STP filter "2 oil changes" unknown miles cut open with sludge deposits!!

Got a 1999 Dodge 5.2l Dakota. Changed the oil, at unknown miles. But I think the oil filter has 2 oil changes on it.
I say that because it looks like someone used channel locks to attempt unscrewing the oil filter, gave up, ran the filter with the channel lock scratches long enough for them to rust. I had to use a strap wrench to remove it.
You can see in the pic where the dome of the filter I kind of crushed.
IMG_20230829_184351_1.jpg

IMG_20230829_184344_9.jpg

Think I'll change the oil again in about 1,000 miles.

Last edited:
That truck and engine is worth rescuing, good find. Obligatory “check the ball joints” recommendation.

What kind of oil was used? What did you replace it with? :unsure:
It's a fixer upper my wife and I bought for $3,000. Have no idea what oil was inner.
I put mostly Pennzoil platinum 10w-30 back in and a wix oil filter back on.
I'm going to run the clock up to about 170,000 miles, which will be about 1,120 miles and change it again, which will take 3 to 4 months to run up that many miles, since it's not a daily driver.

Foreboding tales of dents in oil filters flexing with pressurization/depressurization -resulting in ruptures and destroyed engines- leave me grateful your scarred filter held.

Seriously, how many of us have engines where Channel Locks can actually fit?

The 318 was one of two V8's I had in driver's ed cars.

Foreboding tales of dents in oil filters flexing with pressurization/depressurization -resulting in ruptures and destroyed engines- leave me grateful your scarred filter held.

Seriously, how many of us have engines where Channel Locks can actually fit?

The 318 was one of two V8's I had in driver's ed cars.
I dented it talking it off. The last guy used channel locks, didn't appear to dent the filter some how. It was coming off one way or another for me.

I found the last oil change sticker.
It was done (so they say) on January 18, 2022. And instructions were to change again at 168,100. I changed I at 168,800 when I got it. I seriously doubt the toot'n totum changed the filter.
They at the very least put the oil drain plug in so tight I needed an impact wrench to remove it and I had metal slivers coming off the threads so I replaced it with a new one.
IMG_20230902_154323_7~2.jpg

I found the last oil change sticker.
It was done (so they say) on January 18, 2022. And instructions were to change again at 168,100. I changed I at 168,800 when I got it. I seriously doubt the toot'n totum changed the filter.
They at the very least put the oil drain plug in so tight I needed an impact wrench to remove it and I had metal slivers coming off the threads so I replaced it with a new one.
View attachment 176523
Well now I feel bad for the owner. The owner of the vehicle did try to follow directions (many don't) so it's not their fault that the car was probably running in bypass mode for the past few k miles.

I have 2 gallons of 5w-30 redline I'll add a quart or 2 in with the next oil change.
Got 2 gallons shipped to my door for $108 from a guy on ebay who was blowing out his stock of redline products.

Well it took that long to 2,120 miles. I ran it up to 171,00x miles and it looks like it's time to change the oil. The oil came out looking like a 5,000mile oil.

I was able to take the oil drain plug out with a 1/4 drive ratchet and 13mm socket since it was the first thing I saw in my tool bag. No problem. I like doing my own oil changes.

I'll filler up with 1 to 2 quarts of redline 5w-30 and the rest Pennzoil platinum high milage 5w-30. And an over sized wix xp 51515 rock catcher, assuming it fits....

Run it like that till 175,000 which could take a year or more.

Post some photos! I love that gen Dakota. I almost bought a 98 4x4 brand new for $20k but stupidly bought a Chrysler Cirrus instead.

Until the plastic teeth on the cam gear stripped. When that happened the 318 would bend all its exhaust valves.
I didn't know they did that....that's interesting. I drove 2 Dodge Tradesman vans with the 318 when I was teeneager and both were abused by the regular drivers (in that it was in NYC traffic making deliveries and I was the only driver who checked the oil etc...) One Saturday I had to add 4 quarts of 10w30 ....it was running on about 1 quart all week. The boss sold that one at over 100K and the guy who bought it ran it for years afterwards. I can't remember what happened to the other van but I think it was simlarly sold after I left the place.
At what mileage did those plastic teeth usually fail? You wonder why engineers make such poor design decisions?

PS: Those 4 quarts of 10w30 were 'Wolf's Head....Finest of the Fine since 1879'.

Last edited:
Back