2015ish Nissan Sentra - things to watch for?

A friend from church, recently widowed, has asked me if I would check out a used car she's thinking of buying.

It's a Nissan Sentra, I think 2015, and likely automatic (CVT). It's owned by an elderly lady who is no longer driving, and is being sold by her daughter.

The car is not registered, and can't be driven yet, so my inspection will not be very complete.

If I think it's worth pursuing, either the owner or the prospective buyer will have to get a temporary permit to drive it to a trusted shop for a complete purchase inspection.

Anyway, I plan to look for rust and bodywork, tire wear, and condition of brake rotors and fluids, to try to rule it out immediately or not.

Besides the dreaded JATCO CVT, is there anything else to watch for? Is the CVT so bad that this car should be avoided at any cost?

I’ve not heard of Nissan/jatco problems in the newer ones - I think they’ve gotten better. 2015 should be ok there. Depending on the mileage, it would be nice to see a fluid change, but realistically she probably didn’t do it, and if that may be just fine if she’s older and wasn’t laying rubber in it. Given the drivers age, I might not worry as much about the fluid history, but would do 2-3 drain/fills myself after purchasing.

Nothing concerns me about it. Change the CVT fluid and drive with joy. I bet it was babied anyway, which is the 2nd key to CVT longevity.

I believe those CVTs live long and healthy lives in smaller cars, and when driven gently. It’s when they’re in heavy SUVs, and driven aggressively they die young.

That and of course servicing. If it has been serviced, it would probably be a decent car.

More info - our friend has backed off from buying the car for now, so I didn't look at it Saturday as originally planned.

I think she is considering it again.

It's a 2008 with 101K km (63K miles) on it. No rust, but only a set of all-season tires. (Winter tires are preferred here, so that would add c. C$1000 to the effective price.)

The seller plans to ask C$6000.

I had hoped, given the age of the car, that it would have a conventional AT, but apparently the CVT was used even then.

The price is good (for this market) if the car is in good shape.

Back