Subaru Branded Oil Filters at Walmart? Hmmmm MP7317?

Originally Subaru said it was because of supply issues but it has been about a year and they're still using the new style ones made by Champ. So maybe they just decided to go a different direction. I don't know if that has even been explained by them and probably won't be.
Could still be supply chain I work in a industry that still deals with it daily.

So the previous USA Subaru blue filters with the logo on the body were made by Fram and the current ones are made by Champ.

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback which is a terrible idea for a filter mounted upside down. 🤦🏻‍♂️ it will be a dry cold start every morning. 🫣😬😟
I can guarantee you that Subaru does not use a nitrate adbv. It would be it's last cold start.

What if it’s literally a cheap knock off, maybe even counterfeit and being sold by a 3rd party and nobody even knows (or cares) at ChinaMart?

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback which is a terrible idea for a filter mounted upside down. 🤦🏻‍♂️ it will be a dry cold start every morning. 🫣😬😟
You cracked the code, big Dawg. Now we know why Subaru always blow up.

Seems ridiculous to be more expensive then the ST filter yet obviously be inferior with the nitrate anti-drainback which is a terrible idea for a filter mounted upside down.
It should be more expensive. You know how difficult it is to make adbv out of explosives???.....and it's a terrible idea for any filter.

And before yall get all technical, I know nitrate is used in fertilizer also. It was funny.

I'd have to see a burn test to verify if that black ADBV is actually silicone. Very rare to see black silicone ADBVs.
You do you. If the smoke is white when you burn it, it's silicone.....if not....that one's on you.

So burn one of those black Subaru ADBVs and see what ya get. My bet is a lot of black smoke, which would indicate nitrile.
Oh, I know about the burn test , I just don't have a Subaru filter to cut open and burn. 7317 tg/xg and pg select 7055s for me and the fams 4 Subarus.

Matter of fact, after learning from Artem what the Subaru oil filter abdv is made of, I'm never touching one of them hoes ever.

I hope our ‘22 doesn’t! 😬
Man, I don't know. It just might have one of them Subaru filters with the NITRATE adbv.

Good car to lend out to a side chick or a mistress. Plausible deniability. Wife and feds won't ever suspect you.

I saw the boxed “Subaru“ oil filter today at Wally’s. Opened the box, and inside was a shrinkwrapped blue 15208aa150 filter looking all normal and genuine. Since I need a “…12a” filter, I closed the box back up and didn’t bother to notice the price. Next stop was the local dealer. I had called ahead and asked about the 15208aa12a filter…”oh yeah, we have plenty of those, but we’ll put your name on one if you’re coming in.” When I arrived, they said they placed it back since I was much later than anticipated, getting there just a bit before they closed. So they went back and brought out one of the new “generic“ blue filters…not shrink wrapped. Meanwhile, there was a classic shrink-wrapped blue filter on the counter where things were accumulating to be picked up. I asked if that one was ”mine,” they said no. But after I told them I didn’t want the unwrapped one (no wrap, no box, no markings), and asked if I could buy the classic one on the counter instead, they agreed. Leaving with my “genuine“ (Fram) 15208aa12a, I asked myself: why did I make such a fuss over a glorified Fram paper-end-capped filter. Hmmmph.

I will say, the generic one had the appropriate rounded “o-ring” like gasket, but a plastic inner cage, and a black ADBV. Who knows, might have been better than the blue Fram. reminded me of the FarSide cartoon with two doors: labeled “****ed if you do,“ & “****ed if you don’t” and the devil saying come’on, come’on, it’s either one or the other.

Back