Stupid Fram Cartridge design

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to use a FRAM CH9549 cartridge filter for a Ford 6L PSD. When I open up the box, I find it comes with this big instruction sheet. I go, "Hmm, this is new."
So I read them and it has drawings of two different base designs used on these engines; "A" and "B".
It goes on to say if it is a B design, install the filter as normal.
If it is an A design, you have to install this little (~25mm dia) boat prop looking piece of plastic on the top of the filter stand in what I assume to be the bypass valve.
Well, the truck in in question was an "A" design. So I tried for 10 minutes to install this dinky piece on the top of the filter stand.

I tried following the directions and start one fin and work around but it was a losing battle. It finally flipped off and dropped down somewhere in the V of the engine where I couldnt get it.

So I did the only sensible thing. I threw the Fram cartridge across the shop and acquired a Motorcraft cartridge which took all of 30 seconds to install.

Last edited:
01.gif

That's about the only good thing for a Fram cartridge filter anyhow.

Why would they have an option for the 6.0 filter, there is no different filter from Ford for that or the 6.4L. There are a lot of aftermarket filters for that engine that require changing the cap on the filter at every change.

The E body 6.0 would be where the little plastic piece wouldn't be used. You did the right thing in not using it and going with the motorcraft.

It all goes back to the Racor patent on this filter, the OE supplier for Motorcraft. At one time Fram bought these filters from Racor and they were then repackaged by Fram, but as I have read recently this is no longer the case.

FYI don't go cheap on the fuel filters on this engine either, Motorcraft/Racor only.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The E body 6.0 would be where the little plastic piece wouldn't be used. You did the right thing in not using it and going with the motorcraft.

It all goes back to the Racor patent on this filter, the OE supplier for Motorcraft. At one time Fram bought these filters from Racor and they were then repackaged by Fram, but as I have read recently this is no longer the case.

FYI don't go cheap on the fuel filters on this engine either, Motorcraft/Racor only.

I figured it was something like that. I looked down into the center tube of both filters and seen that the M/C filter has a protrusion on the top that sticks down and engages the filter stand and the Fram does not so they have this cheezy workaround.

The cartridge filter holder of the E430 has 4 o-rings, the recommend is replace all 4 when change filter. I replaced those 4 o-rings only on second filter change, because I was lazy and those o-rings looked good.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

So I did the only sensible thing. I threw the Fram cartridge across the shop and acquired a Motorcraft cartridge which took all of 30 seconds to install.

Originally Posted By: daman
Slam it before you FRAM it..

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

So last night I was in Wally World and stopped by the oil filter section for a side by side comparison. They had three filters that would fit the 6.0 liter.
  • Fram CH9549 Standard filter offered by Fram
  • Fram TG9549 Upgraded filter offered by Fram
  • Motorcraft FL-2016 / Ford 3C3Z-6731-AB OEM filter
I compared Motorcraft to the ToughGuard, and they were identical. Same height, same end plates, identical numbers stamped on the endplates, except Fram had added their part number to the ToughGuard filter. There was no notible difference in the two filters.

Then I compared the Standard Fram CH9549 to the ToughGuard. There is a clear difference. The endcaps are different. The height isn't the same. And the standard Fram has no patent numbers on it anywhere. In the past, I've found genuine Racor filter in CH9549 boxes, clearly that is no longer the case.

0924132204a_zpse385483b.jpg

0924132154a_zps8e14454e.jpg

0924132154b_zps9718c0c3.jpg

0924132154c_zps79a2854b.jpg

Originally Posted By: txgp17
I compared Motorcraft to the ToughGuard, and they were identical. Same height, same end plates, identical numbers stamped on the endplates, except Fram had added their part number to the ToughGuard filter. There was no notible difference in the two filters.

Hummm ... strange. I thought Purolator made Motorcraft filters, including cartridge type ... but maybe not based on this info?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: txgp17

Hummm ... strange. I thought Purolator made Motorcraft filters, including cartridge type ... but maybe not based on this info?

That statement is generally true, but not 100% true. Some of your slow-moving Motorcraft filters could be made by other manufacturers. About 10 years ago, I saw a Motorcraft filter for a Mercury Villager (a rebadged Nissan) that was made in Japan.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

^--- This.

The 6.0L Powerstroke is SUPER sensitive to the type of filter you use. The filter housing, the filter itself, etc. all have very specific design patents which make it extremely tough for aftermarket manufacturers to make an appropriate filter. And yes, Racor is the manufacturer of the oil filters... gotta remember that the engine isn't a Ford design, but rather from International. Bottom line is this... if it has the correct patents on it as pictured earlier, then the filter is appropriate for use (regardless of brand in my opinion). If it lacks the patents, smart money is to stay away. The 6.0L already gets a bad enough rap for other unrelated issues... the last thing anyone should want to pile on is more repair $$$ over a simple oil filter choice.

The OP made the right choice. The proper Motorcraft oil filter is just under $20 at Wal-Mart... the del-cheapo Fram is like $17.50ish... not worth it to save $2.50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000

The OP made the right choice. The proper Motorcraft oil filter is just under $20 at Wal-Mart... the del-cheapo Fram is like $17.50ish... not worth it to save $2.50.

If a guy is really tight, and has a Navistar/IH dealer in the neighborhood, purchase your filters there. Depending on the dealer, they are usually cheaper than any Ford dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back