Subaru Branded Oil Filters at Walmart? Hmmmm MP7317?

I was at Walmart today and saw a Subaru oil filter on the shelf for the first time. I opened it up and said hmmm this looks very familiar! I pulled a SuperTech MP7317 off the shelf and compared them. I knew it! šŸ˜‚ Cā€™mon now Subaru! We can get the better ST MP for almost 1/2 the price!!
View attachment 169559View attachment 169560View attachment 169561View attachment 169562
I just had the exact same experience with a ST and AC Delco filter comparison last week.

I saw the boxed ā€œSubaruā€œ oil filter today at Wallyā€™s. Opened the box, and inside was a shrinkwrapped blue 15208aa150 filter looking all normal and genuine. Since I need a ā€œā€¦12aā€ filter, I closed the box back up and didnā€™t bother to notice the price. Next stop was the local dealer. I had called ahead and asked about the 15208aa12a filterā€¦ā€oh yeah, we have plenty of those, but weā€™ll put your name on one if youā€™re coming in.ā€ When I arrived, they said they placed it back since I was much later than anticipated, getting there just a bit before they closed. So they went back and brought out one of the new ā€œgenericā€œ blue filtersā€¦not shrink wrapped. Meanwhile, there was a classic shrink-wrapped blue filter on the counter where things were accumulating to be picked up. I asked if that one was ā€mine,ā€ they said no. But after I told them I didnā€™t want the unwrapped one (no wrap, no box, no markings), and asked if I could buy the classic one on the counter instead, they agreed. Leaving with my ā€œgenuineā€œ (Fram) 15208aa12a, I asked myself: why did I make such a fuss over a glorified Fram paper-end-capped filter. Hmmmph.

I will say, the generic one had the appropriate rounded ā€œo-ringā€ like gasket, but a plastic inner cage, and a black ADBV. Who knows, might have been better than the blue Fram. reminded me of the FarSide cartoon with two doors: labeled ā€œ****ed if you do,ā€œ & ā€œ****ed if you donā€™tā€ and the devil saying comeā€™on, comeā€™on, itā€™s either one or the other.
Good Morning Impatient,

I really liked your story. The oil filter industry can play games with us that makes our ability to shop challenging. To make my shopping easy I've invoked a "no specs no sale" policy. If the efficiency, micron level, mileage life, anti drain back material information is not easily attainable, (best is on the point of sale packaging) I move on!

Oh, I know about the burn test , I just don't have a Subaru filter to cut open and burn. 7317 tg/xg and pg select 7055s for me and the fams 4 Subarus.

Matter of fact, after learning from Artem what the Subaru oil filter abdv is made of, I'm never touching one of them hoes ever.
I have serviced Subaru and Honda at my home, and The Similar Honda Fram service part has a Silicone rubber adbv and subaru employs a nitrile adbv. I recently saw Subaru is going back to the Tokyo Roki for a service part - a superior filter. BTW, I am currently running a ST MP 7317 filter and its is working well afa cold-start racket and hot racket. Yes, I know, there should be no hot racket issue, that's the oil and engine, but tell it to the last Fram ultra v2.0 that was on there. - Ken

the Honda Fram service part with Si rubber adbv

honda a02.jpg

Thanks Bella. I failed to mention, the paper book at Wallyā€™s showing filter recommendations for the Subaru showed Fram xx6607ā€¦no distinction for Turbo vs non-Turbo, but with an asteriskā€¦XG- or TG-9517 if previously indicated (or something like that???). IIRC I think the -9517 had a more correct bypass pressure. Too bad, no TGā€™s and no XG 9517 On the shelf. And what really would have got my money would have been an UG9517 (or whatever Ultra prefix is), but I donā€™t think there is such a thing. and now I wish I had looked for the Supertech cross-reference. Perhaps it is the MP 7317.

One other point: donā€™t quote me, but I think the Wix (& Napa) filters I have used in the past were actually even smaller diameter, and my wrench cap didnā€™t fit. If I keep this car (now at 150k), iā€™ll look into a Mazda filter or some other way to get a Tokyo Roki.

the other disappointments of the day were they were out of Castrol Euro 0w40 (I thought I saw that in a different Walmart recently, but maybe not, supposedly sold out now), and the one Advance Auto that had the Euro 0w30 wouldnā€™t offer a ā€œbundleā€ of 5 qts and filter for $40ā€¦refusing to budge off their $12/qt price. Heh, another brain quirk since I have been willing to buy Amsoil and the wonderful Valvoline Premiun blue Restore ($75/gal) in the past for my van.

Vid shows Subaru filter changes. The one sold currently at WM looks to be same as shown in the vid, made by Champ Labs. My speculation is the black adbv in the Suby, nitrile as opposed to silicone in the Super Tech MP.

I sure hope they donā€™t use them paper end caps šŸ˜¬
The Old Subaru Blue fram had paperboard endcaps = which is a good design.

As stated earlier in the thread by @ZeeOSix Fram and ST belong to the same parent company, it It is easy to see that the ST utilize a Fram base with an ST E-core - arguably the worst of both worlds.

If you go to a Subaru parts window you will get the new, unmarked First Brands filter as a service part - just like the OP saw at Walmart. It has a nitrile adbv. No need to burn it - it's nitrile.

Give me an old STP style Champ with non-ecore and quality media for around five bucks and I would bea happy BITOGer. Give me a Tokyo Roki for seven bucks and I would be even happier, lol.
The most problem free filters I have ever used. - Ken

Last edited:
While Fram and Champ Labs are currently owned by First Brands, their construction differences are still identifiable.

The current Champ made Subaru and Super Tech does not use a "Fram base" plate. In this size filter, Fram uses an unbeveled protruding thread boss outlet with fiber endcaps element. That's the same as Fram made Honda filters shown above, minus Hondas silicone adbv.

Otoh, the current topic Champ Labs made no label Subaru filter uses a beveled thread boss outlet, and different inlet holes. On the inside it's ecore, with metal (not fiber) caps on MP and most ST. That the same as it's been for a while now. So, the OP's comparison of the no label Subaru to Super Tech MP a good one. ACDelco also very similar.

Lastly, based on my observation the Super Tech MP series comments, afaik most think it to be a decent purchase option for a filter. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

While Fram and Champ Labs are currently owned by First Brands, their construction differences are still identifiable.

The current Champ made Subaru and Super Tech does not use a "Fram base" plate. In this size filter, Fram uses an unbeveled protruding thread boss outlet with fiber endcaps element. ...
Good observation. I see the inlet punching " very similar" to Fram design - but quite different from Champs of yore, where there were often (erroneous) complaints of 'not enough inlet area'.

But the traditional Champ design had a nice clean land circumference for a good and reliable ADBV flapper seal - and adequate inlet area. I wonder what influenced the redesign of the baseplate? Form factor? Increased unit area to easily open a cold nitrile ADBV ?

A traditional Champion Labs baseplate -

stp2.jpg

I have serviced Subaru and Honda at my home, and The Similar Honda Fram service part has a Silicone rubber adbv and subaru employs a nitrile adbv. I recently saw Subaru is going back to the Tokyo Roki for a service part - a superior filter. BTW, I am currently running a ST MP 7317 filter and its is working well afa cold-start racket and hot racket. Yes, I know, there should be no hot racket issue, that's the oil and engine, but tell it to the last Fram ultra v2.0 that was on there. - Ken

the Honda Fram service part with Si rubber adbv

View attachment 175847
If it works for you, use it. I was just jabbing at the NITRATE adbv comment someone made.

I was at Walmart today and saw a Subaru oil filter on the shelf for the first time. I opened it up and said hmmm this looks very familiar! I pulled a SuperTech MP7317 off the shelf and compared them. I knew it! šŸ˜‚ Cā€™mon now Subaru! We can get the better ST MP for almost 1/2 the price!!
View attachment 169559View attachment 169560View attachment 169561View attachment 169562
Just did the same. Thought I'd be in an out of Wally World quickly and then all these options were on the shelf. I, too, went with the ST MP for a Subaru. And then snagged a Fram cheapo for the Corolla. Wasn't sure if the ST cheapos had silicon ADBV... Tried to Google but cell signal was sketchy in the store.

STs have nitrile (black), MPs have silicone (blue).
Good info, that was what my memory was thinking from reading through here. But couldn't remember how old those memories were. So the cheap Fram was a better choice given I wanted silicone but the ST MP should have silicon for the upside down Forester filter. Nice, thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
STs have nitrile (black), MPs have silicone (blue).
Since the conventional wisdom is that the ST's are the same as the MP's except for the silicone ADBV on the MP vs. nitrile on the ST....then the $11.32 Subaru filter sold at WM would actually be equivalent to the $3.87 ST and not the $6.16 MP.

In other words I'd use a $3.88 ST and save $7.44 over the Subaru filter which appears to be identical.

Last edited:
Back