STP S2808XL - Cut open - Unknown miles - 1 Year.

Came off a friend's 2013 KIA Rio hatchback 1.6 liter GDI 4 cylinder engine. She does a lot of short tripping and not much highway driving until recently. The former oil that came was Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic 5w-20. Current vehicle miles as of change is 78510 with "Trip A" meter reading of 5949 miles, though not really an indicator if it ran that far since its been on the same filter/oil for the whole year.

The filter held up pretty well for a whole year of use, not sure if this constitute as abuse, but as you can see has collected quite amount of sludge and deposits. The ADBV has a slight danging slit but stayed in place. Gonna wrap the filter element with shop absorbent towels with rubber bands and check back here later with some photos after its been wicked dry enough. Didn't see any tears so I'll check for that as well later.

Oil came out as expected, pitch black dark and sooty, a bit of goldish tinge stain on the shop towel in the background the oil probably barely held up, I'll let you guys be the judge on that.

20231229_135356.jpg20231229_135345.jpg20231229_160758.jpg20231229_160806.jpg20231229_160834.jpg20231229_160850.jpg

20231229_161749.jpg20231229_161225.jpg20231229_161155.jpg20231229_161149.jpg

Valvoline FS Extended Protection High Mileage 5w-30 with a new FRAM FE7317 went back in. She told me the FE9688 wasn't in stock at her local Walmart so I suggested that filter in its place. All of which was provided by her. Might do a BG EPR flush on her next drain and get her to run HPL EC in the next oil change. The oil on the dipstick was around half mark when it rolled into the garage, indicating there is some oil consumption going on.

Last edited:
What's all the grainy black soot all about? I don't think your friend changed the oil often enough.

It looks like more than 6k on that filter. Happy to hear your helping to get it setup for another year run potentially by using the FE & 5w-30. This will be interesting to see what the filter caught.

What's all the grainy black soot all about? I don't think your friend changed the oil often enough.

Its mentioned in the first post. She left the oil on for a whole year. The typical curse of having busy life. She usually goes to quick jobbers or a local mechanic for her oil changes previously. I'll be keeping track and care of her vehicle maintenance moving on forward.

It looks like more than 6k on that filter. Happy to hear your helping to get it setup for another year run potentially by using the FE & 5w-30. This will be interesting to see what the filter caught.
I told her to come back at 5K or six months whichever comes first. I should have said 3 months knowing that her car consumes and leaks a bit of oil. Might have to replace her oil pan as it has a nasty dent on it. It looked like it was replaced before at some point as I see a gray colored liquid gasket lining around it instead of the usual factory rubber gasket.

I had that same engine in a 2014 Kia Soul and it could put some nasty crap in the filter after less than 6 months and 7,500 miles of mostly highway driving. There was never anywhere near this amount and oil analysis reports looked OK... but these are not the easiest engines on oil.

I could definitely see something that did a lot of short strips with a questionable maintenance history could end up looking like this. Your plans for cleanup sound reasonable and I would make it a point to ensure that she knows how to check the oil and that she checks it frequently. These engines are known to consume oil and I would imagine the rings on this one are fairly gunked up at this point.

As long as you keep them fill of oil, the 1.6L Hyundai/Kia GDI engines seem to be much more reliable than the 2.0L and 2.4L engines of that era.

Filter looks good. Great ROI.
The filter did its job I agree, though not sure the same can be said for the engine health, some extra money has to be put down to get it back into shape.

I had that same engine in a 2014 Kia Soul and it could put some nasty crap in the filter after less than 6 months and 7,500 miles of mostly highway driving. There was never anywhere near this amount and oil analysis reports looked OK... but these are not the easiest engines on oil.

I could definitely see something that did a lot of short strips with a questionable maintenance history could end up looking like this. Your plans for cleanup sound reasonable and I would make it a point to ensure that she knows how to check the oil and that she checks it frequently. These engines are known to consume oil and I would imagine the rings on this one are fairly gunked up at this point.

As long as you keep them fill of oil, the 1.6L Hyundai/Kia GDI engines seem to be much more reliable than the 2.0L and 2.4L engines of that era.

Her vehicle makes a good candidate for a cleaning experiment. Yeah I've known for years GDI engines are very hard on oil. Already have a few cans of BG EPR in the garage to use, likely do a 30 minute idle flush with some occasional revving. I'm more interested to see how HPL EC30 works in this situation in a post cleanup oil run.

After she took the vehicle, I did give her a brief rundown of when to check the dipstick periodically and keep an eye on oil consumption and color. A few days after she did notified me that her vehicle is running better than before, the oil change made a difference.

Back