Fram Ultra 3614 cut open. 4 years/24,350 miles.

Filter was on a 2002 ES300 for 4 years, 2 months. 24,350 total miles over three oil changes. 332,400 total miles on the car.

- Impressive as it sits horizontally under the exhaust header, which will bake ADBVs and cause drain-down.
- Robust appearance and no visible dirt/grit in pleats or in filter body.
- Any damage pictured is from cutting open the can and prying out the filter (can somewhat crushed in removing and I clipped the ADBV with the snips when opening).
- You may also note the can defeated the (apparently cheap) tin snips I was using and broke the tip off. ;)

I love these as I can skip the difficult filter change until the 3rd oil change, and not suffer for it. I replaced it with one I bought at the same time, back in 2019. This car was doing 15 to 20k miles a year, but not since Covid. New driver (my retired father) and much less miles. I refilled it with 5qts NAPA 10w30 full syn + 5ozs LubeGard Blue. I am not as strict about always using Mobil 1 10w-30 HM like I used to be; adding the LubeGard has made me relax a bit on that. Miles 150k to 300k were mostly all on M1 10w-30 HM.

7D6EEA3F-8018-4049-A349-0D8783B21AE2.jpeg

1EE32BA3-53ED-4FCB-9AD6-BE5EF33D3F70.jpeg

BECA434B-368F-4E72-92D0-B8A9EDDF7877.jpeg

F199D159-5615-4B78-9C26-A71CFA53C765.jpeg

0AE5F4DC-08B5-4DF0-B214-3B21B4B7B254.jpeg

13148C05-4A90-4791-AAE4-4452E24AB8D0.jpeg

This is what is so demanding on filters on this engine (Toyota 1MZ-E). Filter is right under the exhaust header. I have to use a claw wrench to get them out and that usually crushes them. Most filter’s ADBV will cook fairly quickly but the Fram Ultra ones never do.
8DDF8D88-0ECF-4D27-AB70-D010A1F3B40E.jpeg

On my '03 Highlander, I used the 3600 in order not to struggle, I would pull it out using the filter outlet hole facing up to avoid spillage. I also used the 3600 on the older Tacomas with the 2.7L to for easier removal; works like a charm.
I used to use the taller Motorcraft filters for that reason, too (on this car). I don’t know why I didn’t do it when I bought these Frams a long time ago. I’ll definitely remember to do that for the next one; thanks for the reminder.

Hear me out. Just maybe, possibly, that filter was on the car for too long????

Fram variously rates them for 20k and 25k miles. I/we live in an extraordinarily mild climate and time is just not a factor, practically.

That said, in the past the car was doing 15k to 20k miles a year, so I was leaving them on 1.5 years max. Covid and new driver/low miles changed that. I had previously done 2x 20k+ miles intervals with them and I knew they had no issues doing that/doing what Fram said they would. My goal is 3x 7.5k oil changes for 21.5k total miles, but I forgot and this did get a little long vs. my intention. It had Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 in it the last two fills, so I didn’t worry about the oil going over a little or the filter, either.

I agree with you, that for those of who grew up tossing a filter every 3k miles, it sounds insane. But the design and technology makes it possible. It took me a little while to get used to the idea inititally. I didn’t start doing the long interval until I had seen others do it, and had cut them open and shown the results.

Did you mean 2x 10k mile intervals? 2x 20k is 40k total.
I meant I did two 20k intervals with them (2 different filters) in the past. Ran one for ~20k, swapped it and ran another one for ~20k. I usually try to do 7,500mi OCIs so in fact it’s like 22k usually.

So this one I just cut open is the 3rd Ultra I’ve run to 20k or more.

Looks good, like it got the job done. You got your money's worth out of the known quantity (now superseded media construction) OG XG Ultra.

That said, find your title warning overly sensationalized and unnecessary. The topic OG Ultra well regarded by most if not all that have frequented this subforum. In my observation, that would include those that don't prefer Fram's most common fiber end cap filter offerings. And as noted, topic XG Ultra filter 'as shown', no longer made.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
I'm sure the filter could handle it no problem. I tend to not leave filters on for more than 2 OCIs just because of the road salt spray in the winter causing them to rust, and they also seem to become exponentially more difficult to remove with the heat cycles.

The title is a bit odd & could be trying to "Entice" others. Your focus has positioned away from your topic filter & more on the "Fram Haters". Anyways, It's a 20k fram ultra with oil changed three times. Extending that to 25k in a Lexus car cruiser isn't really saying a whole lot. There may of even been more new oil added because of burn off etc. Making the filters job easier.

Look closely at the third picture. The filter appears to be very loaded. Loaded filters may by-pass, even after the oil is hot.

My opinion is that 25k miles is way to many for this application.
Interesting note.

I'd be curious to see this element wicked out for a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look closely at the third picture. The filter appears to be very loaded. Loaded filters may by-pass, even after the oil is hot.

My opinion is that 25k miles is way to many for this application.
I disagree, the oil soaked filter can be misleading. If this Ultra filter can last 20k on one oil change why wouldn't it last 25k with 3 times NEW oil. You may have an argument for a very high wear 300k+ car here or heavily towed truck (higher wear contaminates) that could cause some issues but we'd want to see a UOA on the last of the 3rd run with no oil makeup to multiply it by 3 to get a good idea of how much loading went on in this filter.

I think it did just fine though. I would still be interested in seeing it being wicked dry. If this was one oil change with no to minimal makeup oil then I'd not suggest doing it & instead go for the Endurance.

Last edited:
I disagree, the oil soaked filter can be misleading.
Yeah they can. If it were my filter, then I would cut the element out of the filter, lay it out flat and scrape the filter with a butter knife or similar. If you get debris on the scraper, you have a pretty loaded filter.

If this Ultra filter can last 20k
20k is a rote marketing number. I have no faith in marketing numbers. How long can a filter efficiently filter? It depends.

That said, find your title warning overly sensationalized and unnecessary. The topic OG Ultra well regarded by most if not all that have frequented this subforum. …

It’s just humor, don’t read too much into it.

Yeah they can. If it were my filter, then I would cut the element out of the filter, lay it out flat and scrape the filter with a butter knife or similar. If you get debris on the scraper, you have a pretty loaded filter.

20k is a rote marketing number. I have no faith in marketing numbers. How long can a filter efficiently filter? It depends.

You can see in one picture, I did scrape pleat sides and one fold with a flat screwdriver. Nothing unusual.

As impressive as it is, I'm just not one to try and save $20 on critical car maintenance. Penny wise, pound foolish?

Kinda like trying to see how you long you can go without washing your bath towel. Interesting experiment perhaps, but I'm not that fond of scrubbing my back with mold.

As impressive as it is, I'm just not one to try and save $20 on critical car maintenance. Penny wise, pound foolish?

Kinda like trying to see how you long you can go without washing your bath towel. Interesting experiment perhaps, but I'm not that fond of scrubbing my back with mold.

Honestly, it’s more like embracing the current technology and not staying stuck in the past.

“Penny wise pound foolish” is not a fair analogy and somewhat pejorative.

Back