MicroGard MGL57712 product source change

I wonder what the difference between the Vietnam made Microguard/Select and the Made in China STP/XL would be considering made by the same company.

I wonder what the difference between the Vietnam made Microguard/Select and the Made in China STP/XL would be considering made by the same company.

Aren't the STP XL's made in USA currently??.. They are always flipping around suppliers but I have seen several recently that were First Brands.

Good question. I am bit confused as I didn't think there was any relation to the STP lineup. I thought the Vietnamese "Microgard" was strictly an O'Reilly's filter.
Maybe I'm wrong. I thought the "Select" line was only made in Vietnam nowhere else. ??

Aren't the STP XL's made in USA currently??.. They are always flipping around suppliers but I have seen several recently that were First Brands.
The one for the OP's vehicle that STP XL is made in China. They are both made by Premium guard. I know the ones for my Jeep the STP regular is 11665 is made in Korea (made by First Brands I believe) and the 11665XL is made in China by Premium Guard

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree it seems to come down to model/application and how popular a filter is, they would choose to only make the most popular filters.

The STP XL oil filter for my truck is USA made by Champ Labs. I swung by Autozone earlier today b/c I was curious what it was. Looks exactly the same as what a Fram Tough Guard (Old 10k version) has been for my truck. Included a silicon O-ring.

IMG_20230905_131139.jpg

IMG_20230905_131136.jpg

IMG_20230905_131119.jpg

The STP XL oil filter for my truck is USA made by Champ Labs. I swung by Autozone earlier today b/c I was curious what it was. Looks exactly the same as what a Fram Tough Guard (Old 10k version) has been for my truck. Included a silicon O-ring.

$9.99 ??

Back