Stop using GPS Truckers...

Once again, the Swift drivers!

swift.jpg

I drive for a local company that does OTR in all the I-35 states and east, I'm amazed at how common it is to see drivers that simply do not abide by basic road signage. I was driving through a long construction zone yesterday on I-57 in Southern Illinois and there are multiple signs posted that state that trucks need to be in the left lane. I was in the left lane and there was a white Volvo in the right lane pacing my ICC bumper and thus blocking traffic flow in both lanes. I didn't know if he simply could not read the signs or if he just didn't care?

Driving through Chicago on four lane freeways, signs are clearly posted that truck traffic needs to remain in the two right lanes but it is very common to see trucks and all four lanes blocking traffic flow for miles on end. It is terribly frustrating when you're trying to get around trucks that stagger themselves in multiple Lanes to where you simply can't pass any of them. I have this happen to me on a regular basis whether I'm driving a CDL truck or just my personal vehicle.

I drive for a local company that does OTR in all the I-35 states and east, I'm amazed at how common it is to see drivers that simply do not abide by basic road signage. I was driving through a long construction zone yesterday on I-57 in Southern Illinois and there are multiple signs posted that state that trucks need to be in the left lane. I was in the left lane and there was a white Volvo in the right lane pacing my ICC bumper and thus blocking traffic flow in both lanes. I didn't know if he simply could not read the signs or if he just didn't care?

Driving through Chicago on four lane freeways, signs are clearly posted that truck traffic needs to remain in the two right lanes but it is very common to see trucks and all four lanes blocking traffic flow for miles on end. It is terribly frustrating when you're trying to get around trucks that stagger themselves in multiple Lanes to where you simply can't pass any of them. I have this happen to me on a regular basis whether I'm driving a CDL truck or just my personal vehicle.

Interesting.
Never seen anything like that happen here.
SUVs, motorhomes, pedal bikes, and cops, rarely pay attention to laws or signs. But the truckers sure do!

If you have a pulse, they'll give you a cdl these days.

Buyer beware, some companies will give you CDL training if you agree to sign an inherently bad faith contract with them. The best example I can think of is Roehl Transport which regularly signs people up for CDL training sponsored by the company and then turns around and terminates their employment and immediately comes after them with collections trying to force them to pay $7,000 or more for CDL training.

This is one of the biggest scams I've ever seen in my life that is preying upon people who are legitimately seeking to act in good faith to benefit themselves and a company that they want to work for.

Buyer beware, some companies will give you CDL training if you agree to sign an inherently bad faith contract with them. The best example I can think of is Roehl Transport which regularly signs people up for CDL training sponsored by the company and then turns around and terminates their employment and immediately comes after them with collections trying to force them to pay $7,000 or more for CDL training.

This is one of the biggest scams I've ever seen in my life that is preying upon people who are legitimately seeking to act in good faith to benefit themselves and a company that they want to work for.
I heard Swift is like that as well.

The problem is that many CDL drivers often cant speak and read English very well.

I'm a semi mechanic and my parents are from Poland. I'm guessing when you see a Volvo semi roll in from a small trucking company, most likely he was born in Eastern Europe and cant converse well in English?
20 years ago, when I worked as a contractor at oil refineries and chemical plants doing NDT work, a condition of admission to the premises were you had to pass both a written and verbal safety procedures exam in English.

Reason being, all of the signage and procedures are written in English because even if it’s not “sanctioned”, it’s the native language to the plant. So, you had to be able to rapidly understand both signs and verbal commands from plant personnel for your own safety. No exceptions.

I’m 100% fine with that.

Thats one of the big reasons i decided not to get my cdl. Im not going to be "trained to get my cdl" and have it held over my head as they suck the life out of me day in and day out.No thank you.

The problem is that many CDL drivers often cant speak and read English very well.

I'm a semi mechanic and my parents are from Poland. I'm guessing when you see a Volvo semi roll in from a small trucking company, most likely he was born in Eastern Europe and cant converse well in English?
Those are the white Volvo mafia. The cajon pass near me is often snarled. Guys look at the gps and decide to take 138 through the mountains.

There is sign that says semi trucks not advised but it does not say not allowed so they truck on. Get to the first sharp turn and can't make it. Can't back up because of the 2 miles of cars stacked up behind them now.

Becomes a mess.

If you have a pulse, they'll give you a cdl these days.

It is an extensive course, and expensive, to get a class 1 drivers license here. We don't call it a cdl, but instead a class 1 in Canada.
A medical is also required every 2 years, so severe obesity isn't really an issue in Canada with truckers, because they lose their license due to failed medical. An extra 50 lbs sure, many can pass still, but if you are 100 lbs overweight it's unlikely.
Electronic logs have all but eliminated those drivers trying to run 20 hours without a break. Modern trucks handle better, stop better, and are also much more fuel efficient.

It is an extensive course, and expensive, to get a class 1 drivers license here. We don't call it a cdl, but instead a class 1 in Canada.
A medical is also required every 2 years, so severe obesity isn't really an issue in Canada with truckers, because they lose their license due to failed medical. An extra 50 lbs sure, many can pass still, but if you are 100 lbs overweight it's unlikely.
Electronic logs have all but eliminated those drivers trying to run 20 hours without a break. Modern trucks handle better, stop better, and are also much more fuel efficient.
They require a physical here, as well. The comment about “anyone” was hyperbole

I was behind a Polish HGV 44 ton Volvo. He was coming off the motorway and obviously unsure where he was going. So the obvious thing for me is to hang back, keep in a position so I can see his mirrors.
A Mercedes driver couldn't wait, drove up on his right side (we are RHD country, with the Polish HGV being LHD) and the obvious accident happened. Coming up to a roundabout, the Volvo turned into the side of the Merc. Amazing how expensive impatience can be.
On the topic of GPS, delivery drivers blindly following their Satnav drive up a narrow path where I live. Even though it's obviously a dead end road. They then drive full speed in reverse. The path leads to a infant/junior school. If they considered the 10-year maximum prison sentence their actions could end in, I wonder if common sense would kick in?

Before someone can even do the government road test, they must first pass all the tests and sections of a 140 hour course, plus an airbrake course on top of that.

Screenshot_20230709-130830_Firefox.jpg

Back