be the last model year of Gen 6 (2020-2024). We'll see what happens. I really wanted to like this generation of the Outback, but there's enough reported on the Outback owner forums that gives me pause.

Back